What's new

Looking for a good Poker

Gents,

I have been intrigued by this shape for a while and find myself with $200 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. Haven't bought a pipe in 20 years so hoping for some advice.

Any Pokers you fellas would recommend in my price range?

Thanks!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That should put you in Mark Tinsky territory. I will post a link later (firewall at work blocks his site, and any other tobacco related sites)

Everybody makes Pokers , Tinsky is great , Jake Hackert , Boswell , you name the maker , most make a Poker shape . My neglected collection has two , a Comoy The Oxford silver banded and a Giubileo D'Oro by La Savinelli (three brass dots) ... I dug them out and took a picture , ... ashamedly (I used to wonder why or how could someone let nice pipes get into bad condition , but now I know) I got careless and lazy ...

$IMG_0804.jpg

Believe it or not , they look great polished and shined up , the Comoy is Really Nice , both have Stories . Sitters are nice , they're really two Nice Pipes , hard to tell , but ... . Almost All my Pipes need polishing , and over the years I've put too much tobacco in , charred the top (my bad) , these where Estates . The Comoy looks Super compared to the way I got it , but they need work . No Rubber Soft Bit Tips for me , anymore .

Here you go. Look for the 2013 Christmas pipe. I have the same shape that was a B&B LE, and another in Morta.
http://webshop.amsmoke.com/Past-Christmas-Pipes/

Man ! That Dark Coral 2013 Christmas Poker is The One in my Book , Mark Tinsky can make some Beautiful Pipes ! Price's Tamp (no doubt) is a Tinsky matching Tamp . I found a picture of the B&B Crew at the Vegas Pipe Show (tough looking Bunch) ...

$cae66dc53a3584ea9a0a9dfe1e5c2da1.jpg

Looks like the (blaming) James Gang . haha ! Whose who ?

Here you go. Look for the 2013 Christmas pipe. I have the same shape that was a B&B LE, and another in Morta.
http://webshop.amsmoke.com/Past-Christmas-Pipes/

Thanks OC! So how does it smoke? I'm used to smoking mostly "system" pipes (Peterson, Savinelli Balsa, Cobs with a filter, etc) so I never get a "gurgle" or the subsequent mouth bite. While I know Tinsky's pipes are coveted for their beauty and craftsmanship are they "cool" smokers as well?

I realize that some of this has to do with my tobacco as well but as a general rule are these "cool" smokers?

Thanks brothers!

Everybody makes Pokers , Tinsky is great , Jake Hackert , Boswell , you name the maker , most make a Poker shape . My neglected collection has two , a Comoy The Oxford silver banded and a Giubileo D'Oro by La Savinelli (three brass dots) ... I dug them out and took a picture , ... ashamedly (I used to wonder why or how could someone let nice pipes get into bad condition , but now I know) I got careless and lazy ...

View attachment 637045

Believe it or not , they look great polished and shined up , the Comoy is Really Nice , both have Stories . Sitters are nice , they're really two Nice Pipes , hard to tell , but ... . Almost All my Pipes need polishing , and over the years I've put too much tobacco in , charred the top (my bad) , these where Estates . The Comoy looks Super compared to the way I got it , but they need work . No Rubber Soft Bit Tips for me , anymore .

Thanks for sharing the pic Judah! Those are great looking to me...and you've convicted me to pull out the cleaning supplies this weekend!!![emoji106][emoji106]

It's probably no secret than I am a big Rick Black pipes fan. Check his stuff out. Makes a great pipes including plenty of pokers.
If you go that route, you will have money left over for some baccy too.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It won't smoke cooler, but from every naked briar I have seen they will color over time. A naked briar will be in my future.

As far as the naked Briar go , I've bought two . A Pot colored nicely and survived , and I think it was a Dublin , it didn't (bad briar burn out , my one and only) , I break a Pipe in Not filling them up , like 1/4 - 1/2 for several smokes , then add and get the cake building , no fast hot puffing , but the bad spot was in the chamber , unnoticeable , burned and cracked . Oh well it happens . Shocked me at the time !

I took a pic , the stem doesn't look like this , it's like an Oscar Stem ...

$IMG_0806.JPG

I think they were like $25 or something , and I believe I bought them from Pipes&Cigars . I wanted to see how they'd color . I have a couple of System Pipes and a few Savinelli balsa filter Pipes , but I don't use filters , and wouldn't buy another messy filter Pipe . I normally don't have the moisture problem , but if I do I just put a cleaner in , tamp it , and it stops .

Here are my two pokers...fairly different interpretations of the same shape:

$DSCF4120.jpg

The little Kevin Arthur in the front weighs next to nothing. In the rear is the 2013 B&B LE.

A little history, for those who weren't around here back then: Mark Tinsky didn't often produce pokers prior to 2013. He was so pleased with the 2013 B&B (designed with significant input from our own [MENTION=22310]Argonaut[/MENTION] - also the first tamper he had ​ever made), that he decided to use the design for his 2013 Christmas pipe.
:thumbup:

Here are my two pokers...fairly different interpretations of the same shape:

View attachment 637747

The little Kevin Arthur in the front weighs next to nothing. In the rear is the 2013 B&B LE.

A little history, for those who weren't around here back then: Mark Tinsky didn't often produce pokers prior to 2013. He was so pleased with the 2013 B&B (designed with significant input from our own [MENTION=22310]Argonaut[/MENTION] - also the first tamper he had ​ever made), that he decided to use the design for his 2013 Christmas pipe.
:thumbup:

Thanks for sharing Price! I was around back then and wish I would have pulled the trigger!

Do you find yourself reaching for the Tinsky much? How does it smoke? Is that the dark coral?

Thanks!

Top Bottom