What's new

Favorite gin?

surprised there are no Plymouth or Junipero recommendations in here.
For most of my mixed drinks I have gravitated over to Plymouth. It is a really fine tasting gin. when I want to save some money I've been using Broker's gin more and more. When I want to save a LOT of money I'll use New Amsterdam.

Well, we had a blast last night! We started with a small sip of the Washtub Gin just to evaluate its flavor and qualities. From there we split a gin & tonic, in which the Washtub really shined. After that we each had a Gin Fizz, which we both agreed was stellar! My brother-in-law was really hesitant about the egg white, but it went down almost like a meringue. It was so smooth, and the lemon juice and club soda made for a really refreshing drink.

From here, we took a bit of break, with Amaretto Sours. That was fun. And I was finally starting to feel the effects of our delicious beverages.

Next, while preparing to turn on a movie for the evening, we decided to give the martinis a go. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I was not impressed. We also tried making a Manhattan, since I picked up Sweet Vermouth in addition to the dry. But the only whiskey we had available was Jack... not impressed, but willing to give it a better try another time.

We finally decided we needed a big drink to sip during the movie, so brother-in-law broke out some vodka, and we made Cosmopolitans... mostly because I got the mix on sale with a bunch of others. I successfully spritzed an orange peel and made a pretty garnish, but was too far gone to even think about taking a picture.

We settled down for the movie (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Gin) with our Cosmos

Halfway through the movie, I decided I needed something cold and refreshing, so I muddled a little cucumber with some gin and club soda and added a lime wedge. That was fantastic.

Ya'll... I got up to use the bathroom, which was up a short staircase. That part was no problem... navigating the stairs down, though. :oops:

We both agreed, the Gin Fizz was our favorite drink of the evening. It might even be my new go-to drink after the Old Fashioned. It was certainly fun to make!

I haven't been that knackered in a while.... Not since 9 months before my son's birth. :lol:

For most of my mixed drinks I have gravitated over to Plymouth. It is a really fine tasting gin. when I want to save some money I've been using Broker's gin more and more. When I want to save a LOT of money I'll use New Amsterdam.
new amsterdam? good god man. if you're really this skint we can take up a collection so you don't have to suffer.

I'm still experimenting but I have some Tanqueray and I am digging it. Contrary to popular belief, the Martini and Rossi vermouth is passable for martinis.

Ransom Old Tom, barrel aged, to sip. Plymouth or Botanist for a martini. Hendricks for summer, citrus, and tonics.

My daughter and I had martinis last night. Tanqueray and M&R. She has decided she likes a dirty martini. I like them too but not as much as I like a dry martini. I believe it's true what they say about martinis being like certain parts on the upper body of women. One isn't enough and three is too many. I apparently fell asleep sitting up watching old Grateful Dead videos. The wife was mildly amused.

Brockman's.
Went to a Gin Festival last Summer and tried lots of different brands. Some of which were very small Producers.
Can't remember many of them. (Had a few G&Ts you know) but I do remember being impressed by Brockman's.
I usually specify Hendricks in a bar because the cucumber thing works, but if I have had a few and the taste becomes less important I go down market and specify Gordon's because it's so reasonably priced and at one time was 'The Taste of Gin'. Hendricks is very smooth to be fair and as a Gin drinker I am delighted that the market has opened right up and for once I am in FASHION!
Beefeater is always cheap here too. Perfectly acceptable on a night out after a few snifters.
Dennis Thatcher was well known for a quick 'Snifter'...Big G&T fan.

Top Bottom