What's new

Tarp tents / camping

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One bushcrafty-kinda tarp, finished.

tarp.jpg

Refused to invest time wax-treating this canvas, as it's a bit small. So I sprayed a can of Gorilla brand clear rubber sealant on it. It says it does fabric. Also, half a can of silicone I had for good measure, then some spray paint. Between the three, ought to keep off a surprise shower - which is all it's intended for.

AA

For group camping, we would sometimes use Visqueen (sp) which is just poly sheet used for construction, etc. Instead of grommets, the lines were secured using little hollow rubber balls with the tarp material wrapped around and secured with a noose. Cheap and cheerful.

I prefer something bug-proof for sleeping nowadays.

As part of an emergency kit we do carry a poncho each, and a 3x2m Andes which has its grommets busted but is still waterproof. We clip the ponchos together and with a little Atwood microcord and 4 ultralight stakes you have a great 'A' frame emergency tent for 2. Just use the line as the ridgeline between 2 trees and pitch the Poncho tent using that as your ridgeline. The 2x3 tarp (about 1lb) makes a great floor which hugely adds to livability.
Just to expand a little on this @Ad Astra which I think is still relevant to your great thread.

Here are some photos of the emergency poncho shelter. There is a floor as mentioned above also.

We trialled it summer before last. Its part of a work in progress of what we call the Modular Universal Survival Unit (great name lol)

This involves two cans each person, 6"x 4"x 2" cans, one with firemaking equipment, water purification and storage, cutting tools, directional equipment (button compass) lighting, consisting of rechargable mini torch with strobe (about 300 lumens and the size of a AA battery) emergency blanket (part of the shelter system). Second can consists of first aid equipment and food (2x tea bags, buillion cube, dextrose tablets and 1 sachet of instant oatmeal) This is proving fun to assemble and figure out. Both cans are connected by 2 ranger bands.

The Ponchos and 2x3m tarp provide the shelter element. The MilTec ponchos are amazingly light and pack flat, weigh about a pound. We carry them anyway, so incredibly versatile so it seemed a good idea to create a good emergency shelter with them. 3 ultra light alloy stakes and about 10 feet of Atwood micro cord go into each poncho bag.

Here is the Poncho shelter set up on a trial run
IMG_20220715_192052165.jpg

Guy who needed to lose a stone modelling shelter for scale. I'm 5 8" so gives an idea. (He subsequently did lose a stone. The perils of good living)
IMG_20220715_184759878.jpg

Ideally to be pitched via a ridgeline of microcord, between two trees ideally about 12-15 feet apart. Sloppy initial pitch but we managed to get it much tighter and thus roomier in subsequent setups.
IMG_20220715_184740540.jpg

Needed to guy it out better there, but a first run. Note roominess. Perfect for 2 people. Also stealthy.
IMG_20220715_192103476.jpg

Detail of poncho roof shelter when clipped together. Fold in, then clip. This arrangement makes a weatherproof top seal. The ridgeline runs under nicely.

The sacks are the poncho hoods. They can be sealed via the drawstring arrangement as used as hoods.

The ponchos have about 5 feet of cordage which is used to tighten the poncho around the body when worn. Co-incidentally they make excellent guy lines to maximise internal room when guyed out in shelter mode.
IMG_20220715_192149081.jpg

Internal pic, giving an idea of space.
IMG_20220715_192206715.jpg

Another view.

This is a work in progress, including can kit assembly. With the floor this should make a highly livable space for 2. The space blankets act as makeshift sleeping bags.

We will be trying them out overnight in the next couple of months, when our woodland is open again for the season. I will provide links to products if interested.

The whole setup including cans weighs about 2.5 lbs each. I carry the floor which weighs an extra 1 lb but hugely improves the shelter. I can't expect the Mrs to carry everything lol. Ponchos and cans are easily carried in our daybags and can be split into pocket carry if wearing a good jacket and cargos.

I hope this post is relevant to a tarp thread!

Oh, and by the way, on the grommets busting issue. Here is Coalcracker (the BEST bushcraft teacher, he has a way of making a 4 minute video tip that you remember forever) with a brilliant solution to massively reinforce even the cheapest tarp..

I hope this post helped to amuse and get some extra insights onto tarps and the wonderful poncho!

I will set up a seperate thread documenting our gear assembly and progress with photos. It may be helpful and entertaining to others interested in outdoor fun.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@Alum Ladd Simon, totally relevant and the European perspective is especially appreciated! (Our next generation kids in Northern Italy were camping in snow around Christmas, would have really enjoyed being with them! One day.) We're watching the same guys; love Dan/Coalcracker but hadn't seen that one, thanks.

Shawn/Corporal's Corner uses GI ponchos and the Swagman poncho/liner a lot, in order to create improvised shelters. In cold weather I always have a "woobie", slang for poncho liner. Emergency poncho always in kit but I'd rather get wet than unwrap it, lol.

Good luck with the MUSU kit. Seems like a variation on the 24-hour or get home bag. Bouillon is great, packing Japanese soup powders in mine. Bouillon added to rice is easy eats!

Planning a dark sky astronomy trip soon. Ironically, bears are probably a greater threat on my local dayhike than the deep woods; good old boys up there will eat them, whilst local housewives here will drop the bag of trash and scream at them. And these garbage bears are bigger than the woodsy ones. Hence tarps; I want a shelter that's easier access...

AA

Last edited:
Top Bottom