What's new

Tarp tents / camping

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The bushcraft guys I enjoy watching on YouTube - Canterbury, Coal Cracker and the Corporal - all seem to have settled on tarp-shelter camping configurations, usually with waxed canvas. They are a bit heavy and expensive, if you don't make one yourself. Got a decent camping style tarp recently, inexpensive and ripstop nylon (much lighter) to explore this option.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 8.16.02 AM.png

Important things are to NOT have grommets through the tarp itself, and those nifty tie-downs on top - key to securing and folding this thing into about a hundred different types of shelter.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 8.16.40 AM.png

This cheapie is acceptable and if proof-of-concept works, might get a waxed canvas one.

Any bushcrafty-style tarp campers here? What to you think of the idea? It's just so versatile.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:devil: I used to care about bugs, but these days it's bears. Like the idea of rolling out of there in a blink. Besides, we just had a nice freeze sterilize the woods - for a while.

Like the idea for dayhiking, too. Been caught by rain on "non-raining" days. Fly this thing on any number of points and stay dry.

Now, a lot of these bushcraft guys embrace all the old school stuff, like cooking on ancient Cold Handle pans etc. I don't see that. Ancient methods, modern materials seems a good call. This one, I think, is 2 lbs something, waxed canvas is 4-6 lbs.

Oh! Size. This one is 10.5x10-ish, but I'd go with 8x8 in canvas.

AA

We carry 3mx3m tarps all the time. For summer use we have a very cheap Andes, a UK firm that makes excellent gear at good prices. For cold early spring or autumn use we use the Uniglow reflective tarp. We exclusively use tarps to cover fire pits and create a cooking and day living area. With the Uniglow we have achieved under tarp temps with a fire of 28c with the outside temps -4c. These both weigh just under 2lbs.

The Andes has been with us 4 seasons now. Had it deployed in 60mph winds, crazy rain, just pitch low. The Uniglow 3 seasons. They have lived through about 10 named storms. We usually do 7-8 7 night camps a season.

We began camping with a bushcraft approach but realised we preferred tents, so adopt a kind of hybrid approach. However tarps are critical compenents of our loadout. We fold them, never roll, so they fit into our 105L bergens better.

They can be pitched in a variety of ways in this configuration, low, high or with wind or weather facing sides low. They work fantastic with a low fire.
IMG_20210424_203637191.jpg

Sorry for lousy pic quality. This was just before full dark, weather calm and forecast good. So quite a high pitch.

As part of an emergency kit we do carry a poncho each, and a 3x2m Andes which has its grommets busted but is still waterproof. We clip the ponchos together and with a little Atwood microcord and 4 ultralight stakes you have a great 'A' frame emergency tent for 2. Just use the line as the ridgeline between 2 trees and pitch the Poncho tent using that as your ridgeline. The 2x3 tarp (about 1lb) makes a great floor which hugely adds to livability.

Tarps rule! (And ponchos)

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We carry 3mx3m tarps all the time. For summer use we have a very cheap Andes, a UK firm that makes excellent gear at good prices. For cold early spring or autumn use we use the Uniglow reflective tarp. We exclusively use tarps to cover fire pits and create a cooking and day living area. With the Uniglow we have achieved under tarp temps with a fire of 28c with the outside temps -4c. These both weigh just under 2lbs.

The Andes has been with us 4 seasons now. Had it deployed in 60mph winds, crazy rain, just pitch low. The Uniglow 3 seasons. They have lived through about 10 named storms. We usually do 7-8 7 night camps a season.

We began camping with a bushcraft approach but realised we preferred tents, so adopt a kind of hybrid approach. However tarps are critical compenents of our loadout. We fold them, never roll, so they fit into our 105L bergens better.

They can be pitched in a variety of ways in this configuration, low, high or with wind or weather facing sides low. They work fantastic with a low fire.
View attachment 1788742

Sorry for lousy pic quality. This was just before full dark, weather calm and forecast good. So quite a high pitch.

As part of an emergency kit we do carry a poncho each, and a 3x2m Andes which has its grommets busted but is still waterproof. We clip the ponchos together and with a little Atwood microcord and 4 ultralight stakes you have a great 'A' frame emergency tent for 2. Just use the line as the ridgeline between 2 trees and pitch the Poncho tent using that as your ridgeline. The 2x3 tarp (about 1lb) makes a great floor which hugely adds to livability.

Tarps rule! (And ponchos)

Simon, you definitely get it! :a14:I'm also a hammock camper, which means, ridgeline lover also ... I'm just struck by the on the spot versatility- you just come across some natural feature and make it work. A "flying tarp" is awesome shelter and easy.

The tarred, twisted cordage known as bankline is also a game-changer. I generally use a lot of paracord, but cut it for specific jobs, melt the ends, and use for task. With this cheaper bankline, strong as can be, and can carry tons of it. Very good for some odd tarp configurations - might need some long tiedown etc.

Upon reflection, we used to winter camp with the tents open so the dog could come and go. I think I don't like being enclosed any more while in the brush. But yeah. I don't want another tent - I think. Need to get out there.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Did get a $12 painter's canvas tarp to experiment with. Also bought some hard plastic tarp corner-clip grabbers. Unsure why the bushcraft guys don't use or mention, but these things grab a corner hard, and since there's a folded and sewn seam, they should really hold.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 8.28.58 AM.png

You can also use a toggle and grab the top in a couple spots - or the sides - to balloon it out. Even should one clip break, they're light enough to carry a handful.

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I also think that a canvas/cloth folded-over tarp could be a great poncho or over wrap in freezing weather, but nobody mentions that either. People mind carrying a heavy pack more than wearing warm clothing, lol.

Staining or painting this natural color canvas is next, possibly a tea stain. I'd like to wax it, rather than the smelly silicone caulk/thinner waterproofing route.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hee hee. Boiled a half can Lapsong Souchang and another of English Breakfast, both expired in 2019.

Added salt to ionize and soaking this tarp in a bucket now. Already, it's a decent light brown- very natural - and smells like smoke from the tea, lol. Where I camp, matching the color of sand would be very good.

After a couple days, I'll add white vinegar to set the color. Then we'll see about waterproofing ...

Hand painting this with hot wax would be time consuming. Need to bucket soak. Wonder if wax will dissolve in a carrier solvent, such as thinner ... Hmmmm...

AA

Last edited:
SilNylon. Grommets are not bad per say, they are an invaluable feature. The method of attachment and reinforcement is critical to strength and durability in the system.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
SilNylon. Grommets are not bad per say, they are an invaluable feature. The method of attachment and reinforcement is critical to strength and durability in the system.
SilNylon is wonderful stuff. I do have a grommet punching kit, but in our wind, even heavy nylon tarps shred at the grommet points. It is a hole in the material. The old "tie a musket ball in the corner" thing will work, but I'm going to give these clips a try.

Canvas has some wordless appeal. It's tough, though with the curse of heavy to carry. This one is very small, 6x9, and is totally an experiment. Not even a square, so I can't do some of the cool configs. But it's meant for dayhiking shade, or shelter from passing T-storms. Perhaps cover or bivvy, or flying tarp above. Or a beach blanket.

AA

Last edited:
My brother goes the tarp and hammock route too in hot weather. He uses canvas drop clothes from Harbor Freight and then treats them somehow. He went camping last week and when it's cold he modifies his approach and even takes a stove.
1707166080022.png

Important things are to NOT have grommets through the tarp itself, and those nifty tie-downs on top - key to securing and folding this thing into about a hundred different types of shelter.

Sorry, I am tempted to join this conversation, but I don't understand this part, and I'd really like to. Could you please explain / elaborate ...?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sorry, I am tempted to join this conversation, but I don't understand this part, and I'd really like to. Could you please explain / elaborate ...?
Sure, though I'm a rookie/learner at tarps. It's a bushcraft thing.

Some hold that grommets weaken the tarp, so the one I bought (nylon, top) has bar-tacked attachment points.

They can be made into many types of shelter - many x many - using natural features or situations you come across. You wind up with a lot of stakes and lines, though you can make stakes. And the line can be a long roll of bankline.

Just more versatile than a tent, which is always ... a tent.

Some ideas:

AA

SilNylon is wonderful stuff. I do have a grommet punching kit, but in our wind, even heavy nylon tarps shred at the grommet points. It is a hole in the material. The old "tie a musket ball in the corner" thing will work, but I'm going to give these clips a try.

Canvas has some wordless appeal. It's tough, though with the curse of heavy to carry. This one is very small, 6x9, and is totally an experiment. Not even a square, so I can't do some of the cool configs. But it's meant for dayhiking shade, or shelter from passing T-storms. Perhaps cover or bivvy, or flying tarp above. Or a beach blanket.

AA

Not sure I understand the wind part. I have had tarps in 30+ mph wind. The tarp has to be pitched low and correctly oriented to the wind with the appropriate number of tie downs. Never had one shred.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Not sure I understand the wind part. I have had tarps in 30+ mph wind. The tarp has to be pitched low and correctly oriented to the wind with the appropriate number of tie downs. Never had one shred.

Finished the tea dying and set it with vinegar/salt soak. Drying now ...

fdgg.jpg

It's a fine khaki / sand color that will work on our shores ...

vcb.jpg

Can still see tea leaves drying on it, lol.

6x9 is way too small for anything but a bivy or flying shade tarp, though. These clips, I am going to test. They have six teeth and are wider on the bite part ... they gotta work.

@ctr , I've had grommets tear and heavy nylon tarps shred in the northwest wind, but not camping - when attached season-long to the pergola. Wind is relentless and will win in the end, it's just a matter of time. A destroyed tarp while camping, yeah, was likely set wrong. Or you were out there for months ... :) This is hurricane alley; we've had tarp roofs on homes for months and years. They go ...but hopefully you get a new roof before that! We did.

EDIT: Mrs. AA took one look and said, "If you think THAT's going to get me camping ..."

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Weather and illness slowing me down (hope you got your flu shot. I did not somehow, and had two full weeks to reconsider my mistake).

However. Got the cheapest wax possible - big dollar store white candles - and WILL be melting/waxing this little tarp soon. It's smaller than advertised :facep: but still has use. Besides, who doesn't love waxed canvas?

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I need to try this. Growing up in Tx we always used a tent to try and keep the snakes and scorpions out of our stuff. It was always a blast of adrenalin when you’d pick up the tents footprint and about 10 scorpions would go scurrying in all directions.

When my wife and I backpacked a portion of the AT a lot of the through hikers were using tarp shelters, with or without a hammock.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I need to try this. Growing up in Tx we always used a tent to try and keep the snakes and scorpions out of our stuff. It was always a blast of adrenalin when you’d pick up the tents footprint and about 10 scorpions would go scurrying in all directions.

When my wife and I backpacked a portion of the AT a lot of the through hikers were using tarp shelters, with or without a hammock.

Adam, I admit I got a fist-sized $20 mosquito net - just in case! :c6: It'll fit under any tarp footprint. (Had a scorpion jump in my toolbox once while fixing something under a house, and I had to keep reaching in there ... horrible but funny). And I am a hammocker too, have a Warbonnet XLT also).

These YouTube tarpers always light fires to chase bugs, but that may not be applicable in all sites.

AA

Top Bottom