What's new

Baby's First Straight Razor!

Hey guys, I took a short break from this forum but I'm back now.

I got this about a month or so ago, a 6/8 TI evide sonnant extra. I think eventually I'll get some blonde horn scales made but for now I stick with the stock plastic.

It's a pretty darn good shaver, though I'm not getting quite as close as a I do with my shavette (especially on just one pass) if thats even a fair comparison given how different they behave. Any suggestion on getting a finer shave?

Thanks!

$IMG_1447.jpg

Prepare for a three page thread on how to get the best shave.

I'll say this (if you can read it):

This is my typical regimen as well, and it's indeed foolproof.

$ultimate honing.jpg

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you don't mind chasing down the perfect honing progression to get that blade light saber sharp you can get it pretty close to shavette level. At the same time you will need to alter your technique a bit because you will need that razor to maintain a certain level of sharpness for longer than the time you would normally swap out a new blade in your shavette. A lower angle, scything strokes and good beard prep will help a lot.

Prepare for a three page thread on how to get the best shave.
I'll say this (if you can read it):

This is my typical regimen as well, and it's indeed foolproof.

Totally! I've yet to get into honing or touching up the edge with pastes. When I bought it, they said they took it to 8k then 12k stones. I lack a good reference but I wouldn't say it was "light saber sharp" as Kentos put it.
I feel like it's shaving better after a month though, probably just because of better technique on the shave and on the strop.

Enjoy it! Just got mine back from a scale fix. This was my first SR also, except it's 5/8

I was looking at the 5/8 too but I'm glad I went with this one, I really dig the extra weight behind it. Almost makes me wish I got a big wedge-- with scales fashioned from the cooled core of an imploded star or something!

Extra heft was what drove me to my second SR, A 6/8 hart steel. Way different feels. I would not say one better than the other, just different. Plus the hart steel is a longer blade which I had to be mindful about.

Top Bottom