What's new

Cutting down on what I carry. Is there any need to carry insurance, store cards, etc?

Right now I have my licenses (drivers and fishing), 1 credit card vehicle insurance and medical insurance cards, a Kroger card, and a couple of business cards with my bank account #'s on them because I can't never remember.
Oh, and some cash.
Anyway, I'm thinking I could toss the Kroger card, and the bank account cards, but is there a need to be carrying those insurance membership cards?

I take photos of my insurance cards since I always carry my phone on me. There are also apps for smartphones that you can scan your store cards so you don't need to carry them. You could program your bank accounts into a contact in your phone as well.

Great tip on photos of various cards. I had not thought of that. Duh!!

I take photos of my insurance cards since I always carry my phone on me. There are also apps for smartphones that you can scan your store cards so you don't need to carry them. You could program your bank accounts into a contact in your phone as well.

"Key Ring" app on the phone keeps all the cards and even the bar code so they can still be scanned.

You could always just carry your essentials in your go to wallet and put the non-essentials in a separate wallet and tuck them away in your car's glove box until they are required.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I carry drivers license, insurance card, and one debit card. Loyalty cards are all tied to a phone number. I keep the library card and credit cards at home, as I know ahead of time when I will be using them.

Good call on not having the bank account cards on you anymore. :)

I'd make sure to keep your insurance card on you. It's helpful in the event of an emergency. But loyalty cards can usually be tied to a phone number, so no need to carry those around.

You have to determine what you need and don't need.

I only carry my driver's license, medical and dental (though I'm not sure why on the latter but it's a paper card and has negligible thickness) insurance cards, AAA card, a few credit cards and my ATM/debit card. At Kroger, Walgreens & Petsmart I can punch in the phone number associated with their programs though I generally avoid using such stores as there are stores that don't have these annoying programs.

Auto insurance stays in the car unless I'm traveling and renting a car or one of our cars is in the shop and we have a loaner or rental in which case it's in the loaner or rental.

I don't carry bank account numbers but I really don't have any day-to-day use for them. Any account numbers I need are in 1Password on my phone, laptop & tablet.

Generally no cash either. It just tends to evaporate with no record of where it went.

but is there a need to be carrying those insurance membership cards?
For medical I'd say yes. Could be useful if in an emergency -- especially if you're not conscious or don't have that info memorized if you are conscious. Is you auto insurance info useful when you're not in your car?

Last edited:
I carry drivers license, insurance card, and one debit card. Loyalty cards are all tied to a phone number. I keep the library card and credit cards at home, as I know ahead of time when I will be using them.

Our Kroger cards are tied to a phone number, so I just enter the phone number at the store.

+1, very handy. I don't think I've ever physically handled my Walgreens rewards card.

Legion

Staff member
This is my EDC wallet. Drivers license, public transport card, 1 credit/debit card and some cash.

I have absolutely no reason to carry more day to day.

proxy.php

For the past year I've used a Saddleback Leather card sleeve and have loved it. I keep 5 credit card sized cards in it, a few very thin insurance cards, and then a couple emergency $20 bills folded up. I usually don't carry any additional cash, but if I know I'll be needing it, then I'll also carry a money clip. The card sleeve easily slips in my front pocket, which was what I was originally hoping to achieve since I was tired of sitting on a wallet.

The Saddleback sleeve is really well made and is under $20. One word of warning for anyone who would get one of these is that everything will fit VERY snug initially, but will be fine once it's broken in.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
"Key Ring" app on the phone keeps all the cards and even the bar code so they can still be scanned.

I checked the Key Ring app. It looked really good but it wanted to have a store for each card, this did not work for me here in NZ.
All good there are other options. I downloaded FidMe and just scanned my AA card with no issues today.
Thanks Doc, my wallet has just got smaller.

Top Bottom