What's new

Heljestrand help

Hi everybody,
I'm an Helje enthusiast, and started one and half years ago to collect them. Now I came across a model who seems older than usual: tang is fat and a little barreled, spine is prismatic with large slopes; blade is surely worn-out but looks different.
Size of scales is like 32 model, so was a big razor; on the tang is possible to read M...., top of tang is serrated, bottom of tang is curved and scales are made of ivory; all this put it into the group of high level models ( from MK 29 up). Anybody can give it a name and a date?
Thank's
Paolo

$P1020370.jpg$P1020369.jpg

I'm sorry to tell you this but that is an unmarked Heljestrand thumb notch razor, most likely a 32. that someone has honed/ruined by honing it with a grinder.

Polarbeard, thank's for your opinion; I'm not so sure: I have many Helje, from MK 2 to 134 and no one has same tang and spine; I have MK 32 and tang is bigger; spine is round and stops high, this is prismatic and has slopes, and a little longer; space between the 2 shoulders is double than 32........I don't know; maybe some older specimen......

This thing is so ground up that the little spike that tells a 32 from 5, 6 or 10 is gone. The grind on those 3 is different l, but again with what you have left it is not possible to tell them apart. Also I once heard that the ivory scales on all heljestrands were identical...

Judging from the stabilizers the blade has been narrowed tremendously. I'd guess the razor we're looking at is not the razor the maker intended, which makes identification rather difficult.

This thing is so ground up that the little spike that tells a 32 from 5, 6 or 10 is gone. The grind on those 3 is different l, but again with what you have left it is not possible to tell them apart. Also I once heard that the ivory scales on all heljestrands were identical...
The ivory scales differ in size but are identical in shape.

This is the difference: I have ivory scales on 29/30/31/32/33 and 134 and all them has different sizes but the same shape: the pivot side ends with a pointed shape; in this case, scales have the same curved line, but end with a round shape; and neither 133 or 134 have so big stabilizers.....

Top Bottom