What's new

Best kind of razor for beard neckline?

Hello to all you guys who wear beards....what is the best type of DE razor to shave the neck growth when wearing a beard? I haven't used any of my DE razors for maintaining lines around my beard. It's been several years since I attempted a beard, gf wants me to grow it out. I gotta keep it neat and tight around the edges so which style of razor will give me the least amount of irritation and get a close shave on the neck?

I used to use my Mach 3 or Fusion around the beard, and the shave was smooth but only lasted a day. I don't wanna lop off the beard trying to get in there with a DE....will my trusty Super Speed work just fine?

Thanks all, :a8:

I don't have a beard these days but for any type of close-in and trim work I like the profile of a Tech. For the back of the neck to hairline area I can use just about any DE effectively. I do so 1-2 times per week.

I just use my trust Mercury 34G. Works fine, but I do trim the beard quite short every couple of weeks.

I'm not interested in trying straight razors yet. And money is tight so I can't go out a buy a Schick injector style razor :( I will just use my SS and hope for the best! Thanks guys.

I'm not interested in trying straight razors yet. And money is tight so I can't go out a buy a Schick injector style razor :( I will just use my SS and hope for the best! Thanks guys.

I find a DE works just fine, but having also used an Injector and Feather SS, a DE takes third place. As with everything here, personal preference is King. Keep us posted.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I use my Futur to cut very close to my beard line, Van Dyke. Never had a problem. I do find that a straight (or Feather Kamosori straight) can cut just a hair closer (pun definitely intended). With a little practice you should be able to get as tight to your beard line as you want.

You can buy a shave tt for less than $2 on ebay and they have them for about $8 at a Sally Beauty retail store. They use a DE blade you break in half (while in wrapper). Sounds perfect for what you are looking to do.

I use my Futur to cut very close to my beard line, Van Dyke. Never had a problem. I do find that a straight (or Feather Kamosori straight) can cut just a hair closer (pun definitely intended). With a little practice you should be able to get as tight to your beard line as you want.

This.

I put some pretty sharp lines on my van dyke with a de. If you can do it with a cart, you can do it better with a DE :)
(I also have a kamisori straight, but I'm better with my DE)

Gillette techs, super speeds, and aristocrats work well for me. It's important not to run when shaving this area to kick yourself beard line neat.

Sorry, meant to say Merkur 34G, not mercury. It was corrected by spell check. I first use a beard trimmer on lowest setting for what needs shaving off, before the razor.

I rotate through many different razors, and they all will get the job done. I will say a 3 piece like a Tech dose do a little better at getting into tight places than a TTO. An OC works well if you need to bring a line in a little without cutting down with trimmers first, but can take to much if you aren't carful. As others have said shavettes work very well if you want really tight lines and have the time. All and all there is no reason to go out and buy a new razor for your lines, but there is also no reason not to go out and buy a new (preferably old) razor either.:001_rolle

I don't have the most steady hand in the world, so I don't think a Straight or Shavette is for me right now. Although I can imagine exactly what you guys are talking about with getting real close to the beard with them. I may, at some point, pick up one of those cheaper shavettes you guys suggested, but right now money is real tight so it'll have to wait awhile.

I last shaved with my OC Gillette NEW, and shockingly got a very crappy shave from it. I did everything right from beard prep to soap prep...had a fresh sharp GSB in too. I got left with lots of redness and razor burn especially on my left cheek area. Now that my beard has come in for 2 days....I got nothing but extreme itching where the razor burn was at, and a lot of little white zits with the hair follicle inside it. I gotta say that was one of the worst shaves I've had since using DEs. What upsets me the most, is it came from on of my fav DE razors. I guess ya win some, ya lose some. Don't matter now anyhow I want to take a break from shaving and change up my appearance a bit. Appreciate all the helpful advice guys!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have found a single edge is best. I am not afraid to admit the Gillette Guard does a great job also.

For what ever reason the rounded head of the DE just doesn't cut it for me when trying to edge my beard.
I prefer to have a more narrow head. Something that allows me to better see the blade, where it is cutting.

For what ever reason the rounded head of the DE just doesn't cut it for me when trying to edge my beard.
I prefer to have a more narrow head. Something that allows me to better see the blade, where it is cutting.

I found the same thing. And a multi-blade cart lacks precision.

Top Bottom