What's new

Meat Eaters Check In

I made a bison stew yesterday with Yeti Imperial Stout. (HT to Great Divide Brewing Company for the recipe.) It is supposed to be best when kept for a day, so we will eat it after the Broncos destroy the Steelers this afternoon. I'll post pics when it is ready to serve.

Bison. The other Red Meat!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What happened? I forgot to post my ribeye.

$IMG_1678[1].jpg$IMG_1680[1].jpg$IMG_1681[1].jpg

$12642975_10154530098643275_8379937900474812406_n.jpg

Sadly, my wide was away this week on a business trip, so to console myself I went to a very good restaurant here and had a Wagyu sirloin and a bottle of Burgundy. As one does... Chef Francois serves it with a Epoisses gratin, which even though I am trying to cut down on carbs I cannot resis.

My wife is at her mothers for the day, so I'm fending for myself. It's also in the upper 40's outside - a good enough reason to fire up the Weber kettle!
I left the local Mariano's with a rib steak and a hanger steak. The best part was at checkout when the rib steak rang up with a unexpected $6.99 discount - two great steaks for under twenty bucks!
Both were seasoned with kosher salt and then sat for an hour. I've only recently started grilling hanger steaks; it's a cut I was always eager to try but could never find, even at butcher shops. Luckily this Mariano's usually has them available .
The hanger went on first, followed a few minutes later by the rib steak. The both came out perfectly medium-rare. I only had about a quarter of the hanger steak, wanting to save the rest for later - which was really hard because the cut has SO much flavor!

$IMG_20160130_151756887_TOP.jpg$IMG_20160130_152814835.jpg$IMG_20160130_153101985.jpg$IMG_20160130_153837289.jpg

I too love meat. Oxtails (perhaps my favorite braised meat), and a shoulder roast. View attachment 630039View attachment 630040
Oxtails and chicken necks always went in my great grandmothers and grandmothers red sauce. My mother still makes it the same way, oh, and Italian sausage both hot and mild. And of course stuffed peppers.
I lived in Omaha when the stockyards were there, and my grandfather worked for Armours, we always had good beef.

For steak, I only get ribeye. The meat shop I like is about $15/pound though so I don't go too often. I cook mine using frying pan and oven method and they're so juicy and good. I don't actually have a grill; people think I'm weird.

speaking of ribeye....it's my favorite as well...last night I fired up the Weber and slapped 3 nice ones I got at HEB (grocery store) for $19...served with baked potatoes they were awesome!! I figure we can't eat dinner out for $20....so the steaks are such a great option....easy and tasty!!

I use the screaming hot frying pan and 500 degree oven method for filet mignon...works awesome!!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My wife is at her mothers for the day, so I'm fending for myself. It's also in the upper 40's outside - a good enough reason to fire up the Weber kettle!
I left the local Mariano's with a rib steak and a hanger steak. The best part was at checkout when the rib steak rang up with a unexpected $6.99 discount - two great steaks for under twenty bucks!
Both were seasoned with kosher salt and then sat for an hour. I've only recently started grilling hanger steaks; it's a cut I was always eager to try but could never find, even at butcher shops. Luckily this Mariano's usually has them available .
The hanger went on first, followed a few minutes later by the rib steak. The both came out perfectly medium-rare. I only had about a quarter of the hanger steak, wanting to save the rest for later - which was really hard because the cut has SO much flavor!

View attachment 633830View attachment 633831View attachment 633832View attachment 633833

As much as I love ribsteaks, the hanger is one of the tastiest parts of the cow. If you enjoy those, search my oddball steak thread in the mess hall for others you may want to try.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Grinding some hanger steak into your blend makes for one of the tastiest burgers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As much as I love ribsteaks, the hanger is one of the tastiest parts of the cow. If you enjoy those, search my oddball steak thread in the mess hall for others you may want to try.
[MENTION=259]ouch[/MENTION], how do you deal with hanger? I was thinking of doing what I do with skirt fajita.

$IMG_0414.jpg$IMG_0415.jpg

Lurking by the butcher's counter in the local supermarket last week in France, I spotted a slab of entrecôte: in my schoolboy French I asked for a rib and ended up with 1.5kg of prime beef. Lunch was hot with sauted pots and veg, dinner was cold in baguettes and a bottle of Bordeaux. I quite enjoy our French escapades...

$IMG_0349.jpg$IMG_0351.jpg$IMG_0352.jpg

A few days before that, I got the butcher to cut a couple of thin faux-fillets for a late breakfast on the Sunday with organic eggs from our friends' hens.

Top Bottom