What's new

BBS: How Important?

BBS threads wax and wane on this forum. I observe that they are currently on the increase. This post simply asks the question; Is BBS the pinnacle of shaving success? It seems that many of you will try most anything to achieve the enjoyment of a silky face. There are also many who simply wish to get a comfortable, presentable shave. What's your preference?

Personally for me to be able to achieve a BBS without nicks or irritation is the pinnacle of success in shaving. Of course,If I was able to do it, I wouldn't usually do it, because it takes quite long and it's not so noticeable for others, but I think it's nice to have the ability to achieve it and give youurself that treat once in a while. By the way, I'm quite far away from that stage.

To stick with your question directly, No, not for me.
It is not just a BBS shave alone. For me, it would include great lather, a smooth, non irritating shave, calming after shave that refreshes my face and a cologne / EDT that made the start of the day something special.
In my real world, I try and get as smooth a shave as possible but NOT at the expense of irritated skin. So far I am batting 900 +.

some days depending on time and razor I am using I go for it most often I don't, but even in a rush I still take considerable more time to enjoy my shave now then I other wise would have using either cartridges or elec,

I haven't achieved full face BBS. I'm still working on nick free and burn free. When I do both it will be a pinnacle. But then there has to be another Pinnacle after BBS, right?

The pinnacle of wetshaving is whatever you want it to be - for me, its the ability to get good, smooth shaves on a consistent basis - when BBS happens, its great, but there are very few days when I'm not happy with my shave.

Also, its having a shave regime that makes my face happy :biggrin:

For me, I don't try for the BBS. It's more about getting a comfortable, presentable shave. I started doing this because I never could get an irritation free, comfortable shave using normal mass merchant gells and disposables. And since I had to shave ( I don't look right in a beard), I was in search on a technique that made this daily chore bearable. Now it's actually become a pleasant activty rather than a chore, and I think my face has benefitted as well.

for me its bbs, but not at the cost of irritation. good thing there is no shortage of good products to help.

The pinnacle of wetshaving is whatever you want it to be - for me, its the ability to get good, smooth shaves on a consistent basis - when BBS happens, its great, but there are very few days when I'm not happy with my shave.

Also, its having a shave regime that makes my face happy :biggrin:

He took the words right out of my mouth....well said.

When shaving five times per week to go to the office, I almost always try for a fairly close shave. For special events, I go on for BBS. Occasionally, I get carried away on one of my routine shaves and go for BBS.

I'd guess that overall, I probably go for BBS about 20% of the time.

Tim

Back in the days of shaving with one of the cartridge "systems", I would re-lather and re-shave a couple of times trying to get rid of the rest of the stubble. I pressed that cartridge hard against my face, hoping that the extra pressure would give me some extra closeness.

Two summers ago I discovered B&B, ordered a Merkur razor, and started getting decent shaves.

There is something that I love about running my hand over my chin or my neck and feeling nothing but smoothness. No stubble, not even roughness for the first few hours, it's just smooth, from any direction.

I have always gone for the extra pass(es) to give me extra closeness, at the expense of a little redness and irritation. This probably isn't the best choice but it's what I do.

There are those of us who will never achieve BBS with a DE, no matter how many passes we do - many people with very sensitive skin (like me), and uber-tough beard or unusual hair growth patterns won't get as close as they did with a cartridge razor. And, although I DO get BBS with my Sensor Excel (still a great razor, in my opinion) I just prefer shaving with a DE - a close, comfortable, enjoyable and irritation free shave is all I want and that's what I get from my DEs, whilst my Sensor is just a functional, no-frills utility that does the job with the minimum of fuss, albeit very well. I suppose it's like the difference between a bacon double cheeseburger from Burger King and making your own burgers with a blend of meat cuts, herbs, spices etc etc etc.

BBS threads wax and wane on this forum. I observe that they are currently on the increase. This post simply asks the question; Is BBS the pinnacle of shaving success? It seems that many of you will try most anything to achieve the enjoyment of a silky face. There are also many who simply wish to get a comfortable, presentable shave. What's your preference?

BBS is over-rated.

I strive for a smooth shave and just enjoy the entire process. I can not get a bbs under the chin along the forward jaw line, growth pattern will not allow. A bbs for me is not the goal.

Any shave that does not leaving me looking as if I just lost a fight with my cat and / or with so much irritation that I ask myself why did I shave then that is good.

I'm happy with getting a nice clean shave without irritation and ingrowns, this is impossible fore me without wetshaving, so I'm happy

I love getting a BBS shave without irritation, sort of a culmination of technique and practice, good tools and good preparation. I just can't help reaching up and stroking my face every once in a while during the day...the product of a little time to myself in the AM.

I don't think I will ever bet a "TRUE" BBS shave,but I get great,close and irritation free shaves every day. Without this forum that would be just a dream.:wink::wink::biggrin:

Top Bottom