What's new

What's Cooking 2016

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My wife asked me if we could repeat last night's dinner. Hard to deny an earnest request.

Brown and wild rice, and red peppers substituted in. Even better.
$Brown and wild.jpg
$Winner Chicken Diner.jpg
$Happy Baloo.jpg
Happy Baloo (Balou)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sometimes a simple burger is a treat. I spoiled myself with this dome a couple of years ago. Good for melting cheese. Doing this inside as it was a miserable rainy day. Add the cheese, splash of water and cover . . . voila. The second pan was being used to toast the buns but I rested one burger in it as I did the veggie burger for my wife.

$lid.jpg
$Burger.jpg

Have a nice slippery seasoning on the pan . . . put it under running water and used a soft nylon brush and put it back on the still hot burner with a bit of olive oil. Easy cleanup.

$Pan.jpg

BBQ'd Burgers for us tonight too.

Pork/Beef with grilled onions, old cheddar and fixings on a butter toasted bun. Oh yeah, they were double burgers.

In front of the TV with a Coke. It was delicious.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nicely done Bruce and Mike, it's burger time of year.

Early in the week my wife picked out this weekend's menu...

This year tomato production has been brutal so this is only the second time this growing season for these, a scarcity of worthy candidates to fill the roll, tomato sandwich with the fixin's- tomatoes from the back garden, not sure of the variety, sweet onion, home canned dills, arugula, Danish blue cheese, Hellmann's, it's what we have up here, sweet relish and grainy Dijon mustard on a grilled Black Truffle ciabatta. One more time until late July 2017, fingers crossed.

Side of spicy/sesame cole slaw and jalapeno chips. For dessert my wife made her first apple pie of the season. I had to get Macs as Northern Spys aren't ready yet but still super tasty topped with Greek yogurt. ( We got our first Honey Crisps of the season last weekend- fantastic!)

Pelee Island Baco Noir for refreshment, this stuff has been great with everything.

Music- some "Supercharged Rock 'n Roll" comp...

Oh yeah... for some protein tucked in a grilled ground beef patty.

Old photo but the same wine (and now 2015's).

dave

Homemade Italian sausage (cheese & parsley), peppers, red skin potatoes w/a couple glasses of my 2015 Chilean Cabernet S that were extra from bottling today.

$image.jpg
$image.jpg
Tom

Beautiful plates guys, my wife's clamouring for those beets, another garden failure for us this year.

My wife's doings today, i was only required to stay out of the way, stick my head in the oven, bake. Used a pizza steel in there heated at 500°F for an hour.

#1 Garlic & olive oil topped with provolone/fontina
#2 Garden tomato sauce, partially dried garden tomatoes, muffalata mix, capriny goat cheese, basil
#3 Garden tomato sauce, hot pickled peppers, extra hot Hungarian sausage, mushrooms, fontina/provolone cheeses

These are our three standards. Home made dough, nice chewy crust. i think this is the first cold weather concession in the kitchen, it's now okay to overheat the kitchen.

The three of us all eat them in a different order...dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Extra wine Bob? Man that looks nice.

White bean weekend I guess. We had some Creole Étouffée with shrimp last night. A whole can of white beans is a bit much with the veg for my wife and I so we had a bit with breakfast this morning.

Étouffée sounds to me like "et tu fais" in French . . . translated to "and you do". Anybody from New Orleans have the origin??

Pic of breakfast:

$Eggs and.jpg

Red dabs in on the eggs and beans are hot sauce . . . not Dave's ultimate which I've still to figure out a good use for.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The best pasta I've had in years. Another Chef's Plate meal. Too easy to believe. The kitchen still smells of oregano and fresh basil.

$Pasta 1.jpg
Onion, garlic, and tomato . . . how can we go wrong
$Pasta 2.jpg
Yeah cream sauce . . . 1/2 cup of cream, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, and a bit of Parmesan cheese.
$Pasta 3.jpg
Mix it all up and fresh basil on top
$Pasta 4.jpg
I like my carbon steel pan so 30 second wash and back onto the still hot burner to dry.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
In honor of National Pork Month, I had pork chop and eggs for breakfast. I just salted and peppered the chop, then dropped in in the cast iron with some olive oil. I didn't realize I was out of garlic, or I would have added it prior to the chop. I have one chop left, and will get some garlic on the way home. I may toss some balsamic vinegar in with it- does anyone think Balsamic vinegar would go well with pork?

Last edited:
I find Balsamic pretty universally good addition. A nice thick balsamic syrup/reduction drizzled over the top... but before committing dip a small piece and give a taste. I always enjoy a sweet bit of something in a forkful of pork.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, take a walk on the wild side!

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Cooked a couple of slow roasted Lamb Oyster cut shoulders and made a shepherds pie with a sliced potato top for a change of pace.

$20161007_184726.jpg

Top Bottom