What's new

Most Aggressive DE?

My first shave of the year this morning was with the 2011 version of the Muhle R41, which I recently acquired through the BST. I saved it until today for my first shave so I could start off the year with a bang. I notice the head is both shorter and slimmer than my 2013 version of the same razor.

The 2011 shaves noticeably different from the 2013. It's not as smooth as the 2013, and the blade is much more apparent. After one shave, it's too soon to tell whether it provides a closer shave than the 2013, but it certainly is quite close.

What I find interesting is that the first shave of the 2011 was quite similar to what I experience with the Ikon Shavecraft Tech, which I have used frequently for a couple of months. In both the 2011 and the Ikon, the blade scrapes in an audible and tactile manner that none of my other razors do. The ATT H2 comes close, but the FaTip, Wolfman open comb adjusted to .74mm blade gap, ATT S2, Slim adjusted to 9, Old thin cap, Old thick cap, New long comb, New short comb, etc.--even the 2013 R41--are all much smoother. The 2011 and Ikon feel, to me, like what shaving with a straight razor must be like (although I've never tried a straight and could be way off).

What I further find interesting is that I really enjoy the relatively rough experience of the 2011 and the Ikon. Have I found the two most "aggressive" DE razors out there, or am I missing one? What's your experience?

The Vanta uses a DE blade. I don't get it out much but it can reward you with a sense of accomplishment.

attachment.php

Graydog

Biblical Innards
:lol:
Yup. If you are OK with the relatively rough feel from the legendary R41-2011, you should try a devette. Make your own by replacing the baseplate with a washer or by removing the teeth from (for example) an Old Type.

:lol:

I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm trying to keep the hardware on the bathroom counter attractive (my wife notices) and am not really handy with modifying tools. Also, I do appreciate some degree of protection from the blade. If there's not a stock DE razor as aggressive as the 2011 R41 or Ikon Tech, I'm happy with what I've got. Besides, I started a year-long restraint today, and can't buy anything for a year anyway. I'm just curious if I'm missing a particular aggressive razor despite my relentless study of the topic on this wonderful forum.

The most agressive DE razor ever: Roedter 1909. Once loaded the blade doesn't even bend, it's a Fatip but something went wrong during the production. I shaved a couple times with it and I really loved it, no nicks no irritations.

I feel the most blade exposure on the slants I have (Merkur 37C and Hoffritz). I don't know if they qualify as "most aggressive" but they are by far the most aggressive of my collection. I need to be on my game using them or my neck will pay the price. Given that, they give extremely smooth, very close shaves. Just not something to use early in the morning when you're trying to rush out the door :)

That's makes me antsy just looking at it. I hope I can get that out of my mind before I hit the sack tonite.

The Shavecraft Tech is unquestionably the most aggressive DE I know, along with some 30's and 40's bakelites.
They marginally outperform my Spitfire R41, although that too is lovely.
The European bakelites are overlooked by many but some of them do give a very smooth and very very aggressive R41+ shave.

And the devette is a whole lot of fun and needs to be experienced to be believed.
By definition it must be the most aggressive DE since it has infinite blade gap and exposure.

But I prefer the Shavecraft Tech which behaves like a devette with an automatic skin stretcher.

In fact the Shavecraft Tech is giving me a bit of a RAD crisis - I think I might like it even more than my Streamline or newly acquired Cobra Classic, even though I don't want to :)

The Shavecraft Tech is unquestionably the most aggressive DE I know, along with some 30's and 40's bakelites.
They marginally outperform my Spitfire R41, although that too is lovely.
The European bakelites are overlooked by many but some of them do give a very smooth and very very aggressive R41+ shave.

And the devette is a whole lot of fun and needs to be experienced to be believed.
By definition it must be the most aggressive DE since it has infinite blade gap and exposure.

But I prefer the Shavecraft Tech which behaves like a devette with an automatic skin stretcher.

In fact the Shavecraft Tech is giving me a bit of a RAD crisis - I think I might like it even more than my Streamline or newly acquired Cobra Classic, even though I don't want to :)

After my second shave with the 2011 R41, I agree with you. Today I was able to dial it in a bit, and already know the Shavecraft Tech is a more aggressive razor. I'm not sure it shaves any closer than the R41, but it is certainly more intimidating.

The aforementioned Roedter is accepted to be more aggressive then a 2011R41. I have a Le Grelot DE with a bladegap you can turn a truck in, which when held correctly gives a very smooth and thorough shave, until you manage to get the angle just wrong, in which case it will bite. Same goes with my all-plastic Mulcuto diagonal, which might be the most aggressive DE I've shaved with.

I would like to submit, for your consideration, the Merker Futur on setting 6. With a sharp blade it is very aggressive indeed.

I guess thats why I never tried a Shark razor blade. Heck why did'nt they just name them Piranha Reds or something. I can't bear to try them and that picture on the package is NOT helping.

Theoretically, isn't this as aggressive as it gets?
<chuckle>
I've once actually tried shaving with a bare DE blade (carefully) pincered by thumb and opposing digit. (The operative word there is "tried".:wink:)

The 2011 and Ikon feel, to me, like what shaving with a straight razor must be like (although I've never tried a straight and could be way off).
Although I no longer use straights, I have so for many years, and will point out, a straight functions quite differently from a guarded razor; that the blade of a typical straight has a whole lot more heft, also contributes to the difference.
I&#8217;d say, a Dovo-style shavette is something, somewhere, in between the 2011 R41, and a typical straight.

The 2011 shaves noticeably different from the 2013. It's not as smooth as the 2013, and the blade is much more apparent.
The 2011 R41 and (highest-set) Futur are by far the most aggressive razors that I&#8217;ve tried.
However, the 2013 is an entirely different beast: it&#8217;s rather a hybrid, vs a typical open-comb. I agree with you, that the 2011, is not as smooth; for me, it&#8217;s actually night and day (to be honest).

Last edited:
The Ikon Shavecraft Tech is efficient, but smooth. I actually cut myself less often with it than the Fine Superlite lol. The last time I shaved with my Ikon Tech, I didn't even feel a harsh alcohol sting with the Aqua Velva splash. It shaves me closer than any other DE razor I've tried. I agree with the description on the Ikon website, it is indeed an aggressive masterpiece. For the most comfortable shaves, you get the most by ditching blades after one use. I got some tug when I went for shave two with the same blade.

I am surprised to be saying this, but the <£5 Platinum Rapira Lux DE is as aggressive as the Ikon Tech and R41 but much much smoother

Top Bottom