What's new

Clinic: Open 24 Hours

Based on conversation from the Photo of the Day thread, I would love to see a clinic thread. Somewhere to post pictures for people to rip apart, bash, critique, even give pointers and help those of us who know what almost amounts to nothing about photography. I'd like to start with a picture I took last week that I really enjoy, but it gives me the feeling I should have more background in it? I don't know, you bash it!
Hopefully this takes off and others jump in, because I would love to sit here and read everyone's pointers and digs at everyone's pictures, and hopefully I can get to the point where every time I think something, you guys are all saying it, because that then means I'm at least learning!
Like I said, I will begin. Now with all this said, and the first picture put up, keep in mind that my photography skills are in their infancy, and that the camera I use is a point and shoot model, though at least a 'better' one. So, no lens switching for me!

Have at 'er people:

Great idea for a thread:001_smile
You will definitely see a few of my pics here, I will leave the critique to the more experienced photographers.

Great idea for a thread:001_smile
You will definitely see a few of my pics here, I will leave the critique to the more experienced photographers.

Critique from all eyes is the best way to learn. Experienced photographers tend to look at things a bit differently that "regular joe's", we have a tendency to over nitpick things (especially our own work) where others will simply look at things and thing its a lovely photo. And other times we get in a rut of doing the same things and overdoing things, especially in post processing.

So basically, don't refrain from posting critiques because you don't feel you are experienced enough! And remember, experienced photogs get in ruts and shoot crap a lot too! Fresh eyes help to point things out!

Based on conversation from the Photo of the Day thread, I would love to see a clinic thread. Somewhere to post pictures for people to rip apart, bash, critique, even give pointers and help those of us who know what almost amounts to nothing about photography. I'd like to start with a picture I took last week that I really enjoy, but it gives me the feeling I should have more background in it? I don't know, you bash it!
Hopefully this takes off and others jump in, because I would love to sit here and read everyone's pointers and digs at everyone's pictures, and hopefully I can get to the point where every time I think something, you guys are all saying it, because that then means I'm at least learning!
Like I said, I will begin. Now with all this said, and the first picture put up, keep in mind that my photography skills are in their infancy, and that the camera I use is a point and shoot model, though at least a 'better' one. So, no lens switching for me!

Have at 'er people:

Great thread, maybe we can get this a sticky please? Some things I would like to see....that works well on other forums with these threads....

1. Request people to put if they are allowing their photo to be edited as an example. Just a simple "No editing please" or "editing allowed" in your post with the photo works well. This allows people to do simple edits like crops, color corrections and other various post processing to your photo so they can show you how it could be made better. A lot of times with photo critique it is easier to show than tell.

2. post photo details when you have them available. General EXIF data stuff. Its hard to give good advice if we don't know what was done to get the results you have.
Camera
Mode shot in
Lens
Approx focal length
Shutter Speed
Aperture
ISO
Lighting if any was used

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as your photo, I like the composition a lot. It is an interesting subject matter, good composition and use of rule of thirds. Though you could have had it a bit tighter to eliminate quite as much grass as below. Overall the biggest problems I see with this photo is
1. it is a bit soft. I have no idea what you were shooting with so I can't give any advice there.
2. it is over exposed. There is a lot of area on the wall and especially in the grass where the photo is blown out. This means it is now pure white and all detail is lost.

Nothing to do with the image or content, but the uploaded picture's too big to be seen at the standard browser settings without scrolling the image or reducing the browser size to below 100%. (Tried it on a couple computers.)

For me, the busy area above the door and window keeps drawing my eye away from the important elements of the composition, scrolled up so they are cropped out, again for me, results in a much stronger overall image.

Nice idea for a thread!

dave

This is an interesting idea for a thread. I could, definitely, learn a great deal, here.

With regards to your photo, Cash, I would have to agree with KCPhotog's 2nd point, although I really like the composition.

Excellent advice. I should have posted this stuff before! Anyway, from what I remember I was in aperture mode, ISO was 80, and it was a horribly sunny afternoon. And if anyone should want to, I have no objections to anyone editing anything I post in here at all. I'd reckon that would make what some people say a little easier to grasp? My grasp of the technicalities are limited so far, which I was I'm keeping with the point and shoot for now, and have not yet experimented on full manual. The camera I use by the way is a Canon SX510 HS.

Respectfully, I'd like to suggest a few rules and such for the thread.

Firstly, it would probably be better to rename the thread "Photo Critique Thread" or something, so everyone understands what it's actually supposed to be.

Secondly, here are a few really good ground rules ripped from a successful photo critique thread on another forum:
Some Form Of Critique Is Mandatory
- If you are uncomfortable critiquing other peoples photos, then provide one on your own photo; state your intentions, say what you like/dislike, what worked and what didn't. This will give people a starting point when talking over photos and will help lead to discussions on how/why certain decisions are made.
- Try to make all posts relevant to the discussion of someone's images - gear talk and general chattiness should be constructive or redirected to a more appropriate thread.
- Avoid low-effort critiques. If you're not sure if your critique is low-effort, write a bit more and dodge a probation

General Rules:
* Please limit yourself to 3 photos per day.
* Critique is mandatory. Please be constructive and provide reasoning for your observations.
* Don't post pictures of your pets (unless they are awesome).
* Maximum width or height of any image should not exceed 1024 pixels.

Thirdly, I HIGHLY suggest we encourage people to use Flickr/500px as they automatically shows the EXIF data for most digital shots. They also allow one to post "small" versions of the images, which are linked to full resolution shots, so we don't end up scrolling through pages of giant images.

Fourthly, I recommend people DON'T post photos they think are their best. You should be posting images you think you could have improved upon.

If this is all agreeable, it should go straight in the OP, or maybe we can start a new thread with these rules and some others. I'd be more than happy to start a new thread with a robust OP with some info on photo sharing accounts, rules, and critiques in general.

Last edited:
Rules sound good to me. Although I have no idea what EXIF data is (I know). I post through Imgur, is that any good?

I would say a combination of the rules he posted and I posted would be a good start.

Exif data(or Meta data) is the information gathered by your camera stored within the file of the photo. It contains all kinds of info, camera, time, date, ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture, Camera mode, Flash mode, histogram...etc.

I would also highly recommend Flickr over any other photo hosting sites. It is a free to use site made for photographers. One great thing is it will maintain your exif data as long as your photo has it.

Well that's handy. Now I'm going to have to look into that. Also, try my best to get the hang of paying attention to and remembering this stuff.

Great idea Cash. I love thee challenge and the opportunity this thread will provide. So I'll jump in. Have at 'er gents.

$DSC_0095.jpg

Thirdly, I HIGHLY suggest we encourage people to use Flickr/500px as they automatically shows the EXIF data for most digital shots. They also allow one to post "small" versions of the images, which are linked to full resolution shots, so we don't end up scrolling through pages of giant images.

This is Warren's playground and I will allow him to lead the discussion as to how he wishes to have this idea put into fruition, but I will make one point.

I HIGHLY suggest that our members don't use Flickr (or any other hosting site). Should a member decide to do some housekeeping on their hosting site, the images are lost to B&B and a photo thread without images is pretty senseless.

This is Warren's playground and I will allow him to lead the discussion as to how he wishes to have this idea put into fruition, but I will make one point.

I HIGHLY suggest that our members don't use Flickr (or any other hosting site). Should a member decide to do some housekeeping on their hosting site, the images are lost to B&B and a photo thread without images is pretty senseless.

I strongly disagree. With evidence.

The B&B uploader and host is not lossless like Flickr is. Basically it compresses your files and you lose detail and resolution. For many other threads on here and any outside the darkroom section that is perfectly fine. But when you are talking about a critique thread such as this you need to maximize on the TRUE image quality and resolution, not be showing off a knocked down quality. I could be wondering why someones image has fuzzy lines or is getting moire when all along it is only because they went with a lower quality host such as B&B or Photobucket or something and there was a loss in quality.

Flickr is a VERY stable photo host made for professional photographers. I have used them for over 10 years and never had them lose a photo or break a link. It is not like Photobucket or some of the others where if an account is inactive it deletes it.

Here is a link in the test section of a test I did between the B&B uploader and Flickr. These are very clear detailed photos and you can really see the loss of that detail in the B&B uploaded photos. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/477518-Photo-test?p=7904032#post7904032

Another thing to notice is the colors. You can really notice it on the grenedes, the B&B image is more of a brown where the Flickr image has more orange to it.

The images uploaded through the B&B uploader are very muted in color and appear flat.

I strongly disagree. With evidence.

The B&B uploader and host is not lossless like Flickr is. Basically it compresses your files and you lose detail and resolution. For many other threads on here and any outside the darkroom section that is perfectly fine. But when you are talking about a critique thread such as this you need to maximize on the TRUE image quality and resolution, not be showing off a knocked down quality. I could be wondering why someones image has fuzzy lines or is getting moire when all along it is only because they went with a lower quality host such as B&B or Photobucket or something and there was a loss in quality.

Flickr is a VERY stable photo host made for professional photographers. I have used them for over 10 years and never had them lose a photo or break a link. It is not like Photobucket or some of the others where if an account is inactive it deletes it.

Here is a link in the test section of a test I did between the B&B uploader and Flickr. These are very clear detailed photos and you can really see the loss of that detail in the B&B uploaded photos. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/477518-Photo-test?p=7904032#post7904032

You may not agree with what I am telling you, but I am saying it for a reason. We have far too many threads here in which images have gone missing. It doesn't make sense to have a thread in which the image is discussed suddenly lose images.

Don't worry, I have a Flickr account (and a few others) as well. The advantages to linking off-site are more than offset by the disadvantages to the Administration of the site.

With all due respect, it simply does not make any sense to have a thread on critiquing photos when you are requesting the photos to be uploaded through an uploader that kills the image quality. That's like telling people they have to visit the Louvre but only wearing the wrong prescription of glasses.

I completely understand your point. And like I said, in any other area of the forum I would tend to agree. But in this case it does not make sense.

Perhaps, post the pic; then your written bit and end with a smaller file loaded right in. Then the smaller file is there as a reference for later should anything happen to the link ?

Ok, so we have a couple of sets of rules, thanks guys.

So far we have

Some Form Of Critique Is Mandatory

- If you are uncomfortable critiquing other peoples photos, then provide one on your own photo; state your intentions, say what you like/dislike, what worked and what didn't. This will give people a starting point when talking over photos and will help lead to discussions on how/why certain decisions are made.
- Try to make all posts relevant to the discussion of someone's images - gear talk and general chattiness should be constructive or redirected to a more appropriate thread.
- Avoid low-effort critiques. If you're not sure if your critique is low-effort, write a bit more and dodge a probation

General Rules:
* Please limit yourself to 3 photos per day.
* Critique is mandatory. Please be constructive and provide reasoning for your observations.
* Don't post pictures of your pets (unless they are awesome).
* Maximum width or height of any image should not exceed 1024 pixels.

1. Request people to put if they are allowing their photo to be edited as an example. Just a simple "No editing please" or "editing allowed" in your post with the photo works well. This allows people to do simple edits like crops, color corrections and other various post processing to your photo so they can show you how it could be made better. A lot of times with photo critique it is easier to show than tell.

2. post photo details when you have them available. General EXIF data stuff. Its hard to give good advice if we don't know what was done to get the results you have.
Camera
Mode shot in
Lens
Approx focal length
Shutter Speed
Aperture
ISO
Lighting if any was used

Anything you would like to be added or amended?

We can clean the thread up when we are happy with the layout.

Three pictures a month for me is fine :tongue_sm
I like the sound of it so far. On a side note, I tried Flickr and it kept asking for my Yahoo ID, that I don't have. So I figure if anyone wanted to try and edit of one of my pics to demonstrate something, I'll just provide a link to my Imgur file so they can take it from there. For viewing purposes I'll upload the picture with the insert image button on here.

Top Bottom