What's new

Defective Ikon 102 slant

Well one thing a person could try.... Greg doesn't get much love here, (I think he has been banned?? Old, before my time drama?? Correct me if I am wrong.) But there are other places one could find on the web where one's concerns seem to get a little more prompt, polite attention when they are brought up in a forum thread type atmosphere.....

I still don't understand why this thread is moved to here from DE razors forum. A mystery.

It's curious that Greg emailed me link to this thread in his last email to me.

I won't be surprised if mods ban me. Something fishy going on here.

I still don't understand why this thread is moved to here from DE razors forum. A mystery.

It is likely that they see this thread as more of a customer service/company review than about the razor itself. Those kinds of threads go in the shopping and deals with all the other vendor reviews.

If you kept the vendor out of it and just reviewed a flawed razor it would have most likely stayed in the DE forum since you would actually have been talking about a razor.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a system email him every time a thread about Ikon pops up or else somebody else emailed him about it.

The warranty states: (emphasis mine)

Warranty

iKon products are under a 6 month warranty to the original owner from the date of purchase against defects in material and workmanship.

Warranty does not cover buyer’s remorse, damage due to improper use, normal wear and tear (e.g. scratches) as well as defects that have a negligible effect on the operation of razor and or item.

To obtain service within the warranty period have a copy of the original purchase receipt and simply contact us ([email protected]) and we will repair or replace the defective part.

Shave with the razor and the good one. If the defective one does not perform well then you have a case under their (crappy) warranty. If you are shelling out that kind of money then you should get a perfect razor any time. According to the wording of that warranty a razor with gouges out of it could be sold and as long as they don't affect the shave he will not warranty it as defective.

If he still refuses to replace it then go to your credit card company and have them file a case against him. Companies are different but if he refuses they will just reverse the payment for you in most cases.

The blade doesn't clamp down as rigid as the non-defective razor.

At this point I just want refund. I don't want to take chance on another razor. I don't want to go through return process hassle once again. I'm tired of his rudeness.

Keep me updated with this please... and good luck with your refund!

I just commented on the Rockwell Razor Company's good customer service in response to their customers that bought their initial offering. Rockwell is supplying new razor heads to people who bought their V1 heads. Turning around an issue that could have sunk them with good customer service.

I do not own a Ikon razor, but was considering a Tech razor - hearing the reply to this situation and based on unfavorable posts I have read about the customer service Ikon provides - will make me reconsider my purchase of an Ikon razor.

There is a small engine repair guy I have used 2x that is 1/2 mile from me. Both times I have gone there have been horrible experiences. Other friends and neighbors have experienced the same thing. I now go 1/2 hour away and will not deal with it - why, because customer service does matter.

I am in CS and have been for 15+ years - sometimes having to deny service. Everyone can have a bad day, but when it is a pattern - it is a red flag.

Not at all. Discussions of vendor issues such as this (QA/QC, warranty fulfillment, etc) live in the Shopping and Deals forum. A question of "does this razor look right?" would have stayed in the DE forum, but the discussion of warranty fulfillment and vendor performance that followed qualified it for Shopping and Deals.

I hope you're able to get some resolution for your issue.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Have you tried the proper angle?

Attachments

• $el4IF.png
    $el4IF.png
    7 KB · Views: 215
  • $511px-Erhu_player_at_Harvard_Square,_Cambridge,_Massachusetts_by_Dan4th.jpg
    $511px-Erhu_player_at_Harvard_Square,_Cambridge,_Massachusetts_by_Dan4th.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 217

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I too was thinking of trying one of the slants from icon But after you have brought to the light , I will not support someone with that kind of CS. I think it is BS not CS

Sorry to read this. I don't know how vendors can give poor service and remain in business.

I hope your situation gets resolved positively, but it doesn't seem like it will.

I was sitting here with an unopened Icon slant box reading that first post. I opened the box and inspected it carefully. It looks like the OP "Non-defective" photo. Had I known there were problems with Ikon's warranty, I would not have purchased, and will not purchase again knowing now there is a history of poor service.

I quite cautiously purchased an iKon DLC slant recently, however I did purchase it from a vendor as opposed to iKon directly. The vendor that I purchased it from is one who I trust that had I had an issue would have dealt with me on it, and handled it without having to tie in iKon.

I have a 102 and an original iKon OC, and I've had others in the past. Never had a problem with quality or customer service from iKon or any of its dealers. I'd buy another iKon razor if I needed one.

As others have said, does not say much for their customer service. I have no experience - positive or negative - with Ikon.

For me, customer service is paramount in picking company I do business with. In contrast, Stan at ATT goes out of his way providing superior customer service on warranty and other issues.

Funny. I had a very similar experience. I purchased a slant (102), and it arrived with a noticeable scratch on the cap, and damaged coating in another spot. I sent him an email, asking about it and I got a reply of "send pictures". That's it. Sent pictures, then got a reply of "send original invoice" or something laconic like that. I sent that as well, and the reply was just a copy/paste of the warranty. Any other mail was ignored completely. This is an 85$ razor! I expect it to be in perfect condition, and maybe to survive quite a few years. Plus shipping and customs (I'm outside the US), it was a hefty sum. I then filed a dispute with PayPal, and he was rude enough to claim that I'm trying to pull a scam on him. The nerve on this guy! All I wanted was either a replacement, or a partial refund to the price point of blemished razors according to the pricing in his own website. At the end, PayPal refunded the amount I asked for, but on their own dime (didn't charge him). If I had seen any kind of a hint to his awful service, I'd never would have purchased any of his products. The only thing I found in the DE sections was praise for his wares and how wonderful and mild is the 102 slant. Only after posting about his awful service people started to come out and say "it's widely known" and stuff. I'll never buy an ikon product, or a product that includes a handle of his. How he stays in business and keep a loyal fan base is beyond me.

Funny. I had a very similar experience. I purchased a slant (102), and it arrived with a noticeable scratch on the cap, and damaged coating in another spot. I sent him an email, asking about it and I got a reply of "send pictures". That's it. Sent pictures, then got a reply of "send original invoice" or something laconic like that. I sent that as well, and the reply was just a copy/paste of the warranty. Any other mail was ignored completely. This is an 85$ razor! I expect it to be in perfect condition, and maybe to survive quite a few years. Plus shipping and customs (I'm outside the US), it was a hefty sum. I then filed a dispute with PayPal, and he was rude enough to claim that I'm trying to pull a scam on him. The nerve on this guy! All I wanted was either a replacement, or a partial refund to the price point of blemished razors according to the pricing in his own website. At the end, PayPal refunded the amount I asked for, but on their own dime (didn't charge him). If I had seen any kind of a hint to his awful service, I'd never would have purchased any of his products. The only thing I found in the DE sections was praise for his wares and how wonderful and mild is the 102 slant. Only after posting about his awful service people started to come out and say "it's widely known" and stuff. I'll never buy an ikon product, or a product that includes a handle of his. How he stays in business and keep a loyal fan base is beyond me.

There are some folks who for some reason are fanboys of a particular razor, product, or company and nothing will dissuade them from that. Maybe it's that their ego won't allow them to admit they made a mistake or error in judgment.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

Part of the trouble is that a lot of folks seem to think that their personal lack of problems is proof that no such problems exist, or even can exist. Imagine we were sitting side by side at Peter Lugers at you said, "Gee, my steak is kind of tough." Think of how insulting it would be if I were to respond, "Too bad for you- mine's like butter!"

One should always attempt to be circumspect in offering opinions, and prudent in attaching their name to a recommendation.

I shipped it back. Let's see what happens. He still says that there is nothing wrong with it according to picture and he might send me back the same razor if he thinks there is nothing wrong with it. Here on this thread, I have pictures of both good and bad razor together and there is clearly a difference, he still says I'm wrong. And he says he is following this thread. If I don't get a perfect replacement or refund, I will be filing with my credit card company. All I want is a razor that is perfect like the other one he sent me, simple as that. This was second time I did business with him and this will be the last. I was thinking about buying Open Comb Deluxe in March for my father's birthday but now I will not. From now on, I will never buy any Ikon product ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom