What's new

Red Wing Beckmans

Decided to pick myself up a early Christmas gift. They are not comfortable at all...but if they break in like my Iron Rangers they will be once the leather insole starts to mold to my foot.

Not a great picture but I decided to go with the Dark Cherry Beckmans.
$boots.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not a fan of Beckhams or Iron Rangers, but if the leather is anything like their other premium line boots, they will feel fantastic really soon (and only get better as the get older)

Great choice IMO!! I have the black Beckman oxfords. These need time to break in properly. Then they are terrific IME! :thumbup1:

Great choice, I have the same pair. Didn't take long to break in and very comfortable. I was surprised that I had to go down a full size for these boots though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Great choice, I have the same pair. Didn't take long to break in and very comfortable. I was surprised that I had to go down a full size for these boots though.
Down a size compared to regular off the shelf? That was the case for me because I have a wide foot- I was used to buying a size or so up to get a good width.

I had to go down a size too. I usually wear 11 and went with a 10. I knew to go a full size down already though because I also own a pair of IRs.

Are they made in America or China?

I have a pair of RW safety boots and a pair of Oxford street shoes ... both are Chinese made.

I preferred to get the American versions, but the difference in price put the domestic varieties way out of reach for me.

Made in Merica! I think all the heritage line are if I'm not mistaken.

I was surfing the net and noticed sierra trading post has some 2nds if you want to go that route. Ive had good luck with 2nds before.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~red-wing-boots/

Thanks for the link. The 30% off does make them more affordable.

But shoes are one thing I prefer to buy in person. IMHO, you can't get a good fitting by mail order. Even two pair of the same style and identical size will feel different when you try them on your feet. When it comes to RedWing shoes, I always seek out a local company-owned store for their expertise and selection, and buy my RWs there instead of shopping around and picking them by lowest price.

That Sierra Trading Post does have some other items that look appealing, particularly under the Kitchen category.

+1. Shoes are best purchased in person, especially if these are expensive IMO! Difficult to assure the best fit online.

I have a pair of the 100th anniversary Beckmans. I don't know what it is about them, but I get compliments on them and I have worn them for several years. Once they break in you will really like the way they fit.

Congrats on the new boots. My Black Cherry Beckmans were my first pair of really good boots. It did take quite awhile to get them broken in (my Iron Rangers only took a third of the time to break in), but it was definitely worth the effort! Not only are they really comfortable but they look even better now that they've had some usage.
I'm a weird size (13.5) so I went with a 13. I also bought them online via Zappos, knowing I was taking a chance - none of my local Red Wing stores had them in stock. Luckily they were a perfect fit.
Here's a thing; NEVER use boot oil or mink oil on these, go with a shoe or boot cream instead. Get a neutral cream - I like Venetian or Saphir Renovateur, though the Red Wing cream works well too - and use a shoe brush. They'll take on a great shine.

Congrats on the new boots. My Black Cherry Beckmans were my first pair of really good boots. It did take quite awhile to get them broken in (my Iron Rangers only took a third of the time to break in), but it was definitely worth the effort! Not only are they really comfortable but they look even better now that they've had some usage.
I'm a weird size (13.5) so I went with a 13. I also bought them online via Zappos, knowing I was taking a chance - none of my local Red Wing stores had them in stock. Luckily they were a perfect fit.
Here's a thing; NEVER use boot oil or mink oil on these, go with a shoe or boot cream instead. Get a neutral cream - I like Venetian or Saphir Renovateur, though the Red Wing cream works well too - and use a shoe brush. They'll take on a great shine.

Good tips on the boot care. I have leather honey...is that something that could be used on them?

Awesome! I have a pair of Rangers and about two weeks later I acquired a pair of Beckman's. My rationale was that I wanted something with a better sole for snowy sidewalks.

I was wrong. It appears to me the Rangers have a better grip on icy surfaces and the Beckman's are better in deeper snow but not good at all on ice. Not a big deal. I replaced the laces on the Rangers with the flat laces usually on the Beckman's mostly because of looks. I find myself wearing the Rangers more often because I find I have to unlace the top two holes of the Beckman's to get my foot in, then re-lace them. I think when they get sent in to get re-soled (eventually), I'm going to ask that they replace the lace holes with hooks.

Unfortunately, I have a wide foot - no downsizing at all for me (Size 9 EE) but it means I can't buy a pair of the Iron Workers which I'd love to check out. Maybe that's a good thing (for the pocket book at least).

Good tips on the boot care. I have leather honey...is that something that could be used on them?

That would probably darken the leather, so I wouldn't.
I have a jar of the Red Wing Neutral boot cream that I'm not using, so its yours if you'd like - just shoot me a PM.

Top Bottom