What's new

My Last Use of Williams

Last as in "That's all, folks." Will let the half a puck dry, put it in a Van der Hagen container I saved, and put it beside the unopened box of Williams I bought strictly for collecting. Had not used it for quite a while, and decided to give it a try again.

To my surprise made nice, thick lather that held the brush upright when I let it go. Did face prep, applied, and shaved. All that nice, thick, lather quickly became thin lather, but it still retained slickness, and I went ahead with it.

Did a three-pass with a Merker 15C,which I find to be on the mild side. Wound up with face irritation, which wasn't as severe as when I shimmed it, but enough to get my attention. Despite all the slickness, it just wasn't a good lather.

I know that there are many who love Williams, and, like everything else in shaving, is in Your Mileage May Vary territory. As for me, I'm done with it. Since Williams is supposed to be discontinued (as confirmed by a letter from customer service somewhere here on B&B), I'm really done with it.

Will miss the smell, though. That's what shaving soap should smell like.

I am also a member of the Departed Williams Alumni. I used it for decades, then -- thanks to B&B - I discovered the world of REAL quality shave soaps. Old Will was retired...thanks for the memories.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Williams ... but I do use it once or twice a year. Especially on the 4th of July when we do our Patriotic Shave.

+1 on the smell ... there's nothing with a more Traditional Barbershop scent except maybe ARKO.

My current puck is sitting in the shower stall, but even there, it usually gets passed over in favor of something else. I notice that at my supermarket, the shelf is always stocked with fresh pucks every time I go shopping. I wonder who's buying it? There can't be that many traditional shavers living around me, certainly not enough to warrant so many buying this one particular soap. And if people are using it in the shower, well, that doesn't make sense either, not with so many other fine bath soaps to choose from.

When I use it for shaving, it lathers easily, but I notice it stings my skin a little bit. Nothing terrible, but its noticeable.
That's the main reason I don't use it more often.

As to its being discontinued, I saw that letter from their CSR, but I've seen updated threads that announce it will continue.
I hope it doesn't go away permanently. It would be a shame to see 175 years of shaving tradition come to an end like this.

I learned on Williams, a long time ago. It was an affordable, everyday household product. I know the new isn't what the old once was, but I also kind of wonder how good the old actually was, and how much we romanticize. We used to hitch horses behind a buckboard when we went to town, now I drive my Tundra. They will both get you there, but one certainly has more comfort.

As far as it going away, so did the ice box, the hitched team, and polio.

I learned on Williams, a long time ago. It was an affordable, everyday household product. I know the new isn't what the old once was, but I also kind of wonder how good the old actually was, and how much we romanticize. We used to hitch horses behind a buckboard when we went to town, now I drive my Tundra. They will both get you there, but one certainly has more comfort.

Well said! :thumbup1:

As seen elsewhere, actually quite good. Someone took the original Williams ingredients and ended up with a great shaving soap. Williams formulation has changed at least twice over the years, and the current incarnation may smell like old Williams, but isn't. I remember Colgate was pretty good, and was my shave soap of choice until it went away.

I confess to toying with the idea of making period shaving soap, but there are a number of minor hurdles (call the rumble strips?), from acquiring the ingredients to finding an old crock pot and making a PVC mold, and while none are insurmountable, it does entail more time and expense for someone not into soap making.

I remember it being fine when I broke out shaving, but it was also "what there was", and it wasn't like there were options. I also used Dad's Schick, and later carts, and it was a very utilitarian process; certainly not something that was enjoyed. In fact, I remember my mother telling my dad to "go shave that boy", cause I was starting to get scruffy looking.

I have thought many times that I would buy a puck of Williams, just to see, but knowing that it isn't what it used to be, makes me go, "meh"....

I know I could buy vintage, but I just haven't done so. I have a good decade's worth of soap I am trying to use up now. All I can do,is play the old man card, (45), and say I started out on it.. :)

I used to get the same results, with the dissipating lather when I first tried it years ago. I figured that was just the way it was. But after a while it just clicked. I can now get a perfect lather almost every time I use it. I too have moved to lots of other soaps, but I always keep a fresh supply of Williams handy. I wouldn't ever retire it.

I remember it being fine when I broke out shaving, but it was also "what there was", and it wasn't like there were options. I also used Dad's Schick, and later carts, and it was a very utilitarian process; certainly not something that was enjoyed. In fact, I remember my mother telling my dad to "go shave that boy", cause I was starting to get scruffy looking.

I have thought many times that I would buy a puck of Williams, just to see, but knowing that it isn't what it used to be, makes me go, "meh"....

I know I could buy vintage, but I just haven't done so. I have a good decade's worth of soap I am trying to use up now. All I can do,is play the old man card, (45), and say I started out on it.. :)
:rolleyes:

Maybe try adding a dab of some good shaving cream into the cheap William's lather to improve it?
William's is cheap and conveniently available. I agree though, I like Arko's lather much better.
I've got a half dozen Williams pucks in storage to use up some day...

Lol, at 45, I'm shocked you started out on it. My dad turned 59 last month, and he never used any traditional soap in his life because there were a ton of other choices, like Barbasol, Gillette Foamy, etc, that had been around for decades when he started. He also told me he's never used anything but a cart since the Trac IIs were out when he started shaving around 1972. In fact, no one in my family tree is still living who has used a DE, which is why it's hard for me to learn... I can only use the Internet as I have no one who can teach me hands on. Really puts into perspective how long carts have been dominant.

But yeah, I'm surprised some who is only 45 had any growing up experience with traditional shaving soap, since even Ricky Ricardo (Desi Arnaz) was using canned lather on episodes of I Love Lucy back in the early 50s. I'm 32, only 13 years younger than you, and Mach 3s were already out when I started as well as all kinds of gels. I couldn't even conceive of there having been stuff like this until I stumbled into these forums back in September while looking for a cheaper way to shave than my Fusion Proglide Power with Flexball :). I guess I don't know exactly how I thought they got the lather in those old time TV shows, but I never would have guessed off a bar of soap!

My grampa used foam in a can, but my dad for most of the time I lived at home used soap and a brush. Blue plastic mug. The injector didn't last long after I started and then he went to carts. My grampa was an injector guy too. I remember "shaving" with him when I was little, with a Schick and no blade. :)

I recently re-tried Williams and got a very very slick lather from it. The razor glided glided glided. It was a pretty good shave too. And had a mild bit of razor burn to go with it

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You-all realize a few drops of glycerin swirled on that Williams puck will change everything back to what you want it to be?

And you do have glycerin- and probably castor oil, too- on hand for making uberlather?

Glycerin's like $3 at Wallyworld in the meds section. It can revive a dry puck and make non-performer perform, IMHHO.

AA

If you hitched the horses behind the buckboard you were spared their farting, but I don't expect you would get very far.

Maybe try adding a dab of some good shaving cream into the cheap William's lather to improve it?
William's is cheap and conveniently available. I agree though, I like Arko's lather much better.
I've got a half dozen Williams pucks in storage to use up some day...

Very good suggestion.

I like Williams for what it is, very low priced and easily accessible product. I have many other soaps I prefer, but all of them cost more.

I've been pressing/integrating the "ends" of other soaps into my Williams. Instead of fighting with a hollowed out ring spinning around in the bottom of the tub or trying to rub a tiny bit of stick on my beard, why not add it to the Williams? A nub of an Arko stick here, the woeful ring of Proraso Red there. The Proraso doesn't really press onto the Williams, but after a ten minute soak, the disk does get nice and sandlewood-y. Makes for an interesting mix. Not the greatest of shaves, but it is interesting. I figure the Mitchell's Wool Fat that is getting close to the end is next for assimilation.
That might be the game changer.
Or I could just add some glycerine.

Top Bottom