What's new

Considering a Sig P250-22

I have finally rec'd my LTC and I am actively considering a Sig Sauer P250-22 as my gateway pistol. There are 3 sizes (Full, Compact, Subcompact) so I should be able to find the correct size for my hand and the 22LR wont break the bank in ammo costs.

There is also the added appeal of swapping out the rimfire 22 LR and changing the P250-22 into a 9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W, or .45ACP. The X-Change conversion kits can be purchased without it being considered a "new" gun, so there isnt add'l registration paperwork or waiting periods

The local gun range isnt stocking it yet, but they have the P250 compact available for rent on their range. I will need to handle the actual P250-22 in the Full size to be sure, but spending some range time with the compact 9mm variant would be helpful, too

Anyone have opinions - good or bad - on the Sig Sauer P250 series?

I do know that the first generation was under a cloud, but for the price around $400 it is pretty attractive

While I haven't ever used the P250-22 I can say that I own a P938 which shoots very nicely and I own several handguns and rifles chambered in .22LR which are all a joy to shoot. I don't think you could go wrong with the combo you're eyeing.

It's not likely you'll be using this as a defensive carry tool so I'm assuming it's primary use will be punching paper and cans at your local gun range or on your property. If this is the case, get the largest model that fits. The more barrel length you have, the straighter your shots will go, depending on you of course.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback so far. You're correct about my not using this as a CCW, it will be strictly pleasure shooting and almost exclusively at a range (being in a suburb of Boston, and in Massachusetts in general, means zero chance of on property shooting).

I am due to head up to my buddy's place in Maine, so there is always the oppty to pass through Exeter, NH and see this system at the company store

I own the full size 9mm version. I love it... Very smooth trigger, and slide locks on both sides (a plus since the wife is a lefty). The only downside is the lack of a safety aside from the long pull on the trigger.

I have a subcompact P250 in .45, and I love it. I like that it's DA only (and not striker fired). It's a got a long pull, but not overly heavy and extremely smooth with a nice break. It's probably the best DA only pistol trigger I've ever fired. I can't speak to the gun in .22, though. If you intend to just do target shooting with the .22, probably other guns would be better. If you're going with that just as something to get you started with firearms, then upgrade later with the conversion kit, I guess that could make sense (in that you could get familiar with the trigger). Just keep in mind that as a generic 22 target shooter, the p250 is a bit of an odd choice. There are much better target guns that have single action triggers.

Indeed, the pricing on the P250 series is excellent. It's one of the best values in handguns available.

Top Bottom