What's new

French Press and a Burr Grinder on my wish list

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Dumb question maybe, but consider the source .. I love a French Press, and have a non-insulated 34? oz Bodum (discontinued?). I was thinking it was maybe time to upgrade to the Freitling or the Bodum insulated, but then read Doak's comment about "decanting" the French Press so it doesn't continue to steep. My question is why get the insulated Press if you need to immediately pour the coffee off? That's actually what I do now, pour mug #1 when freshly pressed, and the rest goes in an insulated travel mug for the sometimes later mug #2.

And since you all got me going, is the Freitling a significant upgrade for the extra $$ over the Bodum?

The Orphan Espresso LIDO 2 is a hand grinder worth considering. Though it can be a chore to grind lightly roasted beans for espresso, it is quite easy to operate when grinding for drip or press.

[MENTION=16370]garyg[/MENTION], that is a good question. The main benefit I see is keeping the brewing temperature more consistent. And also getting a hotter cup of coffee.

[MENTION=16370]garyg[/MENTION]

The Frieling I have holds enough to give me one large mug of coffee (think 12 oz), so I pour the full contents of the press into my mug when it finished steeping. It's piping hot, too.

Dumb question maybe, but consider the source .. I love a French Press, and have a non-insulated 34? oz Bodum (discontinued?). I was thinking it was maybe time to upgrade to the Freitling or the Bodum insulated, but then read Doak's comment about "decanting" the French Press so it doesn't continue to steep. My question is why get the insulated Press if you need to immediately pour the coffee off? That's actually what I do now, pour mug #1 when freshly pressed, and the rest goes in an insulated travel mug for the sometimes later mug #2.

And since you all got me going, is the Freitling a significant upgrade for the extra $$ over the Bodum?

Sounds like you need a smaller french press.

I try to NOT have more than a single cup remaining in my press after making a cup for SWMBO and myself.

It is so easy to brew another press that I choose the smallest press I can get away with using.

I should dig out all of them for a family portrait..... Starting at a small 1-2 cup up to a monster 11-12 cup press. Single and double wall glass and double wall stainless..... Maybe I don't really want to know how many I have :sad:

I have some time to decide. Still have the blade grinder and after a good cleaning, which might have had nothing to do with it, the Cuisinart started working again. If I get a new one I really want to get one that produces a grind that can be used in the french press without jamming it up.

Looking at a DuraCasa burr grinder. It's inexpensive but has good reviews.

That is a dead ringer for the Kyocera CM-50.

Kyocera makes then for Hario (branded under the Hario name).

Kyocera makes the ceramic burrs, more than likely they made the burrs (or even the entire grinder) for the one you are looking at.

IF they made it, Orphan Espresso makes a bottom bearing modification that turns it into one killer manual brew grinder.

Here is a old thread where I talk about this mod

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/365858-Orphan-Kyocera-Skerton-bearing-mod-on-CM-50

I cant taste a difference between my insulated press or glass Bodum, but I also pour my coffee into a thermos/carafe after the steeping process.

Get a metal French Press. Glass French Presses tend to break, no matter how careful you are. And make sure the grinder you get works with a French Press. Some grinders are great for espresso, but don't work with French Presses because they won't grind coffee course enough. I have a Krupps, and it's my understand that while it's great with French Presses, it'a horrible for espresso. Which is fine for me because I don't make espresso.

Top Bottom