What's new

Do you remove the blade from the razor between shaves?

How do you store a blade that you are planning to use again? Do you remove it or leave it in the razor between shaves? If you remove it where do you store it?

I remove the blade from the razor, dry it and store it in a little box until next use. But I am wondering if this is really necessary if you shave daily.

Thoughts. please. :biggrin1:

$Feather on slim twist.jpg

I could never understand why one would do that. Some use a different razor but same blade I guess. There is no degradation of the blade staying in the razor. We are all using stainless steel blades and many are coated also so we don't have to worry about rust or corrosion. I think the risk of handling a blade twice daily far outweighs any benefit to removing, drying and storing the blade between uses.

I load a blade in whatever razor I am using and shave with that combo until the blade is done (usually a week) and then start over.

Yah I don't understand why one would want to remove the blade after each shave. It is competely unecessary in my opinion. It just makes things more complicated than what it really needs to be.

I could never understand why one would do that. Some use a different razor but same blade I guess. There is no degradation of the blade staying in the razor. We are all using stainless steel blades and many are coated also so we don't have to worry about rust or corrosion. I think the risk of handling a blade twice daily far outweighs any benefit to removing, drying and storing the blade between uses.

I load a blade in whatever razor I am using and shave with that combo until the blade is done (usually a week) and then start over.

What he said! I usually chunk a blade I handle again because i figure I buffered the edge with all the handling.

How do you store a blade that you are planning to use again? Do you remove it or leave it in the razor between shaves? If you remove it where do you store it?

I remove the blade from the razor, dry it and store it in a little box until next use. But I am wondering if this is really necessary if you shave daily.

View attachment 617731

If you are concerned about moisture or water contaminating the blade or degrading the shaving edge, I would solve it differently.
What I do (completely unnecessary but it satisfies my OCD nature) is I keep a can of compressed air in my bathroom cabinet under the sink. After I shave, I take the compressed air (with the little red hose) and I shoot the shaving head and blade. This never fails to blow out droplets of water and insure the blade is clean and dry. I have taken apart the shaving head afterwards to check the affect and its clean and dry. So save yourself a lot of work. Just use a little compressed air and it will be clean and dry.

Of course, neither step is really necessary.

No removal...just rinse the head in hot water and blow the water out. I get 50+ shaves / blade, so I don't think any kind of ritual is really required.

I remove it to rinse out my razor and dry it off with a towel, then rinse the blade and pat dry, then strop on my hand 4 times on each edge (a tip I read from an excalibur member), then place back in the razor and close the silo doors just enough for the blade to not be able to fall out.

I do this, only because I use a TTO type razor, but if I were to use one that comes apart to get to the blade, then I would probably just do the rinse and blow method.

Personal preference, like most other things here. Shouldn't really affect anything either way, except an extra change to cut yourself :tongue_sm

It's pointless to remove a blade between shaves. You're putting yourself through totally unnecessary futzing around. I also find it pointless to want to store a blade with plans to use it again. Blades don't last that long. Use it for however many shaves you like to get out of your blades, toss it and then move on to the next blade.

Slow down there! some of us still use carbon steel blades ;)

But seriously I totally agree, even on occasions when I have a Treet Dura Sharp (coated HC) loaded there is no chance of corrosion on the blade before it would have been swapped for a new one. Maybe if I left one loaded for a couple weeks in the bathroom, the humidity would push it over the edge, but in normal rotation it has never happened.

Taking the blade out between uses invites either a cut finger or a dinged edge, maybe on a bad day both.

View attachment 617731

No, it is NOT necessary and is , in fact, wasted motion on your part. But , as a newbie, I understand why you do this. Please stop doing this. You risk damaging the blade edge as well as a few cuts from handling the blade when you don't need to.

What you can do, and is a good idea, is when you store you razor for the day, after being sure the blade is clean (I use a kids tooth brush to clean the blade edge of soap scum and cut hair) , is simply put your razor away with the pressure relived from the blade until next use. That way you'll have a clean razor with a blade that has full tension in use.

Some might think that this whole routine is a bit fussy but ,IMO, it will not hurt and may give an extra smooth shave or two.

Last edited:
I take the blade out, rinse it, give the razor a quick cleaning up, put it all back together ( I don't tighten the razor all the way up) and hang to dry.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Do you take the tires off your car when it's parked? I take mine off when they wear out.

Top Bottom