What's new

Do you remove the blade from the razor between shaves?

Yes. No matter how much you rinse scum & crud there is lots left in place on the razor & blade. Why wouldn't you rinse the blade & dry it. I suppose then after you clean & dry your razor you could put it back in for the next time? Doesn't anyone see the connection between all the scummy used razors sold & wonder why?? Do you really think people didn't rinse razors when they shaved in past years? I think it is because people didn't remove the blade & clean the razor & blade. Maybe back then they didn't do much rinsing or cleaning after shaving? But, what do I know. I've only been at it for about 53 years. I remove the blade, rinse, clean everything & dry. Nice clean razor & blade to shave with the next time.

No I don't remove the blade. I figure as long as the razor is properly rinsed and dried (being careful to avoid wiping the blade edge), I'm good. Why disturb the blade and it's alignment once it's torqued up into the razor?.

Do you take the tires off your car when it's parked? I take mine off when they wear out.

HUH?? This relates to blades how??

Lot's of good advice here that all comes down to.....clean/dry your razor before you store it.

How this gets done is whatever works for you.........

Last edited:
I no longer leave the blade in the razor. I rinse it in alcohol after using it and only put it back in when it's time for the next shave. Too much discoloration and rust. I know several people will say it can't happen, that it's impossible. But it is possible and it does happen.

... is simply put your razor away with the pressure relived from the blade until next use. That way you'll have a clean razor with a blade that has full tension in use.

Could you elaborate a little on the "with the pressure relieved from the blade" and "blade that has full tension in use", please. Would the blade be less ready for a good shave if I keep the razor assembled with the front and back plates exercising pressure on the flat sides of the blade?

As for rinsing the razor and blade, those motions are an integral part of the Zen of DE shaving. Don't see myself quitting doing that.

...Thoughts. please. :biggrin1:

...How do you store a blade that you are planning to use again?...
I use a blade four times before replacing, and between shaves the blade is stored on a facecloth beside the razor head.

...Do you remove it or leave it in the razor between shaves?...
I do remove the blade after each shave. I then rinse it under tap hot water and pat dry on a facecloth (or TP, whatever I prepare earlier). The dried blade goes on a folded facecloth where it waits patiently till the next shave.
Same goes for my razor, top and bottom plates get rinsed and then dried on the same facecloth and put aside. The handle gets a wipe and goes next to the head.

...But I am wondering if this is really necessary if you shave daily...
Read all the posts and you have the answer.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Once upon a time, DE razors were abundant and could be purchased for a dollar and a song. Leaving them wet with a blade inside to rust was of no consequence. Those same vintage razors today, are getting harder to find and more expensive to obtain.

Why would someone today, go thru all the trouble to search and pay a substantial amount to obtain a vintage piece of history in pristine condition, only to let it constantly stay in a wet environment with soap film and water deposits, and a blade that could rust inside the razor and mar it's finish?

Should we not take care of them for the next generation to use? One doesn't have to remove the blade or be anal retentive in cleaning, to spray a little 71% Isopropyl on their razor from a misting bottle to displace moisture and totally remove soap scum and hard water deposits.

I say, take care of your tools and they will take care of you, and unselfishly be there for the next generation. If not, then don't whine when you find a vintage razor you were looking for that is green and corroded and barely salvageable.

Occasionally when I only have one razor with a blade in it, and know I'm going to use it three and out, I will just give it a good rinse and hang it to dry. More often, I might have four or five razors with blades in them. In this case, I take apart, rinse everything, let dry and re-assemble.

I say, take care of your tools and they will take care of you, and unselfishly be there for the next generation. If not, then don't whine when you find a vintage razor you were looking for that is green and corroded and barely salvageable.

Yes indeed!! Well said. :thumbup1:

Yes. No matter how much you rinse scum & crud there is lots left in place on the razor & blade. Why wouldn't you rinse the blade & dry it. I suppose then after you clean & dry your razor you could put it back in for the next time? Doesn't anyone see the connection between all the scummy used razors sold & wonder why?? Do you really think people didn't rinse razors when they shaved in past years? I think it is because people didn't remove the blade & clean the razor & blade. Maybe back then they didn't do much rinsing or cleaning after shaving? But, what do I know. I've only been at it for about 53 years. I remove the blade, rinse, clean everything & dry. Nice clean razor & blade to shave with the next time.
Thank you! :thumbup:

Rust sneak up on the blade except rarely in the most humid slow-drying summer. Blades have been stainless for almost 60 years. Therefore the "terrarium" effect of the wet razor innards is a non-issue. There is no other reason to take the blade out, at least not to my limited knowledge. I enjoy DE shaving but it requires additional time vis-à-vis the old cartridge and goo method. If I added yet more time over successive ceremonies of blade insertion and removal, that would put the time over the top.

Top Bottom