What's new

Do you remove the blade from the razor between shaves?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Most of my razors are vintage and in pristine condition. I plan on keeping them that way.

After every shave.

Rinsing the blade after removal from the razor is habit for me.

Then I palm strop it a few times. For some reason my razor stays

cleaner and blades are smoother and sharper.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

I also have a few handles I rotate between so I keep the heads and handles apart. This also eliminates the risk of galvanic corrosion if the handle and head are different metals.

Very good point! :thumbup1:

Actually, the chrome finish on my relatively new Merkur started to peel off where the blade sits on the head near the screw and I wonder if this is related to the fact that I used to leave the blade in the razor for a long time....

Very good point! :thumbup1:

Actually, the chrome finish on my relatively new Merkur started to peel off where the blade sits on the head near the screw and I wonder if this is related to the fact that I used to leave the blade in the razor for a long time....

Galvanic corrosion can be avoided by storing your razors slightly loose at the handle until you shave.

Galvanic corrosion can be avoided by storing your razors slightly loose at the handle until you shave.

Thanks for the tip! :thumbup1:

Look, this is what may have happened to my OC Merkur (and this is a modern razor). There is plating loss near the screw on the top plate. I used to leave the blades in the razor, so I wonder if this is the cause, or just poor manufacturing practices... :blushing:

$IMG_1056.jpg

Thanks for the tip! :thumbup1:

Look, this is what may have happened to my OC Merkur (and this is a modern razor). There is plating loss near the screw on the top plate. I used to leave the blades in the razor, so I wonder if this is the cause, or just poor manufacturing practices... :blushing:

View attachment 618593

Based on the photo the chrome came off due to flux being left on screw shaft where attached to the head plate. I.E. the joint was not clean when it was chromed. Bad factory workmanship.

Don't know if is necessary but I do. I rinse the blade and razor and dry the blade on a towel and also the razor. Let them sit for a while then just put them back together.

No, it is NOT necessary and is , in fact, wasted motion on your part. But , as a newbie, I understand why you do this. Please stop doing this. You risk damaging the blade edge as well as a few cuts from handling the blade when you don't need to.

Not newbie but your sentence is confusing (it sounds like you are referring to yourself as a newbie but are giving very confident advise).

I don't see why this would be "wasted motion". Taking good care of a razor, especially a vintage would not be wasting anything for me.

You will see that a lot of experienced shavers actually remove the blade from the razor after each shave to clean the razor.

Not newbie but your sentence is confusing (it sounds like you are referring to yourself as a newbie but are giving very confident advise).

I don't see why this would be "wasted motion". Taking good care of a razor, especially a vintage would not be wasting anything for me.

You will see that a lot of experienced shavers actually remove the blade from the razor after each shave to clean the razor.

He is referring to your storing the blade outside of the razor. He is also the guy who has been on your side throughout this entire thread.

He is referring to your storing the blade outside of the razor. He is also the guy who has been on your side throughout this entire thread.

HAHA indeed. I am so confused :blink: I don't know why I didn't see his post before. I am still not sure I understand, I normally don't deal well with irony or sarcasm but maybe I misread it. Whatever.... never mind..... :laugh:

I take out the blade, rinse it, dry the blade and my razor. I want my razor to be clean. I don't see how it can be with a blade that has residues of soap scum on it, no matter how well you rinse it, in the the razor. This same philosophy applies to knives to. Keeping them clean and dry between uses.

Do you remove the blade from the razor between shaves?

Never! I don't loosen the razor either, I just shake it dry and put it away, and I got 57 shaves out of my last Wilkinson Sword that way. Any handling of the blade is, in my opinion, detrimental to the life of the blade.

Generally I don't remove it. If I am fond of a razor - like one of my Gillette Adjustables (and if I have time) , I may rinse the the razor, dry it, take the blade out and dry the tray and doors, pat the blade dry with a facial tissue and then load it again.

Most of 2 and 3 piece razors I don't go to that kind of trouble as they are more robust and have no real moving parts to protect.

I used to when I started out DE shaving but I quickly dismissed that practice as it was too time consuming and I didn't want to have a sharp blade lying around in my bathroom.
Still I sometimes wonder if this could potentially damage my Feather AS-D2

I do not remove the blade. I loosen the head and rinse thoroughly with an aggressive stream of warm water. I then physically blow air into each side of the razor pretty hard which blows practically everything out. I tighten and pat dry.

I just rinse the razor and blade (while still in razor) and hang after each use,then I will clean the razor at blade change with 90% rubbing alc.

I rinse it out with cold water and and swish it around in a mug with some alcohol, I'm using a TTO so I leave it open and let it air dry.

Top Bottom