What's new

A reliable butane pipe lighter?

They arrived. I guess they forgot to drain the butane prior to shipping. LOL

proxy.php

I received an IM Corona Old Boy Pewter as a Christmas Gift , and I love it , ... actually ordered it and my wife said that was Christmas , but it's been Super Reliable , Well Made ... , keep it clean when it needs it , properly fill it , and take care of it , you'll never have a problem ..

View attachment 624697

That's a beautiful lighter...always wanted one bit never had any luck with butane...gonna take your advice for expelling the air between re-fuels, thanks!

The lighter best suited for pipes that is butane fueled would be, in my opinion, a xikar lighter with a dual jet soft flame. The flame acts like a Bic flame with the wind resistance of a jet torch. The lighter is square and has a top lid. The body has some grid work. I am terribly sorry I don't remember the model. I used to sell them at a cigar shop north of Houston years ago. Another cheap alternative would be the bic lighter. Don't use regular jet torches or you will burn the crap out of your pipe. It will melt meershchaum pipes and char briar, rosewood and corn cob pipes. Hope this helps.

I'm using a Zippo Jetflame insert and it works great. Its one like this:

proxy.php

I have been using it for a couple months now and it never lets me down.

I just ran into and ordered a Vector Dupla.

I can't speak to reliability yet, although vector others review well enough.

Vector has a line of dual flame 'type' lighters. Soft flame and a torch in one.

The Dupla (and probably others) have a cigar punch built into the bottom.

I've been using this one

proxy.php

The Vertigo Puffer - Paid $19 for it, only issue I had was because the shop sold it to me nearly empty. Once I got it filled back up, it was fine. Haven't used it too long, but it's already more reliable than most lighters I've used in the past.

I've been using this one

proxy.php

The Vertigo Puffer - Paid $19 for it, only issue I had was because the shop sold it to me nearly empty. Once I got it filled back up, it was fine. Haven't used it too long, but it's already more reliable than most lighters I've used in the past.
That's nice looking. How long have you had that for? Reviews on those are all over the place.

4 months. I only fire up the pipe once every month or so, so it hasn't gotten tons of use. It's sturdy enough. At less than $20, I consider it semi-disposable.

Last edited:
Just to confirm...you're using this on pipes?
Whoops I forgot to mention. I use it for my cigars. If anyone is reading this who has this insert and has problems with the flame this is what to do. On the bottom there is an adjustment pin. Push this one to the max and use a small screwdriver to open it even more. This allows more gas to flow trough the nozzle. I just solved this problem two days ago.

However there are inserts for pipes. A guy a know is a pipesmoker and he's been using a Zippo pipe insert for many years now and he never had problems with it.

proxy.php

I have an Old Boy, a Pipeline and a Zippo. The Zippo gets zero use. The Pipeline I just had to get replaced, but Xikar sent a brand new one. Can't beat that. My Old Boy is probably 10 years old. Works every time to this day.

Top Bottom