What's new

BBS - What?

Forgive my newbiness and getting used to all these terms.:redface-new:

Baby Butt Smooth (BBS). OK, a new term to me, but I get it. And from what I read, unless I am reading everything wrong, the ultimate goal of every shave. True? :confused2 I'm not even sure "why" there is such a term. After all, this is how every shave should end. It's not like this is something new. It's been this way since the first human chipped some flint into a knife.

OK so the question is: How is this new or what else would be the goal? Semi grungy? Casual 90% socially acceptable? Laisse-faire, let the razor do what it will approach?

In other words, why isn't every shave BBS? Is it:

1. a time restraint thing? There isn't enough time to do a thorough job?
2. face irritation thing? Too sore to complete the job?
3. razor too dull and too lazy too sharpen it or replace it?
4. Some other reason?

I know when my face was not BBS its because of time. There are only so many minutes in a day, or in a lifetime, and I had to rush because the clock was ticking.

Billiard Ball Smooth imo.

My aim is more to look presentable, two fairly quick passes with a straight razor get this done with a minimum of fuss. Occasionally I spend a while doing three passes and a touch up so I can rub my face and think 'hell yeah, I'm awesome at shaving' but most of the time it seems unnecessary.

If you think anyone can tell you have a BBQ or just a close shave without getting up close and personal then you must have Sherlock Holmes among your acquaintances.
A close shave ain't semi-grungy.

Not all skin types and hair types are made equal.
Shave to comfort.

"I'm not even sure "why" there is such a term. After all, this is how every shave should end. It's not like this is something new. It's been this way since the first human chipped some flint into a knife."

Maybe this is how things should be, but for me at least never were until I moved to DE shaving and got my technique right. Always with carts and electric razors there was a bit of stubble, and usually quite a lot. Even now, with better technique, carts still don't quite cut it for me, on the odd occasions I use them. Nor do I strive for BBS every time I use a DE, but usually get close -- probably a damn fine shave (DFS would be the B&B term).

Hi,

No. Every shave should end in an SAS. Most shaves should end in a CCS. This being for one pass, WTG. Fast and out the door because shaving is a daily chore.

Now, I go for DFS and take the time for two passes to get there. Every day. I don't bother to relather and switch razors and go for BBS unless I know I have someplace to be come the end of the day and won't get a chance to have a second shave prior. As in a one-pass WTG.

My growth is such I need to shave every 12 hours. Most days, I am home by then. If I need go back out, then a second, quick shave will do. But, if I can't get home first, then I opt for a BBS for the two extra hours it will buy me. Yep. BBS is only good for two hours before it becomes a DFS.

And the terms meanings? Simple.

SAS - Socially Acceptable Shave - others see you clean shaven.
CCS - Close Comfortable Shave - can't feel stubble WTG
DFS - Darn Fine Shave - can't feel stubble WTG and XTG
BBS - Baby Butt Smooth - can't feel stubble WTG, XTG, ATG

Not that BBS will feel like an actual BB. But, close enough will do. :p

Stan

Baby Butt Smooth (BBS). OK, a new term to me, but I get it. And from what I read, unless I am reading everything wrong, the ultimate goal of every shave. True? :confused2

It's only true for some shavers. For new gents it's best to ignore the idea entirely and focus on technique.

It's worth remembering that a BBS shave is only noticeably better to the shaver himself: he can't feel stubble when he feels his face for it. With a SAS, CCS, or DFS, any stubble is noticeable for the shaver only, but not others. The only exception to this might be date night. :laugh:

Gents like me who get a lot of irritation usually find that a DFS is plenty and don't chase the BBS. YMMV.

It's only true for some shavers. For new gents it's best to ignore the idea entirely and focus on technique.

It's worth remembering that a BBS shave is only noticeably better to the shaver himself: he can't feel stubble when he feels his face for it. With a SAS, CCS, or DFS, any stubble is noticeable for the shaver only, but not others. The only exception to this might be date night. :laugh:

Gents like me who get a lot of irritation usually find that a DFS is plenty and don't chase the BBS. YMMV.

This- yes. I'm a newbie that's only been wet shaving for 2 months now, and I quickly realized that BBS is not going to happen every day or even once per week. Work days get 1 to 2 passes depending on how many times I hit the snooze on my alarm. If the grandparents come over to watch the kid and the wife and I get a night out, I'll try 3 to 4 passes and strive for BBS. I almost got there once, but I felt 1 little spot of stubble afterwards that prevented me from achieving it. I've found that 2 passes with touch up is way better than anything I ever had prior to taking up WS with a DE and badger brush...enough so to keep me interested in new products and excited for the morning shave.

For a "newbie", it seems to me you've summed your own questions up quite nicely. As a newbie myself I find the BBS goal unnecessarily distracting to those of us who haven't (or may not have) mastered technique yet. It's like trying to win NASCAR before obtaining one's learner's permit.

Ideally, wet shaving forums might include a beginner's section, where good basic wet shaving skills are emphasized. Once basic skills are mastered discussions concerning how close a man should shave would be approached from a knowledgable perspective...if discussion is required at all.

In my own case, I jumped into wet shaving unknowledgeable. Not only did I find myself having to correct years of bad shaving habits, I also had to unlearn misconceptions recently picked up in wet shaving forums. In other words, I wasn't experienced enough to discern what I should be attentive to FIRST. I find now, after practicing and improving upon my technique, that question concerning how closely I shave are basically irrelevant. I'm gonna pretty much get the same level of closeness each day, dependent upon the time I invest practicing sound wet shaving technique.

[MENTION=106009]grim[/MENTION] you state your "confusion" a little differently than I might have but I shared your same sentiment as a new visitor here. I personally shave to achieve smoothness of BBS quality and consider anything less a sad way to start my day. Exploring all that I have been exposed to here on B&B has made my journey to daily excellence more fun and something I look forward too for sure.

All of that said, I have also learned that my beard/skin afford me more forgiveness for my experimental hacking and learning than others. So for many gents, a DFS is the most they dare try for every day AND they are very happy to have a DFS when they walk out the door.

Now I have added a new goal to my shave. I intend to achieve my desired BBS finish within a regular pattern of passes (mine is something like a 3 1/2 pass thing due to an odd growth pattern below the chin). I want to finish a regular shave and not need to touch up here and there. To do this I am guessing I will need to match hardware with technique.

My advise to a fellow BBS seeker is to not loose sight of what makes the shave enjoyable.

Not long after starting DE shaving I set my personal goal as a BBS shave every time. And while it cost some bloodshed early in my journey it also has resulted in developing a technique that allows me to use any DE razor and any DE blade combination and achieve the desired BBS result. By the way, true BBS is defined by the use of a cotton ball rubbed vigorously in all directions on the face and having none of the fibers pulled out by stubble. It took a while to get that part correct for every shave.

I suggest not focusing on BBS results just yet, get your technique, stroke, pressure, and angle right first, then work on lather, and then prep, once these are right then BBS shaves are a natural result of your efforts! As with all things shaving, YMMV!:thumbup1:

So there are FOUR (4) levels of closeness? And I thought if I could feel my skin and not feel a whisker, that was BBS.

Shows you what I know. Please translate the levels please.

With the grain,(XTG ) across the grain, and against the grain.

Thank you. It would never have occurred to me to check with the grain. That makes no sense. the Only thing that would seem to matter is Against the Grain.

So much to learn, no little time ...

For a "newbie", it seems to me you've summed your own questions up quite nicely. ...
In my own case, I jumped into wet shaving unknowledgeable.

So by "wet shaving", the opposite would be "dry shaving", like an electric shaver?

I might be new to the fact a shaving forum exists, never knew there was a need for something that was as routine as brushing your teeth and the amount of acronyms is ridiculous.

Thanks!

So by "wet shaving", the opposite would be "dry shaving", like an electric shaver?

I might be new to the fact a shaving forum exists, never knew there was a need for something that was as routine as brushing your teeth and the amount of acronyms is ridiculous.

Thanks!

HAHAHA! I just hitched a ride on this puppy, myself. I always thought shaving was just...eh...SHAVING. However, the "wet" does place additional emphasis on the need to continually keep the face WET throughout the entire process, so it's actually quite instructional.

Last edited:
Top Bottom