What's new

Making My First Cider-From Scratch!

Gents,

I'm going to try my hand at making cider from scratch! I have a set of the Williams Brewing buckets (fermenter and bottling bucket), but I just got my 1 gal. carboy so I can test out making cider from scratch.

I don't have a press (and don't want to take the time or money to buy/build one), but I do have a juicer. My plan is to go to my local Sprouts (closest to a farmers' market since I live in Houston and it isn't crawling with orchards) and buy anywhere from 10-20lbs of apples. I'll then juice them, throw the juice in the carboy, pitch some cider yeast I have left over from a kit, and put it in the closet.

I'm excited, but my question is this: If I sterilize the apples prior to juicing (and sterilize everything else), do I need to pasteurize? I'd prefer not to buy/use Campden tablets, and I don't mind a little wild yeast, but I don't want bacterial spoiling the party.

Any thoughts/experience would be most helpful. Let me know if you'd like updates...

As a former home-brewer, my comments:

Once you pitch the yeast of choice, and they get to work, the vile yeasties won't be a problem, as they will be over-run by the good guys. That said, you should sanitize (not "sterilize") the carboy, etc.

Be sure you have an airlock on the carboy...keeps air from entering (which would cause your juice to turn to vinegar), and lets the CO2 out.

$images.jpg

Once you pitch the yeast of choice, and they get to work, the vile yeasties won't be a problem, as they will be over-run by the good guys. That said, you should sanitize (not "sterilize") the carboy, etc.

Thanks for the heads up! I ended up spraying some Star-San on my apples about 20 minutes before I juiced them. I also sanitized literally everything else (the juicer, the airlock/bung, the carboy, etc.). I pitched the yeast, and while slow today, fermentation is active. We shall see in a couple weeks.

I am indeed using an airlock, although I've heard many say with cider and carboys that a blow off tube is preferred. Again, we shall see.

Gents,

It's pretty awesome watching the fermentation process. I haven't touched the jug in a couple days and the inside is rolling like I'm constantly stirring it:) Looks super cool.

I love making cider! I wish I would have caught you before you pitched! I prefer using a low attenuating ale yeast over a cider yeast. Cider yeasts tend to ferment fast and attenuate too much for my taste. I prefer to stop my fermentation just shy of 1.00 to leave just a little sweetness. When it gets where I want, I throw it in a keg with gelatin and crash cool to remove the yeast. You can also bottle it, wait for the carbonation to reach the proper level, then bottle pasteurize using a hot water bath.

If it's cool where you are, or if you have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber, i recommend trying to ferment it in the mid 60s. A slow cool fermentation makes for the best cider. It's also easier to stop the fermentation when you want when it's going slow.

If you get into it more, you might consider getting an acid titration test. I'll sometimes need to dose my juice with a bit of lactic acid to bring the acidity to the proper level. I also add in some wine tannin. Most of our modern eating apples don't have the right tannins for a complex tasting cider. If you press your own juice, some people will throw in some crab apples, especially if you don't have access to traditional cider apples.

Good luck!

I love making cider! I wish I would have caught you before you pitched! I prefer using a low attenuating ale yeast over a cider yeast. Cider yeasts tend to ferment fast and attenuate too much for my taste. I prefer to stop my fermentation just shy of 1.00 to leave just a little sweetness. When it gets where I want, I throw it in a keg with gelatin and crash cool to remove the yeast. You can also bottle it, wait for the carbonation to reach the proper level, then bottle pasteurize using a hot water bath.

If it's cool where you are, or if you have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber, i recommend trying to ferment it in the mid 60s. A slow cool fermentation makes for the best cider. It's also easier to stop the fermentation when you want when it's going slow.

If you get into it more, you might consider getting an acid titration test. I'll sometimes need to dose my juice with a bit of lactic acid to bring the acidity to the proper level. I also add in some wine tannin. Most of our modern eating apples don't have the right tannins for a complex tasting cider. If you press your own juice, some people will throw in some crab apples, especially if you don't have access to traditional cider apples.

Good luck!

As an update, I stopped it so it still had a bit of sweet to it and threw it in the fridge. It tasted very similar to a Leprechaun Dry Cider I had tried recently.

I'll need to look into the acid titration test. Also, I saw that a Krogers near me carries crab apples! My next 'from scratch' batch will most certainly have crab apples in them.

I appreciate the heads up on this stuff.

Top Bottom