What's new

I'm a Steward- ask me anything

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, as a new steward, I figured I should post a few things about myself. I came to B&B on Christmas eve of 2010. I work in flight simulation, and we train 365 days a year. So, I was at work, bored out of my mind, and somehow got to thinking about the last time I had a barber shave (it was in 1992, just before I moved to Fort Worth, TX from Cleveland, OH). A Google search led me here, and my wallet soon began to hate me :biggrin: My first real razor was an Edwin Jagger DE89L, and my second was an EverReady 1912 that I believe I bought from Bigfoot. My first soap, and still my favorite, is DR Harris Arlington.

As I said earlier, I work on flight simulators. I work with cutting edge technology all day. I guess what appeals to me about this place is that we really embrace the old way of doing things. No one here looks at you funny when they find out you shave with a straight razor (I still bear a scar on my right cheek from my first time). I write with fountain pens, my favorites being a 1947 Parker51 I received from brianw, and my Pelikan M200. I am doing a lot of my own cooking these days (I spend a lot of time in the Mess Hall), and have really tried to broaden my menu thanks to the inspiration I have gotten there. I also enjoy a good smoke. I do have the occasional cigar, but my real love it the pipe. I have a real weakness for Esoterica Penzance and Balkan Sobranie tobaccos.

Now, here is the funny part. They made me the Steward of the Haberdashery. I have (basically) three forms of dress. When I am not at work I am wearing a t shirt and shorts. If it is a little cooler I may wear jeans. I will go polo shirt if I am going out to dinner. At work, it is khakis and a work polo. The Haberdashery did, however, cement my decision to finally get a good pair of boots- Red Wing 606. That was the best money I have ever spent on boot. The Hab also got me in touch with automatic watches. After years of not wearing a watch, I am now wearing an Invicta dive watch, and I love it. My grail watch is an Omega Speedmaster Pro. Why? Because I love anything to do with the Apollo program. Heck, I even got to meet Charlie Duke from Apollo 16 about 7 years ago (I will have to attach a pic later).

Today is my 21 anniversary. Funny thing- on the day I proposed I was nervous as heck. I got home from work, and had to drag my future wife away from the TV so we could go out to eat and I could pop the question. She, like most of America, was locked on to OJ running from the law in his white Bronco. I have three stepdaughters, and 5 grandchildren. The apple of my eye turned 2 the other day. She knows she has me wrapped around her finger (pic below).

So, there is a good start. Feel free to ask me anything. I'll answer what I can. I have a lot of learning to do in this area, but I hope I can live up to the title that the moderators have given me.

Attachments

• $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 149
Can I wear brown, black and blue at the same time, or will some fashion maven beat me black and blue?

Why did it take so long to stewify you?

How soon before you work a Python theme into the hab?

What da heck are you doing here on your anniversary? Get back to it and have a happy one!

And congrats.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Beautiful granddaughter Owen. I knew Charles Duke and went to school with his son. They lived directly behind us in New Braunfels, Texas in the early 80's. Charles Duke is a great man and astronaut. He showed me personal pictures of his moon shot in this huge album. It's burned into my memory.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Enjoy your self Owen, these dudes will have you styling in no time.

IMO this is Texas Shorts and t-shirts are dressing up when its 105.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Can I wear brown, black and blue at the same time, or will some fashion maven beat me black and blue?

Why did it take so long to stewify you?

How soon before you work a Python theme into the hab?

What da heck are you doing here on your anniversary? Get back to it and have a happy one!

And congrats.
Don't worry about a fashion maven. Do worry about ouch :biggrin:

There are a lot of other great guys here

You know me- I can make any moment a Python moment

I had to work- we have plans this weekend

And thanks
Beautiful granddaughter Owen. I knew Charles Duke and went to school with his son. They lived directly behind us in New Braunfels, Texas in the early 80's. Charles Duke is a great man and astronaut. He showed me personal pictures of his moon shot in this huge album. It's burned into my memory.
She looks a lot like her grandma, so I call her Little Mary. In the pic below, this is just after we got out of our (where I used to work) Airbus320 sim. With no stick time at all in that airplane, he put her down in a crosswind smooth as silk.

Attachments

• $duke.jpg
    $duke.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 135

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Enjoy your self Owen, these dudes will have you styling in no time.

IMO this is Texas Shorts and t-shirts are dressing up when its 105.

I hear you, Scott. I do plan on doing little upgrades here and there, so this is the place for me. Maybe something will rub off. Was it you I bought the EverReady1912 off of? If not, I will correct my post.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I hear you, Scott. I do plan on doing little upgrades here and there, so this is the place for me. Maybe something will rub off. Was it you I bought the EverReady1912 off of? If not, I will correct my post.

I have sold so many razors cheap on the old BST I would never remember. I may start digging though for the fun of it.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If I ever make it to New Zealand, Chris is the one person I want to meet. We chili heads have to stick together

MATE. If you do ever make it down here you may suffer a overdose of Lamb meals as I know you like lamb.

Question, does your flight simulators have a Wellington Airport mode?

It may pay to pack a fresh pair of undies for the landing......
Oh, a tip for when it's raining here. Leave the umbrella at home.:lol:

Don't worry about New Zealand customs at all....If you go, I'll give you a case of Texas honey to give to Chris.

Watch out for this one Owen he is trouble. :hand:

Aaron NZ Customs has added your name to the list. They like your honey and want some more.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
MATE. If you do ever make it down here you may suffer a overdose of Lamb meals as I know you like lamb.

Question, does your flight simulators have a Wellington Airport mode?

It may pay to pack a fresh pair of undies for the landing......
Oh, a tip for when it's raining here. Leave the umbrella at home.:lol:

Watch out for this one Owen he is trouble. :hand:

Aaron NZ Customs has added your name to the list. They like your honey and want some more.

No wonder it takes 14 weeks and gold bars to ship to your North Island. I know now why customs stole my(your) honey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom