What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux - bad batch?

Yup. The different edges gave me different results. I'll try one of my Voskhods again soon in a few days. Last I tried, the side with the shorter edge bounced a lot while the other side with the larger edge did not. You guys are better off spending your money on actual razor blades that have identical sides. Lets not give this Russian company who obviously cuts corners on QC anymore of our money....maybe once they see their business declining they'll buck the **** up and put better quality in there blades. I've been with my GSBs for awhile now, and don't see any reason to go back to anything else.

Tonight I shaved with my first Voskhod. This thread had me overthinking everything. I swear, to my eyes, the edges did not look even. However, the blade shaved great and I had one of my best shaves since I started this DE thing about two months ago.

An uneven bevel does not automatically mean that you will have a less sharp/smooth blade.
You hear this in the knife world all the time when bevels are larger on one side than the other.
This does not affect the cutting edge, in fact some claim the chisel grind, one side flat one beveled is superior, this only affects looks.

Now I just got 200 of these blades and the bevels are pretty close to even but the lettering on my blades are very different.
So there may be something to the counterfeit thing unless they changed there lettering.

Have yet to try these but after seeing this thread one of these will be next.

An uneven bevel does not automatically mean that you will have a less sharp/smooth blade.

The uneven edges didn't provide an equal experience on both sides of the blade for me. One side shaved fine while the other shorter bevel "bounced" and caused plenty o weepers as a result. If you must get these blades, stick to highly recommended vendors. After my experience with Voskhods and other russian blades made by the same company, I will avoid these like the plague. I'd rather spend a dollar or two more on something that's gonna have even edges and shave better.

If the edges are too uneven I'm sure the one side is like using a chisel backwards.
I am just curious if these are actually counterfeit or something else is going on.

Like I said earlier mine have printing that is way different from the uneven blades.
I would be a bit peeved if I received those blades but paying 6 bucks shipped for 100 blades is gamble in itself.
IMO if half the blade gives a good shave I'm still ahead of the game as it is way cheaper than locally sourced blades which are hard to find.

... I just got 200 of these blades and the bevels are pretty close to even but the lettering on my blades are very different.
So there may be something to the counterfeit thing unless they changed there lettering.

Would you be able to provide images of the different types of labelling for reference?
Thanks!

$image.jpg
Here is one of my blades.
They are close but if you look at image on first page, these are not the same printing
Try to ignore bottom photo, used flash.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 106
flip it around to show us the english side...should shave voskhod teflon coated. From what I can see though, looks like your gamble paid off. The edges seem to be even. I think I got counterfeit blades....I bought mine from a supposed reputable vendor on eBay.

First time using these, and one side refused to shave at all! Looked closer and this is what i have:

Flipping the blade over to the other side, the reverse of the sharp edge is now the blunt side, and vise versa... id have to flip the blade to use both sides of the blade.

All the rest of the blades in the pack are the same. Is this a Rapira thing, or did i get a bad bunch? Or is this my first idiot newbie post where it gets explained to me that this is normal :)

Thanks

This is what I meant to do earlier.
The font looks different to me.

FWIW:
I have two Rapira Swedish Supersteel that I got from a sampler pack. I light of this discussion I noticed that they are differently packaged, complete remake of cover art. Inside, one has uneven edges and the other has even edges. Comparing with the product image on Mostochlegmash corporate site, the one to the right corresponds in layout and typography.

$ssrap.jpg

FWIW:
I have two Rapira Swedish Supersteel....

However, everyone on Ebay seems to sell blades with the design/typography on the left, combined with gradient line from the right, so perhaps the Mostoclegmash site is off key - after all they have not sorted our their lorem ipsum - is that cue to their QC?
It would be interesting to know what the Rapira blades look like on supermarket shelves in the Russian market. Any Russians around to help?

That would be a good way to find out! And like I said before, my bad blades came included with the Rapira 'Tech' razor that I ordered. So who knows? Maybe they just toss out whatever they can get away with in hopes of profit?

The first tuck of Rapira Lux that had unequal edges came from Gifts & Care. Today I received a tuck with unequal edged blades from Maggard Razors. So, I will give them another try.

If these cause me problems, I have to believe that it is a quality control issue. I find it hard to believe these vendors would have counterfeits.

Top Bottom