What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux - bad batch?

I just checked some I received earlier this year. They re the same as described in this thread. Also bought them on eBay. Heard a lot about how people liked them, but these were a bit rough. This surprised me as I loved Voshkod from Italian Barber and these were supposed to be just as good if not better sharper blades. Maybe they are counterfeit or the QC is off.

Well I'm gonna try to see if I can get my money back for these blades. The Voskhods have been my only blade so far that turned out to be a no so good experience. I'm not gonna be buying anymore blades on eBay in fear of getting the rejects or counterfeit blades. I never had a problem with Amazon.

I just checked some I received earlier this year. They re the same as described in this thread. Also bought them on eBay. Heard a lot about how people liked them, but these were a bit rough. This surprised me as I loved Voshkod from Italian Barber and these were supposed to be just as good if not better sharper blades. Maybe they are counterfeit or the QC is off.

I tried a brand new blade today - a Rapira Platinum Lux, and I have to say it was not bad. Two pass shave in a Red Tip with and against the grain with some touch up. I will keep them and chuck them after 2-3 shaves. Going to try some GSB's, Nacents and some more Voshkods.

I have a tuck of each of the Rapira Stainless and Rapira Platinum Lux. The Rapira Stainless are currently my favorite blade - so I checked the two that I have in rotation now and the edges are identical on both sides of each blade. I bought mine from Maggard Razors a few months back - but it definitely sounds like a quality control issue. I was planning on buying a hundred pack of the Stainless - now I'm questioning that.

I'll probably take the chance and order 100 - if they turn out to be bad I'll just order a pack of Personna Reds as they're great too.

I got a sampler of Voskhods and Rapira about a year ago. The Vosky's are outstanding. Didn't much care for the Rapira. I will inspect them and see if there are any similarities. Sad news, though, that anybody's favorite blade should undergo a change. It reminds me of when Phillip Morris started making Chesterfield's. It was a sad day indeed.

I tried a brand new blade today - a Rapira Platinum Lux, and I have to say it was not bad. Two pass shave in a Red Tip with and against the grain with some touch up. I will keep them and chuck them after 2-3 shaves.

Same! I've had a great week of shaves with a plat lux this week. Sharp but shaves smooth and the edge lasts. It'll take me years to find out how many (if any)in the pack are bad blades. I shaved using the widest bevel edge facing up...and then flipped the blade over for the other edge. I enjoyed it like a good Israeli Red Personna.

I tried getting a refund for my blades from italianbarber, guy was rather rude about it. So I won't be doing buisness with him and I wouldn't recommend him to anybody. You guys are better of with Maggards or another trusted vendor. Next time I buy blades, I'll probably be going with Maggards..or just sticking with Amazon.

I tried getting a refund for my blades from italianbarber, guy was rather rude about it. So I won't be doing buisness with him and I wouldn't recommend him to anybody. You guys are better of with Maggards or another trusted vendor. Next time I buy blades, I'll probably be going with Maggards..or just sticking with Amazon.

I got mine from Italian barber also. If you have to return to him. Not worth it. He ships from NY but wants return address is Canada. IB emailed me and he does say he is a authorized dealer and only buys direct from Rapira.

I got mine from Italian barber also. If you have to return to him. Not worth it. He ships from NY but wants return address is Canada. IB emailed me and he does say he is a authorized dealer and only buys direct from Rapira.

I tried to explain to him(IB), that I had purchased these blades(Voskhod) a few months ago and that his description said they were quality and among some of the best Russian blades in the wet shaving world. But that my blades had an uneven edge to them, and they weren't as described. He wanted me to pay close to $20 for return shipping and the package had to be un opened. Obviously I opened them to look to see if they had that issue. So we went back and forth...guy was totally rude....customer service these days is so disappointing. I don't give a crap if he buys direct or not....guy should have made good by sending me another blade of my choosing to keep his good name, but all well. Live and learn

Well, I have never had bad service from him, but I have never had to return anything either. That said, I did make a switch to ordering from Maggard's. I know our dollar up here has no idea what it wants to do right now, but somehow the prices at the Barber got a little steep, and it was actually cheaper sending up my stuff from the States. Strange, but Maggard's is very personable about their business, and I even got a return E-Mail asking if my purchase was okay and delivered alright! So, good switch I reckon!

Yes that's who I'll be going with next time I need any shaving stuff. I read good things about them all the time on here, and there website looks really nice too. I emailed one of the people there along time ago for a razor handle and they were very helpful and polite the entire time. I'd rather pay a few bucks more for a product and get good customer service should a problem arise. Good switch indeed! :001_smile

So I find about bad Rapira blades from another post and get pointed to read this. I read this thread with great interest, why you ask - I had bought about 1300 Rapira Swedish SS and Rapira Platinum Lux off of eBay in July this year that I have not used any of yet. I know..:blush::001_rolle

Anxiously I quickly check my stock, picking tucks from the sleeves randomly and each of those blades checked (both Swedish and the Lux) display the same pattern like the OP and many have reported - uneven edges. I don't think this can be fixed now, being more than 90 days since purchase date. I am so sad now. :crying: My lesson from this experience - never buy blades in bulk. :sad: Of course these could still shave fine but don't have very high hopes. Will try one tomorrow anyways.

Last edited:
Just recently recieved a 100 pack of voskohds off of ebay so far one tuck in I havent had any issues with them got great shaves from each blade hopefully the rest of the packs are good

For today's shave, used a Rapira Platinum Lux with the uneven edges and I was surprised by the results - it shaved smoothly on both sides as far as I could tell. At times the side with the larger bevel seemed a tad less smooth than the other side but that could be because I was expecting that side to fail me. Anyways one shave is not enough to conclude, so will use more. I am just glad as it seems all is not lost with my stash.

Top Bottom