What's new

American Safety Razor Co. 1912?

I now have what I think is a complete set of ASR 1912's. 1 each from Gem, EverReady, Star and Treet. Or.....am I missing any??? I know there are much more informed people on here....give me your knowledge, people. I must learn.

Brother Heysi,

Please tell us about any differences within your 1912 fleet. Any favorites? I understand they were all made in the same factory in Brooklyn.

BTW I didn't know Treet was a family member. That's a new one on me.

They are nice razors. Show us a picture of you collection. Here is one I got from 1934 that was never used with the box it came with.

$Every.Ready.jpg

I'm not sure about the brand names, but I trying to get as many styles as I can. Round vs flat cap, handle shapes and lengths, shot head, slight differences in the safety bar, and spring.... I have 5 1912 4 of them are Gems 1 ER and no 2 are the same.

Well, you need to have a post-1919 Gem Damaskeene, that being the year in which Gem was acquired by ASR. These can be identified by looking at the back of the razor where it will say, "Gem Safety Razor Corp." Pre-merger models say, "Gem Cutlery Co."

Don't forget the Gem Junior - it's a 1912. Also, around 1925 Gem came out with a "low profile" 1912 head, made to fit in thin "cigarette case" style cases, such as the Triumph set. Then there are the variations of handles and cases.

There are undoubtedly many more - it just depends on how detailed you want to get.

This is a deep rabbit hole. Trust me on this one. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Well, you need to have a post-1919 Gem Damaskeene, that being the year in which Gem was acquired by ASR. These can be identified by looking at the back of the razor where it will say, "Gem Safety Razor Corp." Pre-merger models say, "Gem Cutlery Co."

Don't forget the Gem Junior - it's a 1912. Also, around 1925 Gem came out with a "low profile" 1912 head, made to fit in thin "cigarette case" style cases, such as the Triumph set. Then there are the variations of handles and cases.

There are undoubtedly many more - it just depends on how detailed you want to get.

This is a deep rabbit hole. Trust me on this one. :thumbup1:

--Bob

You mentioned "Gem Junior." I understand "Junior" was used on several SE razors during different times frames. What does Junior mean to you, and is there any interesting history of the way the name was used by Gem?

You mentioned "Gem Junior." I understand "Junior" was used on several SE razors during different times frames. What does Junior mean to you, and is there any interesting history of the way the name was used by Gem?
The Junior was first term used with the Gem Junior G Bar Lather Catcher around 1907/1909....Its later reference was referring to a 1930s edition of the so called improved 1912 model....There was also later Junior 1912 editions such as the Junior Parade around the early 1940s..For all intents and purposes it was a marketing ploy and as time went on the quality control was suspect...The original Gem Junior was the G bar Junior lather Catcher... :w00t:

Billy

That has got to be the worst name for a razor ever.

Seriously......a Gem "Junior"!

It's sounds like it's some sort of kiddie razor for beginners.

How true Sir...Then again...It could have been called the " Boy Named Sue"...:laugh:

Billy

Yeah I suppose that might be worse.

It's just hard for me to imagine the bigwigs at Gem sitting around thinking up names for a new razor and then agreeing that "Junior" was the perfect name.

Let's call it a "Junior".

I dunno maybe the owner or chairman of the board's nickname was Junior.

Last edited:
... are you missing any? :lol:

proxy.php

Okay, major differences in the 1912:

Damaskeene (1911-1918?) ... open comb version, also, although not technically a "1912"
1912 (1919 on)
1912 Squat Head ... lower profiled head, generally short handles
1912 New Improved (1930 on) wide comb "Brooklyn" no longer features on the tray
GEM Junior 1912 (1930? on) revised comb ... US now all had revised comb, British remained with wide comb
Sun Ray 1912 (the Godess) unique sculptured handle and Deco/Egyptian influenced design
Peerless (1950s?) featuring lightweight aluminium hex handle (also round handle)
Bathroom Set (1950s?) featuring lightweight 'Streamline-like' handle
*STAR* (1950s?) odd one, this ... Ever Ready tray, lightweight 'Peerless' handle and *STAR* etched on the cap
Treet "1912" ... mash-up of the GEM Junior & Clog Pruf

... but yes, there's Star, Ever Ready & GEM.

There's also RADIO :w00t: which has the same script as the GEM (British Made) ... yes, a British Made GEM, too. There are Ever Ready with both wide and revised comb that can be found with a blank back (no script).

Really, really trimming this list down, I'd say:

Damaskeene (GEM)
Curved Cap (GEM, Ever Ready or Star) ... short traveller handle
Squat Head (GEM or Ever Ready)
1912 (GEM, Ever Ready & Star)
1912 New Improved (GEM & Ever Ready)
GEM Junior (US)
British Made Ever Ready from the '30s (Chain Link handle) ... the best!
US Made Star & Ever Ready (with revised comb)
Sun Ray (British)
Peerless (British)
16 ... to pick up all the types and brands (ignoring RADIO, Oxford and so on)

... oh, and Schick:

proxy.php

Jeez! Will it never end?

How's the rabbit hole looking now? :lol:

See you down there ...

Damaskeene (GEM)
GEM Junior (US)
Sun Ray (British)
Peerless (British)

Ok...so on your shortened list, I see that you left off Treet (which you included above), is Treet not considered part of the 1912 line?

And can I get more clarification on "..Radio, Oxford and so on"? I'd love to know all of the makes I need to be looking for.

Radio and Oxford are two shown in Waits Compendium. I have a Radio, I've yet to see an Oxford.

Here's the detail on the Radio:

proxy.php

proxy.php

... and the Sun Ray:

proxy.php

It's going to get addictive!

... are you missing any? :lol:

proxy.php

Okay, major differences in the 1912:

Damaskeene (1911-1918?) ... open comb version, also, although not technically a "1912"
1912 (1919 on)
1912 Squat Head ... lower profiled head, generally short handles
1912 New Improved (1930 on) wide comb "Brooklyn" no longer features on the tray
GEM Junior 1912 (1930? on) revised comb ... US now all had revised comb, British remained with wide comb
Sun Ray 1912 (the Godess) unique sculptured handle and Deco/Egyptian influenced design
Peerless (1950s?) featuring lightweight aluminium hex handle (also round handle)
Bathroom Set (1950s?) featuring lightweight 'Streamline-like' handle
*STAR* (1950s?) odd one, this ... Ever Ready tray, lightweight 'Peerless' handle and *STAR* etched on the cap
Treet "1912" ... mash-up of the GEM Junior & Clog Pruf

... but yes, there's Star, Ever Ready & GEM.

There's also RADIO :w00t: which has the same script as the GEM (British Made) ... yes, a British Made GEM, too. There are Ever Ready with both wide and revised comb that can be found with a blank back (no script).

Really, really trimming this list down, I'd say:

Damaskeene (GEM)
GEM Junior (US)
Sun Ray (British)
Peerless (British)

... oh, and Schick:

proxy.php

Jeez! Will it never end?

How's the rabbit hole looking now? :lol:

See you down there ...

Phew! My first reaction was, "Wow!" This was quickly followed by, "I'm going to avoid that rabbit hole..." and then you had to post the picture of the Sunray! That is one beautiful razor! Congratulations on an outstanding collection. :thumbup:

Haha! There's always one that stops you in your tracks. For me, it was that very razor: the Sun Ray. When I first came to traditional shaving a couple of years ago, I went the Merkur, Edwin Jagger then Tech, Super Speed and so on ... and then found the 1912. I did like 'em, but when I saw that Sun Ray I was in love.

Well, I didn't buy the one I saw, what with it being like £30 which I thought was a lot for a vintage razor (at the time) ... and spent the next 18 months regretting that decision as I simply could not find another. When I finally saw one on eBay, I chased it. I chased it! It was this one:

proxy.php

It is, without doubt, my favourite 1912.

Right, back to heysi ...

I am passionate about the 1912 (no, really?) and consider it to be the finest razor to ever have existed. I like 'em all, but for me it has to be that mid-30s British Made. Yes, the Sun Ray is my Goddess but that mid-30s chain link handled 1912 is the one. It's simply fantastic! You'd think a 1912 is a 1912 is a 1912, but they are different.

You have a couple of approaches to your collection: collect one of each type and brand; collect one of each and every variant that you see, which there will be many. I'm in the latter camp. If you want to keep your collection under control, the former is the strategy and I hope I outlined the key differences above.

Have a lot of fun collecting. My only advice would be that you collect items that you see as beautiful ... and use them all.

Thanks pjgh. I'm just going for one of each type and brand. I'd love to have the money and time to collect the way you have but I'll just live vicariously through your collection. I always look forward to the pictures you post and it usually sends me off looking on ebay. Thanks again...and I do follow your advice and example. :thumbup:

Haha! There's always one that stops you in your tracks. For me, it was that very razor: the Sun Ray. When I first came to traditional shaving a couple of years ago, I went the Merkur, Edwin Jagger then Tech, Super Speed and so on ... and then found the 1912. I did like 'em, but when I saw that Sun Ray I was in love.

Well, I didn't buy the one I saw, what with it being like £30 which I thought was a lot for a vintage razor (at the time) ... and spent the next 18 months regretting that decision as I simply could not find another. When I finally saw one on eBay, I chased it. I chased it! It was this one:

proxy.php

It is, without doubt, my favourite 1912.

Right, back to heysi ...

I am passionate about the 1912 (no, really?) and consider it to be the finest razor to ever have existed. I like 'em all, but for me it has to be that mid-30s British Made. Yes, the Sun Ray is my Goddess but that mid-30s chain link handled 1912 is the one. It's simply fantastic! You'd think a 1912 is a 1912 is a 1912, but they are different.

You have a couple of approaches to your collection: collect one of each type and brand; collect one of each and every variant that you see, which there will be many. I'm in the latter camp. If you want to keep your collection under control, the former is the strategy and I hope I outlined the key differences above.

Have a lot of fun collecting. My only advice would be that you collect items that you see as beautiful ... and use them all.

"..​I chased it. I chased it!"

I'd call that good judgement. It is clearly the razor who's call must be obeyed. It's already wormed it's way into my subconscious... :thumbup1:

Just when I thought I had tamed my rad I see this sun ray that thing is beautiful why o why can't they produce razors like that these days

Top Bottom