What's new

Travel recommendations?

In a couple weeks I will be going to Stockholm, Munich, Istanbul and Lisbon for a total of three weeks. Any suggestions for unsusual sights frequently missed by tourists?

hotwheels

For us, that would be a LOT of territory to cover in a relatively short time. You may be hard pressed to visit the "must-see" sights. Obviously YMMV. Have fun!

We tend to spend 7-10 days in one area to slow down and get a bit off the beaten track. My main suggestion is to do your reading before the trip, plan options (sunny day, rainy day, tired from travel day, etc.). Then take your time, sit in a cafe and watch the world go by! You do not need to see everything.

No recommendations but I can say that I'm jealous. Sounds like a great trip. I often use the site Trip Advisor. Can kind of gauge the most popular sites/restaurants in your area your going to be staying.

I have done my homework and my research, but I am looking for some insider knowledge regarding sights commonly missed by tourists. Things that are not listed in guide books. For example, I am interested in some of the filming locations for Mission Impossible, like the Charles Bridge, Old Town Square and the Lichtenstein Palace in Prague and the rooftops above the Grand Bazar in Instanbul seen in Taken and Skyfall.

hotwheels

If you enjoy Kafka, definitely check out the Kafka museum in Prague. I also like Sandeman's New Europe Prague Tour. It is free, but you are sort of expected to tip the tour guide at the end. A friend and I also took the on of the McGee's Ghost Tours (I think it was the Ghosts and Legends of Old Town). Prague is a nice city, but it is very different from Western European cities.

I have been to Prague before, and I'll definitely go see the Kafka museum and the astronomical clock that I missed last time. Prague does resemble many historical European cities, but because it wasn't bombed to rubble the old buildings have survived at a much larger scale.

hotwheels

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If you don't mind getting out while in Munich, the monastery and church in Andechs is something to see. You also can get some great food and some of the best beer in the world there. If you make it, don't miss the doppelbock (if they have it) and the steckerlfisch (which is available only in the biergarten and cooked to order).

I already know the Andechs monastery and you bet I'll have Steckerlfisch and Doppelbock. The Steckerlfisch is primarily fairground food. Optimator and Celebrator in excess! :thumbup:

hotwheels

I'm going to visit my cousins in Munich. I already know the Andechs monastery and you bet I'll have Steckerlfisch and Doppelbock. The Steckerlfisch is primarily fairground food. Optimator and Celebrator in excess! :thumbup:

hotwheels

Well, I am back just in time for Thanksgiving. I gained 6 pounds thanks to all the tempting food during my trip. My cousins took me, among many other venues, to a large fleamarket in Munich, where I found another Gillette Slim, a 1964 model) in like-new shape. Although my brother sends me regularly a bunch of Speick cream, I bought another 10 tubes at a DM-Drogerie. I think I have enough to last me at least 5 years. My brother, who is on extended stay in Bavaria, accompanied me on my week-long trip to Prague, which was great fun and reminded me of 25 years ago.

hotwheels

Last edited:
Did you mean Turkish prison or Turkish bath? :w00t:

I did go to an amazing indoor waterpark with palm trees, wave pool, huge slides, sauna etc in Germany.

hotwheels

I have seen the Wasa ship, bog mummies, burial mounds, and I have been to Dachau, Mauthausen, Ausschwitz and Theresienstadt. The concentration camps were popular field trip destinations in high school.

hotwheels

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm going to visit my cousins in Munich. I already know the Andechs monastery and you bet I'll have Steckerlfisch and Doppelbock. The Steckerlfisch is primarily fairground food. Optimator and Celebrator in excess! [emoji106]

hotwheels
Andechs Steckerlfisch and Doppelbock. That's my #1 choice for last meal (especially if I can have Frito pie with it).

I often make Steckerlfish. Best is trout, mackerel works also really well.

Rub cleaned and scaled fish down with lemon juice. Mix oil, salt and pepper and if you want herbs, brush fish with mixture. Impale each fish lengthwise on a long thin spit and cook/smoke on grill or over a wood fire in a row until cooked through. Brush repeatedly with oil/spice mixture.

The wood above which you grill/smoke the fish should be green wood. Charcoal works too, but green wood is better. Just put green wood over charcoal.

You may want to wrap some potatoes in aluminum foil and cook in the same fire or on the grill with the fish.

Top Bottom