What's new

Best shaving brush for $10 and under?

So I'm thinking about getting a new shaving brush from Omega, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on one so I've set my budget to $10 bucks. I'd like to know if you guys have ever used a Omega brush that was cheaper than 10 bucks and how does it lather, how's the quality etc? I'm not one of those that's all about silver tip or pure badger or whatever. I have a pure badger and a boar brush now, but would like an Omega as I've heard good things about them.

I'd look for something in the $15-20 range.You'll have lots to pick from and most will work great.

I'd say the best buy in a low priced brush is at bestshave.net from Turkey. Research them on any shaving forum, I've never seen anything negative.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Yes, I would agree that Omega boar brushes are about the best you can get for under a ten spot. 10065/66 for a smaller knot or 10048/49 for a bigger knot. Semogue boars are very nice too for only a few bucks more.

If you want to try synthetic, Omega's s-brushes seem well regarded and cost about the same as the boar brushes.

I have two brushes, an omega 10066 and a whipped dog high mountain badger. Guess which is my favorite, the 10066. It's well broken I and perfect. The handle is the right size, the loft and backbone couldn't be better and it isn't a lather hog. I found mine for $6 and it's by far my best value shaving tool.

The $10 Omega has a reputation for a great knot in a crummy handle ... if you can live with that, go for it.

If you can up your budget to the $20 range, it opens up a lot of good possibilities.

S Brush is excellent! In boar, the 'Bigger' Bambino. Smaller brush, but for the size of it it performs great and has the perfect sized handle!

The Omega 40033 (Wide Waist Midget) is an example of a well-regarded knot in a handle that some find uncomfortable.
I'm not one of them, and the backbone on this thing is powerful.

I have an Omega 10049, which was 9 or 10 bucks at WCS. It's true the handle is a little on the cheap side, but it's one of my favorite brushes. The 10049 or 10066 are great brushes at any price.

I have the VDH nicer brush it's a nice brush and the nicest out of the 3 I now have. So it's in my box tucked away along with my kingsley badger brush. I ended up getting the Omega 10108 boar brush, it's the biggest brush I have. I like the handle on it and the bristles seem to be well made. http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_111&products_id=2773

I got it for $8 at this nice little local shop. Any of you guys live in northern Ohio, it's definitely worth the drive there. They have just about everything there for decent prices too. Any of you guys have the Omega 10108 brush? How do you like it?

The VdH DELUXE brush is around $9 ... it has a white handle and a much better boar knot than the common VdH Natural with a blue or green handle.

You can find this brush only at CVS drugstores, although Amazon carries them for $13. If you go to a CVS drugstore and they have several of these on the shelf, open each box and examine them so you can choose the best knot.

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Natural...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I got one of these brushes when I purchased a shaving mug off Etsy. It ended up being my main brush after my first brush (handmade from another Etsy seller) fell apart. I was skeptical at first because of the disdain I had seen here for VDH brushes, without knowing this was their higher end model. But after using it, I love this brush. It breaks in nicely (the ends have even split like they are supposed to), and it has backbone without being scratchy. I would absolutely recommend this brush at your pricepoint. Plus, as dpm802 says, you can check them out in store and take your pick, rather than play the lottery with one coming from an online vendor.

I got one of these brushes when I purchased a shaving mug off Etsy. It ended up being my main brush after my first brush (handmade from another Etsy seller) fell apart. I was skeptical at first because of the disdain I had seen here for VDH brushes, without knowing this was their higher end model. But after using it, I love this brush. It breaks in nicely (the ends have even split like they are supposed to), and it has backbone without being scratchy. I would absolutely recommend this brush at your pricepoint. Plus, as dpm802 says, you can check them out in store and take your pick, rather than play the lottery with one coming from an online vendor.

I put mine through a full break-in with a couple of weeks of test lathers, but I've never shaved with it. By the time it was ready to roll, I already had several other brushes that jumped to the head of the line, most notably a Semogue 1305.

Still, I hang on to this one. Sometimes I take out both my VdH brushes and compare them side by side, and the DELUXE blows away its NATURAL brother by a wide margin. Even though there is only a couple of dollars price-difference between them, they are worlds apart in terms of quality. The only thing they really share in common is the profile design of the handle.

if you go to snagshout.com, they are offering a black badger by Beau Brummel for $5, the catch is you have to review it. It's a decent, low cost badger brush.

Any omega brush will be an excellent performer. Just shop wisely and its easy to find them for under $10 shipped.

Used would be another way to stay under $10 and get a great brush, it just takes a bit of searching.

The Omega 40033 (Wide Waist Midget) is an example of a well-regarded knot in a handle that some find uncomfortable.
I'm not one of them, and the backbone on this thing is powerful.
If you add three 3/4" O-rings to the groves on the 40033 handle, it makes the brush feel way better. O-rings or not, this is still the best $7 on the planet, with performance equaling brushes that cost twice as much ;-)

Well as I said, I already got my Omega brush. I used it today when I shaved, it works pretty good. It definitely needs to be broken in though as the hairs are pretty stiff. But it holds the soaps well. One thing I didn't like about this particular 10108 Omega, is that after I used it I noticed a rather unpleasant smell coming from it. Best way to describe it is like passing a dead rotting animal on the road...that nasty smell...believe it or not, that's kinda how my new brush smelled after using it. Is that the chemicals they use to clean the hairs or is there something wrong with my brush? I've never had this issue with my 2 other brushes.

Well as I said, I already got my Omega brush. I used it today when I shaved, it works pretty good. It definitely needs to be broken in though as the hairs are pretty stiff. But it holds the soaps well. One thing I didn't like about this particular 10108 Omega, is that after I used it I noticed a rather unpleasant smell coming from it. Best way to describe it is like passing a dead rotting animal on the road...that nasty smell...believe it or not, that's kinda how my new brush smelled after using it. Is that the chemicals they use to clean the hairs or is there something wrong with my brush? I've never had this issue with my 2 other brushes.

That's how they all smell. You afterall, using the hairs from an animal that at one time was living.

Top Bottom