What's new

Best shaving brush for $10 and under?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
That's how they all smell. You afterall, using the hairs from an animal that at one time was living.
+1 The smell is perfectly normal, though it does vary from brush to brush. You can wash the knot to diminish the smell, if you like. However, it will go away in a week or so on its own. I also found doing a few test lathers with Proraso Green helped kill the bad smell quicker.

I sat there and lathered my palm with the VDH soap about 4 times. I kept loading the brush up and rinsing it out several times, and then I lathered the soap one last time and let the brush sit in the bowl with soap for about 3-4 hrs. The smell is still there, but no where near as strong as it was before.

You can also give a stinky brish a quick soak in some warm OxyClean water. Give it twenty minutes, wash it out, repeat a few times. Really speeds up the "de-funkifying".

I use every boar brush I buy in the shower as a body brush to lather up with and break in before I ever use it to shave. After a week or two its ready to shave with.

Another vote for the Omega 10066. Got mine for $5 and it is an amazing brush. Yes the handle is cheap, but it is ergonomic. And the knot is one of my favourites in a boar brush.

Omega brushes are excellent.
Just pick one with a handle shape that looks comfy.
The wood handles are very nice.
The plastic ones may have a mold seem that may ruin your shave so watch out!

After many brushes, including Simpson, Kent, Muhle, Semogue and more,
My favorite 2 brushes are Omegas:
10098 - Outstanding big brush
81230 - similar knot, but smaller

And the beehive handles are the most comfortable I have tried.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ShaverGN
As of this moment: RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic is on sale for $9.99. An amazing deal!
This, IMHO, is the best brush for the price.

I read, I think somewhere else on this forum, that you can get rid of the smell faster, or skip it completely, by whipping up a lather and then letting it sit with the lather in/on it over night. That's what I did with my Omega 10098 boar brush, and the only smell I notice is from the Tabac I used.

I just got an Omega 10049 for just under $10. Used it for the first time today and like it so far. I didn't notice any bad smell. I did soak it in water with some Palmolive dish detergent for 15 minutes or so then let it sit for a while with some shaving soap lather on it, before I used it.

Search eBay for "shaving brush" or even "silvertip shaving brush". Within your price range there are a lot of generic ones from Chinese suppliers. I have bought a few of them and was able to keep a fairly dry un-moldy rotation through the summer. They have held up just fine. Even when they shed, it has been just a few hairs here and there and then stabilizing.

Another one for the omega 10049 here. That was the first brush I got and it's still my favorite. After it breaks in you will love it to death

For the smell I've always soaked it in dawn for a few hours, lathered it up and let it sit hanging over night. Never had an issue with smell after that

I love my Omega S brush and it was just $8. It's synthetic so you don't have to worry about having to "de-funkify" it. But, with the advice here and a little research you should be able to find a good brush of any material in your price range.

I love my Omega S brush and it was just $8. It's synthetic so you don't have to worry about having to "de-funkify" it. But, with the advice here and a little research you should be able to find a good brush of any material in your price range.
+1 on the Omega S brush, it is the lowest price brush I own and the best performing brush.

Top Bottom