What's new

Ink Review - Noodler's 54th Massachusetts

Unfortunately I do not have access to a scanner, so this photo, (taken in natural light) may be lacking in quality. I have begun using this ink for work and have been pleased with the results. It lacks the depth of color of the Diamine or Noodler's Blue Blacks, but has proven to be my favorite "bulletproof" ink thus far.

$image.jpg

Looks good. I lusted after this ink when I 1st got in to FPs, but after using it for a while I fell out of love with it. I didn't enjoy the nibs creep and it didn't look as nice in real life as I'd hoped. I've since moved on to Diamine Twilight if I'm looking for a deeper blue/blue-black.... but this has me thinking about giving 54th another shot.

Looks good. I lusted after this ink when I 1st got in to FPs, but after using it for a while I fell out of love with it. I didn't enjoy the nibs creep and it didn't look as nice in real life as I'd hoped. I've since moved on to Diamine Twilight if I'm looking for a deeper blue/blue-black.... but this has me thinking about giving 54th another shot.

I felt the same way, It was one of my first inks and I love the color but no matter what I try it always feels dry and smells like paint. Nagasawa #46 has proven to be a well behaved and awesome substitute as long as it stays away from clear noodlers pens.

Nice review. If you want to try some other "bulletproof" blue-black inks, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher and Bad Blue Heron are nice alternatives. I also like Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black, but it's hard to find in the U.S. If you want to try an iron gall ink, Rohrer & Klingner Salix is a good option.

strop

Now half as wise
Agree with Pelikan blue-black if you can get it, as well as the Salix.

Diamine Denim, and Sailor Blue are also nice ,but not bulletproof IIRC.

Top Bottom