What's new

Any rum snobs?

Not a snob, but Rum is my favorite liquor, so I'm checking in anyway.

I quite like the Kraken.

I also have a soft spot for Sailor Jerry.

A lot of higher class more expensive rums have a flavor that I associate with whiskey and attribute to oak barrel aging. I could be wrong, but whatever it is I don't enjoy it, unfortunately.

The best rum I've had is Santa Teresa 1796.
proxy.php

I can't drink white rum on its own, and prefer to avoid it in mixed drinks, due to bad experiences in my undergraduate days. Or something. Can't actually remember.

I bought my brother a bottle of the most-aged Havana Club you can get at the LCBO, and it was excellent. Really nice flavour. On par with whisky for just sipping, but vastly cheaper. Much, much better than Bacardi, and a similar price.

(It occurs to me that Cuban rum and cigars are one of the only ways in which it's better for booze and tobacco to be in Canada instead of the US.)

Last edited:
Hey Gents, aside from Bacardi, what is your go to white rum for mixing. I'm thinking for a classic daiquiri.

I have zero pretensions of rum expertise. I've never gone down the sipping rum road which is probably just as well now that I've added wet shaving accouterments to my repertoire of things to spend money on. However, for mixed drinks El Dorado Demerada and Plantation 3 Stars have been my go tos. Just say "no" to Bacardi.

I have zero pretensions of rum expertise. I've never gone down the sipping rum road which is probably just as well now that I've added wet shaving accouterments to my repertoire of things to spend money on. However, for mixed drinks El Dorado Demerada and Plantation 3 Stars have been my go tos. Just say "no" to Bacardi.
I have recently discovered El Dorado 3 year old for mixing. Wonderful stuff!!

Not a rum snob, but I like Royal Oak Trinidad Rum. Mostly use it as an ingredient when baking rum-nut cake and gingerbread. Also use it for rum raisins, rum plums and other "snacks." :biggrin1:

Bacardi has it's place. I have many high-end rums in my cabinet, but my typical white cocktail rum is still Bacardi. It's light and crisp and "tastes like rum" -- i.e., it delivers the expected flavor profile. In that respect it's much like Gordons gin in that it's not high-end but it has the expected taste and the price is right -- especially if you're serving a crowd or people with less-discerning palettes.

I wouldn't say I was a snob by any means.

Snob is a strong derogatory word to use.

I did however seek out and try MANY different rums in my endeavor when I was into rum.

I have since converted to Bourbon that I drink neet.

Bacardi has it's place. I have many high-end rums in my cabinet, but my typical white cocktail rum is still Bacardi. It's light and crisp and "tastes like rum" -- i.e., it delivers the expected flavor profile. In that respect it's much like Gordons gin in that it's not high-end but it has the expected taste and the price is right -- especially if you're serving a crowd or people with less-discerning palettes.
Good perspectives. Personally, I have found that I can tolerate cheap rum rather than cheap gin. There's something about cheap gin that can send a chill down your back!!

That's a nice bottle. The one I have has a nice coconut and caramel flavor to it. Great choice!

Don't consider myself a rum snob, but I do like it. Currently drinking Plantation XO 20th Anniversary. Favorite cocktail; Havana Rum Punch at Doc Ford's Restaurant Ft. Myers Beach FL.

Appleton Estate Aged 21 Years Jamaica Rum.
I got to have some of this last night. I'll be adding it to my favorite rums list.
$Appleton Estate 21 Year Old Jamica Rum.jpg

Top Bottom