What's new

New bourbon thread

I am surprised to see no love for Bulleit 10 year.

Just picked up a bottle of this. Haven't cracked it open yet but will this weekend.

Had some of the rye cask finished Johnnie Walker. WOW, very impressive. Much smoother and mellow than most scotch and certainly much more drinkable than any JW I've had other than Blue. More like a bourbon than a scotch. Good price as well, around $50.

I just picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig. I've heard good things about that brand and will try it out later this week.

$image.jpg

Met these guys at the Etowah (TN) Moonshine Festival this past weekend. A trip to the distillery is very soon in the future. I think that's the only place this stuff is available....never seen it on the shelves in any local store

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel
Blantons
Basil Haydens
Larceny Small Batch
Evan Williams Single Barrel especially the 2002, 2003, and 2005

In no particular order

Adam

Ok guys. Favorite bourbon...no price limit. Mine was the four roses small batch 125th anniversary limited edition. I also loved the 2008 Pappy Van Winkle 20 year. I still have one of each in my bunker.
Lmao!! Tough act to follow....what's your favorite bourbon? ---mine are only the awesomest on the planet!!!! Lol-!!! Tough act to follow!

Mine is anything Buffalo Trace or Maker's Mark.

My normal is Buffalo Trace. Recently, I picked up Blanton's and it is wonderful, but for half the price, Buffalo Trace is so close!

My normal is Buffalo Trace. Recently, I picked up Blanton's and it is wonderful, but for half the price, Buffalo Trace is so close!
I have to say that most of my bourbon drinking of late has been in various mixed drinks. I know I should try some of these neat but I'm really trying to hone my cocktail technique. Having said that I can say that the Buffalo trace is wonderful in a Whiskey Smash and anOld-Fashioned.

I still have a few bottles of pretty good stuff (Booker's, Stagg, Jr., Woodford Reserve) to get through, but when it is time for a new bottle, it'll be Buffalo Trace, for that reason. I think the next bottle of rye (when the Templeton's is gone) will be Bulleit.

Got to try some pappy for the first time last night at the OBC bar in Lexington KY. Impressive collection there.
proxy.php

Pappy was good, though IMO not worth the $105 my brother in law and I spent on the pour. We tried the 2014 20 year old. (tip of the cap to the bar keep for giving us some very generous pours though).
I also tried an Orphan Barrel rhetoric 21, which was very good and perhaps even better than the pappy. Both were spicy, with a lot going on, and would be nicely explored over the course of the bottle.
Also tried that night were a Woodford Sweet Mash Redux, which was OK, but I felt lacked much depth and complexity, I thought that it should have spent some more time aging in the barrel. Finally I tried a Weller Antique single barrel, which was good but didn't stand up to the smoothness of the Pappy or Orphan Barrel, but for the $9 pour it was darned good enough.
If you are in Lexington I'd seriously recommend the OBC bar, there are probably around 200-300 whiskies there and on a side note take a look at the bar before ordering. There were some bottles on the shelf that were not in the menu. The menu was really nice and was on an iPad app that gave explanations, ages, and proof of all the bottles listed.
The food was ok. One of us had a main course that was mediocre, but the appetizers and wedge salad that the rest of us had was quite good. However the star of the place is the whisky not the food.

OBC Kitchen

I don't drink at any more,but I do cook with it..

Woodford's Reserve and Knob creek are the ones I have now..It goes good with sweet potatoes, cooked apples, chicken and pork loin...

I have tried a lot of highly regarded bourbons but I would say my favorite would have to be either knob creek or blantons

I guess this is a good spot for my very first post!
I'm a bourbon head. I can't say I have a favorite though.

I've had PVW 15 and it was good. A dang close imitation is 20ml Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and 30ml Makers Mark Cask Strength.
Right now my go-to is Woodford Reserve.

Pappy 20 for me. I also very much enjoyed Yamazaki 25th anniversary.
Still trying to get my hands on some elmer T Lee,

Just tried the Elijah Craig Small Cask the other night. It is a very good bourbon. I was struck by the "Spice" in the finish. Thoughts?

Top Bottom