What's new

New bourbon thread

Hmm ... no such thing as Evan Williams 12 yr, AFAIK. You mean Elijah Craig 12 yr., I think. EC 12 is made by Heaven Hill, the same outfit that brings us Evan Williams. And it's an excellent whiskey, and a great value, so very good choice. But, get it while you can (see previous posts).

Yes, you are correct. I was looking at Cohiba's picture of the Evan Williams Single Barrel and swapped names in my head. Yes, I meant the Elijah Craig 12 yr

However, there is an Evan Williams 12 year which hasn't been available in the US. It seems that it may be being brought to our shores finally, which is odd since it's distilled here anyway: http://bourbondork.blogspot.com/2014/11/evan-williams-red-label-12-year.html

Last edited:
I think my favorite of all the bourbons I've tried would have to be E. H. Taylor Cured Oak. I really wish I had bought a few more bottles when I had the chance. I doubt I'll ever be lucky enough to see it again.

One of my favorite sippin' bourbons...Bulleit

proxy.php

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
A member of Badger and Blade named , 'Ouch', says that he drinks , 'Rotgut'.

Is this cheap bourbon?

Is he the only member here who drinks this?

A member of Badger and Blade named , 'Ouch', says that he drinks , 'Rotgut'.

Is this cheap bourbon?

Is he the only member here who drinks this?

Rotgut is a generic name for any cheap liquor. The idea being that some liquors are such poor quality, it will rot your gut.

I would imagine he was joking when he wrote that, although I'd wager many of us have experienced rotgut booze at one time or another.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Here's my next question.

Old Crow and Imperial whiskey are cheap stuff.

Are both of these considered 'rotgut'?

Imperial whiskey doesn't taste that bad. And Mr. Williams always drank that. When I was a child , I saw that in his garbage can.

#2.

Evan Williams Single Barrel. When I purchase, I buy two at a time......one to save and one to drink.
proxy.php

Both of these are very consistent, flavorful, and extremely well with cigars...especially a Cuban Cohiba-Behike or Lancero...trust me.

I just picked up a bottle of the EWSB (2006 I think). Very, very smooth. Like, "whoa - my glass is empty already" smooth. I also have a bottle of Knob Creek that I'm enjoying. It's hotness is nice contrast to the smooth EW.

Here's my next question.

Old Crow and Imperial whiskey are cheap stuff.

Are both of these considered 'rotgut'?

Imperial whiskey doesn't taste that bad. And Mr. Williams always drank that. When I was a child , I saw that in his garbage can.

I haven't had Imperial or Old Crow so I couldn't say, but inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean cheap. Evan Williams is quite good at a low cost, I'd never call that rotgut. Two example of rotgut that come to mind are a beer, Steel Reserve, and McCormick's vodka.

I wanted to add that while my admonition about EC 12 to "get it while you can" is a bit speculative, I think its valid. I'd bet the farm that HH is going to remove the age statement on EC 12, and soon. They recently introduced a new front label that does not have the prominent, red-letter "12" on it. Instead, the 12 year AS is in the fine print on the back label. HH has stated, officially, that this label change is intended to "unify" the format of the various EC labels. Right. If you believe that spin, then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Plain and simple, HH wants to stretch their supply by being able to blend younger juice into EC, a practice that is sweeping the bourbon industry. They figure that once folks are used to seeing the new front label on their shelf, that back label can be changed out, removing its 12 year AS, with no fanfare or announcement, and no one will know the difference. Some of us will.

EC will certainly still be good, but experience says that it won't be as good, once it starts to transitioning to a younger and younger blend. It's a sorry state of affairs, but that's what the current bourbon "shortage" is all about. Like I said: get it while you can.
I'm very sorry in this case to say I told you so, but I told you so. Last week, HH announced they are dropping the age statement on Elijah Craig. Read more here http://www.fredminnick.com/2016/01/20/2198/

Like Mr. Minnick, I'm in mourning.

Top Bottom