What's new

New bourbon thread

Grand Traverse without question (only available in a few places in Michigan). It's been better than everything i've tasted in all price ranges. Their rye is killer, too. So smooth.

Favorite daily drinkers:

Elmer T. Lee
Wild Turkey 101
Woodford
Larceny

Last edited:
Grand Traverse without question (only available in a few places in Michigan). It's been better than everything i've tasted in all price ranges. Their rye is killer, too. So smooth.

Favorite daily drinkers:

Elmer T. Lee
Wild Turkey 101
Woodford
Larceny

No fair tantalizing us with stuff we can't get! I really like your list of favorites, so I have to assume the Traverse City is great stuff. I doubt there is a trip to Michigan in the cards anytime soon, so I'll just have to put that one on the list "for future reference".

We've got a few craft distillers out our way that are trying their hand at bourbon, and at least a couple have produced some passable pours. But honestly, none yet that are in the class of, say, ETL or EW Single Barrel, though they are priced as if they are considerably better. I realize that their price points are apparently the necessity for craft distillers, especially for aged product, but as much as I like to support their endeavors, the competition for my hard earned whiskey dollar is pretty fierce. Unlike with beer, the small guys have a hard time surpassing (or even equaling) the quality of the big, well capitalized producers, so it's hard to justify the prices they are asking for products that are mostly, in my experience, works in progress.

But it sounds like Grand Traverse has hit the mark, so I'm marking that one down. Thanks.

How old is the bridge?

$YBB.jpg
The Yaquina Bay Bridge, just down the street from here, just turned 79, so it's in fine shape. Built by the Public Works Administration during the Great Depression, it opened in September of 1936. It was the last bridge to be completed on the Oregon portion of the Roosevelt Highway (now Highway 101), allowing continuous, border-to-border auto travel of Oregon's coast.

I can make you a deal.

No fair tantalizing us with stuff we can't get! I really like your list of favorites, so I have to assume the Traverse City is great stuff. I doubt there is a trip to Michigan in the cards anytime soon, so I'll just have to put that one on the list "for future reference".

We've got a few craft distillers out our way that are trying their hand at bourbon, and at least a couple have produced some passable pours. But honestly, none yet that are in the class of, say, ETL or EW Single Barrel, though they are priced as if they are considerably better. I realize that their price points are apparently the necessity for craft distillers, especially for aged product, but as much as I like to support their endeavors, the competition for my hard earned whiskey dollar is pretty fierce. Unlike with beer, the small guys have a hard time surpassing (or even equaling) the quality of the big, well capitalized producers, so it's hard to justify the prices they are asking for products that are mostly, in my experience, works in progress.

But it sounds like Grand Traverse has hit the mark, so I'm marking that one down. Thanks.

Actually it looks like you can now get their Rye through special order at Binnys ($65) in the Chicago area. I realize now it was a bit of a cheap shot to list something that isn't obtainable for most people!

There is a more widely distributed whiskey made by the Traverse City Whiskey Co. It's a different producer and not made in Michigan apparently (but much more affordable), but I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on the quality.

You make a good point on the price vs quality. These small guys are often left with no choice but to charge upwards of $50-$60 or more per bottle, so they HAVE to make a great product. There are so many good widely available options at half the price.

Last edited:
Is Traverse City actually distilling their own whiskey, or are they blending whiskey aged by other companies? Just curious, as it is definitely not easy to start a new company based off of aged products.

Evan Williams Single Barrel.

I don't have a particular year I prefer. I never keep any around long enough to compare with each other.

Is Traverse City actually distilling their own whiskey, or are they blending whiskey aged by other companies? Just curious, as it is definitely not easy to start a new company based off of aged products.

After visiting the Traverse City Whiskey Co. website, it looks like they are beginning the process of producing their own product. They have opened a distillery (in Traverse City) and it looks like they will start planting corn, barley, and rye. My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that up until this point, someone else was distilling their whiskey, and probably still will be for a short time.

Grand Traverse, on the other hand, DOES distill their own. I've visited their distillery.

I love my Knob Creek since I was introduced to it a year ago, but I picked up a bottle of Blanton's a couple of weeks ago and it's reallllllly gooood !! Is it good enough to replace Knob Creek? Not at almost double the price, but I'll be getting it as a one in a while treat, I expect... (I'm actually sipping some Blanton's as I type this!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The Yaquina Bay Bridge, just down the street from here, just turned 79, so it's in fine shape. Built by the Public Works Administration during the Great Depression, it opened in September of 1936. It was the last bridge to be completed on the Oregon portion of the Roosevelt Highway (now Highway 101), allowing continuous, border-to-border auto travel of Oregon's coast.

I can make you a deal.

Well, as long as the bridge comes with an age statement ...

Store Brands:
* Makers Mark 46
* Pappy Van Winkle 23
* Rock Hill Farms
* Woodford Reserve Double Oak

Rarities that may not be available:

* A one issue distillers something or other (done by the folks that own Jim Beam) that was $300+ for the bottle [all gone now :( ]
* Woodford Reserve Master's collection - some special edition of it that I can't remember [and all gone now :( ]
* A one time Jim Russell 50th anniversary 15+ by makers of Wild Turkey (on the last of the three bottles I bought @ 8 years ago) - It sits in my office liquor cabinet at the office.

If you're in a hotel bar in a strange city, these basics are plenty wonderful and generally available:
* Makers Mark
* Woodford Reserve

Trust me.......I got a little jingle in my pocket and I've tried quite a few bourbon and whiskey but I still go back to these two.

I know, I know you stated bourbon.

#1.

George Dickel #12 Whiskey
proxy.php

#2.

Evan Williams Single Barrel. When I purchase, I buy two at a time......one to save and one to drink.
proxy.php

Both of these are very consistent, flavorful, and extremely well with cigars...especially a Cuban Cohiba-Behike or Lancero...trust me.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The store where I buy my Elijah Craig 12 yr. still has the red 12 on the front, but it is small batch specifically labeled for that store, with various batch numbers on the labels. I really should stock up while it's still available.

Trust me.......I got a little jingle in my pocket and I've tried quite a few bourbon and whiskey but I still go back to these two.

I know, I know you stated bourbon.

#1.

George Dickel #12 Whiskey
proxy.php

#2.

Evan Williams Single Barrel. When I purchase, I buy two at a time......one to save and one to drink.
proxy.php

Both of these are very consistent, flavorful, and extremely well with cigars...especially a Cuban Cohiba-Behike or Lancero...trust me.

Personally, I'm of the type who will include TN whiskey in the conversation of bourbon. GD12 is a great whisky (sic). And EWSB is another high on my list. I actually have a fifth of the Gentleman at home now, and am quite surprised by it. But I believe GD12 is equivalent yet less costly. Just not as easy to find.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
If you believe that spin, then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
Careful...a moderator is likely to smack you down for talking about buying/selling outside of the Gentlemanly Deals forum! :lol:

1. Bib & Tucker
2. Knob Creek
3. Evan Williams 12 yr

Hmm ... no such thing as Evan Williams 12 yr, AFAIK. You mean Elijah Craig 12 yr., I think. EC 12 is made by Heaven Hill, the same outfit that brings us Evan Williams. And it's an excellent whiskey, and a great value, so very good choice. But, get it while you can (see previous posts).

Top Bottom