What's new

Riff Raff Deutsche Tabak Oddyssey

Following in the footsteps of my esteemed colleague and friend Andrew (Senshi), I have been persuaded to create the Great Germany Tobacco Odyssey. So this is the first installment of a long overdue project. I have been in country for almost 4 months, and I hadn't started this thread yet. For that, I am truly sorry.

Away we go:

Today, my wife and I went to Heidelberg. First off, if you don't have to drive in Heidelberg, don't. In fact, if you don't have to drive in Germany, don't. Now Germany isn't as bad as Italy or the Middle East. But it can be challenging. What should have taken one hour took us almost three. It is great not having speed limits on parts of the autobahn. That is, if there isn't road contruction (there is always road contruction), or the rubber-neckers aren't slowing things down. But I digress.

Heidelberg is a gorgeous town. Judge for yourself.

$IMG_0091.jpg

This shot was taken from the Schloss Heidelberg (Heidelberg Castle). It is a fantastic place. Make sure you wear walking shoes. The cobblestones can be murder on the feet.

On the way to the castle, I spied two pipe shops. TWO! On the SAME STREET! Yeah, I love Germany. The first one is Tabak Scheuring. It was established in 1890. I imagine that in 1890 it was a better pipe shop that it is today. Now don't get me wrong. They had a great selection of pipes. Vauen, Winslow, Savinelli, Stanwell, Butz Choquin, etc. There were some very pretty pipes in there and I almost walked out with a Savinelli. It was gorgeous. There was a very small selection of pipe tobacco in there. They mainly cater to the cigarette smokers. There were a few Dunhill blends, Mac Baren, and of course Reiner. In a pinch, this is a good shop. Not my go to.

$IMG_0103.jpg

Further down the street, and much to my surprise is Durninger's. Now I first visited Durninger's in Stuttgart, where I live. I had no idea there was one in Heidelberg. This place is awesome. It is actually a bit bigger than the one in Stuttgart. A wonderful selection of pipes. Dunhill, Castello, Caminetto, Savinelli, etc. They have a walk in humidor with just about every marque of Cuban cigar you can think of. To top it all off, there is a huge selection of single malts. Plus their own blends of pipe tobacco not to mention most of the European brands available. Lots of Peterson blends too, but no Peterson pipes. Weird, I know.

$IMG_0104.jpg

All in all it was a great day. A bit chilly, about 66 F. But still a great day. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to sit in the castle gardens and smoke a bowl. But I will make sure to make a concerted effort to do that soon, and often! Oh, I also picked up a bottle of some local Peach Schnapps. And let me tell you, this stuff is awesome, and dangerous. Too good.

Right now I am sipping on some South Carolina Swamp Water that a friend of mine "made". :) You can take the boy out of Carolina, but you can't take the Carolina out of the boy!

Happy Smokes, brothers.

Great post, I am looking forward to this thread unfolding. Germany is a great place, although I have only driven through quickly but I've visited Berlin many times.
Great photos too, the place does look lovely.

Wohoo! I was at that same castle just a couple of months ago. Truly beautiful. I didn't see the second shop, sounds great. Really looking forward to the updates over the years. Thanks for doing this.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I haven't been to Heidelberg in a very long time, but I do recall how beautiful it was. I am very glad to hear that it still is.

And, I completely agree with not driving if you don't have to, and there aren't many times you have to!

I've heard that filtered pipes are quite popular in Germany. Any truth to that?

I haven't seen much evidence to that. Now I have only been in a handful of pipe shops here. Most of the pipes I have looked at were not filtered. But then again, I have only traveled a very small portion of Germany so far. Something I plan on remedying!

Okay, so this is long overdue and I apologize.

Two weeks ago, before it started raining, my wife and I went on a little road trip. We landed just outside of a sleepy little town called Hirschhorn. We saw this castle high on the hill and decided to investigate.

$unnamed.jpg

Way up there is the castle. There is a hotel and restaurant there so we decided to have lunch. After lunch is the obligatory smoke. This day's choice was the 2015 BB BL LE Bengal with some tasty SG Kendall Gold.

$unnamed (1).jpg

We then wen't down into the village and there was a medieval festival going on. People in period costume, craftsmen showing off their skills both by action and product. Just below the famous Tannhauser Gate I had some of the best apple strudel I have ever had.

$unnamed (2).jpg

There were no pipe shops that I saw. I didn't even see a tobacconist. But it was a day to remember. I spent it with my best friend and spouse of 25 years. It was awesome so I had to share.

Stay tuned.

Top Bottom