What's new

Jzuzphreek's Single Malt Journey.

Maybe y'all can help me out. It may come as not surprise that the liquor selection in South Louisiana grocery stores is exceptional. What may surprise you is that the selection in a local Indian Wholesale grocery is among the best I've ever seen.

The pictures below highlight the single malt scotch options available. If my goal is to eventually have a little variety at home, which should I start with?

What are the differences among the vintages available within each brand?

$uploadfromtaptalk1441319511808.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1441319538107.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1441319613151.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1441319671970.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1441319712573.jpg

Maybe y'all can help me out. It may come as not surprise that the liquor selection in South Louisiana grocery stores is exceptional. What may surprise you is that the selection in a local Indian Wholesale grocery is among the best I've ever seen.

The pictures below highlight the single malt scotch options available. If my goal is to eventually have a little variety at home, which should I start with?

What are the differences among the vintages available within each brand?

Outstanding selection! As for your question, it might take a lifetime of research. :laugh:

Older is not always better, but sometimes it is. Of course, as with just about everyting, YMMV applies to whisk(e)y, too.

Outstanding selection! As for your question, it might take a lifetime of research. [emoji23]

Older is not always better, but sometimes it is. Of course, as with just about everyting, YMMV applies to whisk(e)y, too.
Awesome! A lot of answers that don't help me make a selection! :D

How bout this instead, are there any in that selection i should skip over?

What do you like? Smoky, peaty, a little caramel or vanilla?

For me, the first choice is easy - the Balvenie 12 is one of the best available* and at a very reasonable price. After that, start sampling to see what you like.

*...for my palate, YMMV

I also recommend ralfy.com, especially for scotch reviews. He is a little quirky, but very thorough. It might be easier to search for his reviews on YouTube, though.

What do you like? Smoky, peaty, a little caramel or vanilla?

No idea. The few I've tried have been delicious, but I'm not sure what they were. I haven't had enough experience to say i could differentiate the notes.
I also recommend ralfy.com, especially for scotch reviews. He is a little quirky, but very thorough. It might be easier to search for his reviews on YouTube, though.
Thanks for the tip.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Big +1 for Ralfy.

From the above scotch, I'd grab Highland Park 12, Glenlivet 12, and Macallan 15 ... and start working my way through them to see which I liked best, and then come back to tell my B&B buddies the results.

Sorry, dude, you gots some homework.

Big +1 for Ralfy.

From the above scotch, I'd grab Highland Park 12, Glenlivet 12, and Macallan 15 ... and start working my way through them to see which I liked best, and then come back to tell my B&B buddies the results.

Sorry, dude, you gots some homework.

After extensive testing, I can't guarantee my handwriting will be legible. But I'll do my best.

That's at a GROCERY store?! I don't think I have that kinda selection at our LIQUOR stores.

I'd love to help you, but I'm a scotch noob myself. I'll be interested to hear suggestions from others on this. Good luck. Sometimes, you just have to "bite the bullet" on something and go from there.

If my goal is to eventually have a little variety at home, which should I start with?

I consider Talisker / Oban / Laphroaig to be the Holy Trinity of Single Malt Scotches ... these cover the whole spectrum of smokiness and peatiness and smoothness that makes Scotch such a wonderful drink.

Based on what I saw in your photos, I would recommend you buy these to get you started: Glenmorangie / Macaullin 12 / The Balvenie 14

And if you don't have one already, get a set of Glencairn glasses to enjoy those fine drinks.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=glencairn

The only other thing you'll need is a bottle of distilled water to make ice cubes, and if you smoke, some fine cigars to enjoy with the tasting.

Invite some friends, settle in for some memorable evenings, and relax.

Keep us posted on how it turns out and which becomes your favorite.

"You can identify bad company very simply. It's the people around you... who won't change their mind and can't change the subject." - Ralfy.

Mind blown. I think I have a new personal credo.

Also, "Keep it a hobby. Don't let it become a habit."

I like that one too.

I consider Talisker / Oban / Laphroaig to be the Holy Trinity of Single Malt Scotches ... these cover the whole spectrum of smokiness and peatiness and smoothness that makes Scotch such a wonderful drink.

Based on what I saw in your photos, I would recommend you buy these to get you started: Glenmorangie / Macaullin 12 / The Balvenie 14

And if you don't have one already, get a set of Glencairn glasses to enjoy those fine drinks.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=glencairn

The only other thing you'll need is a bottle of distilled water to make ice cubes, and if you smoke, some fine cigars to enjoy with the tasting.

Invite some friends, settle in for some memorable evenings, and relax.

Keep us posted on how it turns out and which becomes your favorite.

There's a Glenmorangie gift set available that comes with 2 glasses, for $32.99 (Pictured above). Perhaps I'll start with that.

There's a Glenmorangie gift set available that comes with 2 glasses, for $32.99 (Pictured above). Perhaps I'll start with that.
Good idea. Those Glenmorangie glasses will come in handy as ashtrays for your cigars.

Trust me. Get the Glencairn glasses ... that little detail has made a world of difference in the taste and enjoyment of my Johnny Walker Black, and it turbo-charges the alcohol content, too, so I can get the same buzz by drinking less.

Don't ask me to explain how it works. You just have to try it for yourself and once you use it, there's no going back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencairn_whisky_glass

Last edited:
Good idea. Those Glenmorangie glasses will come in handy as ashtrays for your cigars.

Trust me. Get the Glencairn glasses ... that little detail has made a world of difference in the taste and enjoyment of my Johnny Walker Black, and it turbo-charges the alcohol content, too, so I can get the same buzz by drinking less.

Don't ask me to explain how it works. You just have to try it for yourself and once you use it, there's no going back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencairn_whisky_glass

Interesting. Too bad I don't smoke, I guess. Thanks for the advice though.

I guess WCS is out of the B&B glasses. That would have been a nice way to start.

I guess WCS is out of the B&B glasses. That would have been a nice way to start.

I couldn't find the B&B glass on WCS anymore. They also offer their own branded glass, but its currently unavailable as well.

I don't remember how much it cost, but it was too much. Besides, I don't like using branded or logoed products that advertise any club or sports team or musical artist or anything. I prefer the plain-jane original design in everything I buy, and don't have any desire to pay extra for promotional licensing fees.

I found my Glencairn glass locally about 2 months ago for $9, and I jumped on it. I'm amazed by how well it performs its intended function, and I now regret the many bottles of Johnny Black that I consumed without it. It takes drinking to a whole new level, sort of like the difference between listening to music on an average set of speakers vs. listening to it on high-quality headphones.

I couldn't find the B&B glass on WCS anymore. They also offer their own branded glass, but its currently unavailable as well.

I don't remember how much it cost, but it was too much. Besides, I don't like using branded or logoed products that advertise any club or sports team or musical artist or anything. I prefer the plain-jane original design in everything I buy, and don't have any desire to pay extra for promotional licensing fees.

I found my Glencairn glass locally about 2 months ago for $9, and I jumped on it. I'm amazed by how well it performs its intended function, and I now regret the many bottles of Johnny Black that I consumed without it. It takes drinking to a whole new level, sort of like the difference between listening to music on an average set of speakers vs. listening to it on high-quality headphones.

I certainly understand your sentiment. I like having B&B on my hobby items though. On my coffee cup, it makes for some interesting conversations in the break room. "Wait, you got a coffee cup from a website dedicated to shaving? Why is there a website for shaving?" :lol:

Clueless people are cute and entertaining.

OK, I'll suggest three from there that I like:

Glenmorangie 10 - This is a very approachable, easy drinking one. A good middle of the road baseline Scotch.
Balvenie Doublewood - This one is partially matured in sherry casks imparting a hint of sweetness to the Scotch and making for a more rounded flavour.
Highland Park 12 - This one has some peat but not too much so as to be offensive to the newbie. Of the three I think this one has the most going on and is the most rewarding.

Well, you guys, Ralfy, and my wife, who needed me to pick up a few thjngs and bring by the house in the middle of the day, convinced me. Highland Park 12 year it is! My first ever Scotch purchase. Several recommendations here, Ralfy's video for 3 choices for new scotch drinkers, and the price were the main drivers in this choice.

World market has Glencairn glasses for $9.99, so I figure I'll make my way there this weekend.

$uploadfromtaptalk1441387866225.jpg

It might be fun to see what you think of it in both your "normal" glass, then in the glencarin glasses. Just to showcase the difference. :)

It might be fun to see what you think of it in both your "normal" glass, then in the glencarin glasses. Just to showcase the difference. :)

That's a good idea. Our normal dinner glasses are actually shaped similarly to the Glencairn glasses. So we'll see what happens. Gonna get into this tonight after I finish my evening's work on our bathroom remodel (sadly... it's not a shave-den remodel).

Top Bottom