What's new

Improving an aftershave splash

So I was just at Wal Mart to grab some Deodorant and noticed the Gillette Cool Wave aftershave splash. I opened it to smell it and put a dab on my finger then rubbed it on my face. It felt pretty nice and I enjoyed the scent so I picked it up for like $4.88. I almost didn't get it because the ingredient list is very simple which isn't a bad thing but it doesn't have any witch hazel or glycerin in it. I have a bottle of witch hazel at home but no glycerin. If I picked up some glycerin how much should I put in it? It's a 100ml/3.3oz bottle. I definitely don't want to put so much in it that my skin has an oily residue left behind but I love the moisturizing properties that glycerin provides.

Same question for the witch hazel. I just want it to have a modest amount. Should I measure it with an eye dropper or what? Straight witch hazel doesn't agree with me but I have used a few aftershaves with it and they seem to give me the best results.

This particular splash doesn't get too much love here on B&B but for those times when I need to smell a little better I think it'll be a great option and once applied, it smells pretty darn attractive.

Add 2-3 drops of the glycerin and try it. You can always add more, but you can't take any out. I have found that a little glycerin goes a long way. Enjoy.

Don't add it directly to your bottle. Cause if you add too much you'll be hosed. Measure out some in a test bottle, and add a drop at a time to see what works for you. Hopefully that wont tale much experimenting to find what level you like, then you can apply it to your whole bottle if you want.

How much witch hazel would you all add? I'm guessing about 10ml or 10% but I'm not really sure the benefit of adding witch hazel to it or if I should just add the glycerin.

NEW QUESTION: what is the best method for adding menthol to aftershave? do you just drop a few crystals in the liquid and let it dissolve? Does the liquid form work better? Do you put in in and shake it violently? I'm thinking of skipping the witch hazel and just adding glycerin and menthol (light menthol)

I really don't think you'd notice much difference in adding WH to an existing aftershave. I think most aftershaves that have WH in them are WH based. So adding WH is just going to "water down" the scent. Could be a good thing depending, but I doubt you'd notice a big difference in the feel.

It doesn't take much menthol, so go easy. Everything I said above about adding glycerin, goes double so for menthol. You really cant take it out, if you add too much. As long as it is an alcohol based aftershave, the menthol crystals will dissolve just fine in it. I prefer plain crystals. The liquid (I assume you are talking about M-Bomb) has menthol dissolved in Glycerin and Oils. So then, you're adding other stuff to your AS as well, not just menthol. I'd want to control every ingredient to get it perfect, so I say just use crystals. They are cheaper too.

I have found that up to 5 drops of glycerin per oz of aftershave in clubman aftershaves feels great without being tacky on me. After that it gets a little tacky.

An easy way to add it is to start at 1 drop per oz of aftershave, which will barely be noticeable, and try 1 drop per oz more at a time.

I use 3 drops per oz usually and it works good for me year round. Your drops may be bigger or smaller than mine, but close enough. Your perfect amount may be very different.

The menthol crystal will dissolve slowly with an occasional agitation. You do not need to shake it forever. As others warned, you can really overdo menthol easy depending on how much you like it.

I also agree that adding WH is not that useful unless you find the scent overpowering. I use it separately beforehand sometimes or at night before bed. The other ingredients can be added without increasing the volume much using the original bottle.

I do add menthol to my Thayers Superhazel and like it very much before bedtime.

I make only these two mods:
I added 3 menthol crystals to my Proraso Splash
I added 10 crystals to my buig bottle of Floid Blue
I added 2 drops of vegetal glycerine to another Proraso Splash a and a tester of Floid the Genuine.

My winning combo is the Menthol crystals to splashes.

Top Bottom