What's new

Any Flintlock lovers out there?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Hi, you mean like a real flint and a panful of powder? Always wanted to try one, haven't progressed past percussion caps yet.

But subscribing to see what I've been missing ..

You mean REAL muzzle loaders, as opposed to those inline fakes used by the wannabes?:biggrin1:
$Filintlocks.jpg

You mean REAL muzzle loaders, as opposed to those inline fakes used by the wannabes?:biggrin1:

Hey, now; my Hawken may be a caplock, but it's no inline! Them's fightin' words!

I would love to play with a flintlock someday. And yes, I use real black powder, not Pyrodex, in mine.

A nipple hugger is great for newbies -- like training wheels on a bicycle. :lol:

Actually, there's not a lot of difference between a good flintlock and a caplock in terms of actual shooting. The difference lies in the subtleties of getting a quality lock, tuning it up properly, choosing quality flints, and learning how to manage them.

A number of the Pennsylvania-style caplocks may be converted back and forth from cap to flint by changing locks and substituting vents for drums. However, I think that your Hawken would require a barrel swap.

I have a pretty little 36 cal in southern mountain style. I have been using 000 buckshot for my ball ammo and it shoots ok. Make sure flint is sharp, and the frizzen is completely oil/grease free and dry and it is reliable and accurate.. It is a bit slow to load, my son commented "and they fought wars with these things" It seems as though the larger calibers load easier

I don't know about easier. I've never owned anything smaller than a .45, but I'd sure like to, either a .36 or a .32 -- 20 grains (or less) of powder goes a lot further than 70, not to mention that you get about 4 times the number of balls out of a pound of lead that I do for the .58 caliber Harper's Ferry, and almost twice as many I a can get out of the .45 for the Pennsylvania.

I don't know about easier. I've never owned anything smaller than a .45, but I'd sure like to, either a .36 or a .32 -- 20 grains (or less) of powder goes a lot further than 70, not to mention that you get about 4 times the number of balls out of a pound of lead that I do for the .58 caliber Harper's Ferry, and almost twice as many I a can get out of the .45 for the Pennsylvania.

I have a 50 cal percussion and it is much easier to load than the little 36. As I am not hunting, just shooting for fun I chose the little 36 for economy of shooting.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I agree, as do several states which do not allow them for primitive hunts -- side or under hammers only.

Sadly Michigan allows inline, scoped, electronically lit synthetic powdered rifles in laminate stocks during "primitive" season. It makes as much sense as allowing crossbows (stocked, scoped, 165 lb draw weight) during a three month long "archery" season.

.50 cal percussion, Hawkens. I built it from a kit in 1989. If I remember, it's a TC Contender. It looks like a show piece. I used it in Rendezvous.

I have a pretty little 36 cal in southern mountain style. I have been using 000 buckshot for my ball ammo and it shoots ok. Make sure flint is sharp, and the frizzen is completely oil/grease free and dry and it is reliable and accurate.. It is a bit slow to load, my son commented "and they fought wars with these things" It seems as though the larger calibers load easier

Rifle or smooth bore?

That's what I'm talking about! Allen Martin. .50 cal Shoots nice and straight

Attachments

• $P1010017 Barn gun 2.jpg
    $P1010017 Barn gun 2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 40
icon1.png

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jkingrph

Rifle or smooth bore?

Rifled​

Well, I'm back sliding. I just picked up a little Traditions .32 Deerhunter -- it uses them new-fangled nipple huggers. I'll get out with it this weekend and try to work up some loads for it.

Top Bottom