What's new

Replating questions.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I have a Fatboy I'm thinking of having replated, unfortunately I don't know much about it. What is the difference between the different options available? Nickel is the least expensive, presumably because it doesn't last as long or isn't as durable as Rhodium? Any information would be great...just looking for some education here. Thanks in advance!

Nickel will last your lifetime for sure. Rhodium is just an expensive metal. Chris (razorplate.com) does an amazing "replate" in bright Nickel! He is a member here and can answer any questions you might have. If it was me I would go with nickel and be happy!

Last edited:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Nickel will last your lifetime for sure. If it was me I would go with nickel and be happy!

Thank you! This answers my main question perfectly...I just wasn't sure if shelling out the extra cash would lend itself to a longer lasting finish or if it was simply due to the price of the metal used.

Nickel will last your lifetime for sure. Rhodium is just an expensive metal. Chris (razorplate.com) does an amazing bright Nickel! He is a member here and can answer any questions you might have. If it was me I would go with nickel and be happy!

+1 As John said, Chris is the guy to get the straight scoop, but the paperback version is nickel is what the factory used and with reasonable care will out last all of us. Most other plating materials need a base layer of nickel so you are paying "double" in a sense. While there are many nice materials nickel just works fine.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
I have a Fatboy I'm thinking of having replated, unfortunately I don't know much about it. What is the difference between the different options available? Nickel is the least expensive, presumably because it doesn't last as long or isn't as durable as Rhodium? Any information would be great...just looking for some education here. Thanks in advance!
The difference is IMHO that some vintage razors were made with an original plating in nickel and some in rhodium. The original plating is not always applied very well or might be worn after many years of usage. This is where the question of replating comes up. I think that a standard razor like the Fatboy should be replated in nickel (or gold) as the original was made. Many years ago I had a Fatboy replated in chrome, which was a mistake on my part. The razor looked very odd in the cold and bright chrome. I had no idea that the looks of a vintage Gillette could be spoiled in this way.

OTOH I have a US Aristocrat that is replated in rhodium and it looks very handsome and not off in any way at all. This is probably due to the fact that the British TTO Aristocrats were mostly plated in rhodium from the factory.

I have also noted that the color of a replate can vary a lot. I know that bright nickel and ordinary nickel varies but even rhodium can vary in color. In the pictures below I try to illustrate this. Of course this will not be notable on all screens on all devices. I have (since I am an amateur digital painter) a hardware color correction system (HueyPro on a IPS LED monitor) that makes this difference in hues noticeable on my monitor.

British Aristocrat #15 replated in rhodium, British set # 59 replated in bright nickel and US Aristocrat 1934 in darker rhodium

Two replates and two originals in rhodium. Notice the differences in the hues! British Aristocrats #16 and #22 above the '34 and the #15

I also have to mention the real advantage of rhodium plating: the razor does not tarnish from soap scum and it is extremely easy to clean with a soft toothbrush or an ultrasonic device.

Of course I cannot deny the simple fact that I do enjoy rhodium in the morning. :001_smile

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhodium is more brittle than Nickel. It will chip sometimes.

Just my observations when I have had other objects plated with Rhodium, besides razors.

Greg W.

Top Bottom