What's new

What do I have here?

Greetings straight shavers from a DE safety brother! When my Dad died a few years ago I found this razor among his things. To my knowledge he never used it, so it probably belonged to his dad or possibly his grandfather. I'd love to know something about it -- It's approximate age and an idea of its quality level. The inscription on the blade reads "Wagner Germany".

I gave it a good soak in mild dish soap to remove the accumulated dirt and soap residue, and then applied a light coat of Camellia oil that I use on my planes and chisels. It looks pretty good! If anyone can give me some info about it I'd be grateful. Thanks!

$image.jpg$image.jpg

I can't help with ID or info. Just wanted to congratulate you on the heirloom. if you are so inclined, you can get it honed up and give it a shave.

So it could either be a Richard Wagner of Solingen (Brand names: 'Riwaso', 'Hourglass', 'Censor') or since Wagner is a pretty common name, a generic hardware store/mail order/department store German import branded by the resaler.
The form factor is right for the later (typically about 5/8 and simple lines like yours).

I'm only guessing here, and I'd be more than happy to have someone tell me I'm out to lunch, but the blade may be silver steel hence the black oxidization. A little non-abrasive polish like Flitz should shine it up nicely, then get it honed up and give it a go.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I bet it got rusty and was treated with ospho or navel jelly. The discoloration, then, is iron phosphate.

I seriously doubt the rust hypothesis. I've had it for 16 years and it had no rust at all when I got it, nor has it had any since. My brother remembers seeing it at least 20 years ago and said it looked pretty much the same then as now. Maybe a touch darker now but memory over such a long time is . . . Well, you know.

If I remember correctly there are different common ferric oxides.
One is red (Fe2O3 - know as rust)
Another one (FeO) is black. Most likely that is what you have.
The good thing about FeO is that it provides a protecting layer and will prevent rust to some extent. Unlike rust it does not consume the metal until none is left.
Alas, it takes effort to clean up with sandpaper. A lot more than rust.

I think you are right Toto. Here is a portion of the information sent to me via PM by another member who has a 30 year love affair with steel, knives, sharpening, etc. It is his take on the oxidation:
" . . . . . most older blades of any kind whether knife or razor were some variant of carbon
steel...what is protecting the blade from rusting is that beautiful
gray patina which is oxidation that actually works to protect the
metal from rusting.

I have forced a patina with acidic things such as mustard to speed up
the process...but the best and more durable is just from air and use.
I'm sure it is a carbon steel, more than likely 1075 or 1095 which was
prevalent during the early and mid 20th century...I would do no more
to the blade than you have done other than restore the primary bevel
if needed and then hone...the patina on this blade is to die
for...beautiful piece. Just keep the polish away!"

I will definitely keep the polish away, because I now know the patina is a protection against rust, and because I love the genuine vintage look. I have preserved this type of patina on the antique tools that I sometimes restore for the appearance alone, and now I will continue with the knowledge that it protects as well! There is no better forum on the web than B&B!

Top Bottom