What's new

new here to the nib

I am new to the nib. I have always loved fountian pens. Always liked the classic-ness of them I guess. My question is where should I start with getting my first pen to use (I have a FP from my wife's great grand parents, which I choose to keep in a safe place and look at it but never use it in case its lost or I break it.) So where,what should I look for? Also I am a law enforcement officer so its not really for work. Thanks all

Many people do use restored vintage fountain pens; today I'm carrying around a Sheaffer's Flat Top from the 1930s. It has no personal association, just something I picked up on eBay for $18.50, and fixed up with new sac that cost me under $2.00. Depending on what your inherited pen is you might eventually learn enough about fountain pens to feel comfortable writing with it, or not.

Either way, it's probably best to start with a not too expensive modern pen and learn the basics of using one. The angle to the paper will be a bit shallower than you're used to with a ballpoint. You should be able to write with almost no pressure. Flow problems are not uncommon and need to be troubleshot, but pressing down hard is never the answer to getting the ink flowing, even if it works temporarily. Sometimes a new pen benefits by being flushed out with water before the first use. There is a large number of "good starter pens" that anyone here could rattle off at the drop of the hat. I think I'll leave the specific model recommendations to others. I have pens that I like now, and haven't really used the usual "starter" suspects in some time. If you allow up to $50 for the pen alone, you have a wide choice, and might get something you'll be happy with for under $20.

You'll need to think about the qualities of the ink you want ahead of time. For example, many popular inks are not water resistant, and you would not want to write a check with them. Water resistant inks are available, and no problem really, but some may require that you clean the pen more often. Some inks are meant for dip pens rather than fountain pens, and will clog the latter. Don't use India ink in a fountain pen. There are many popular brands, but I like the old advice of buying an ink made by a pen manufacturer. In my case I like Pilot/Namiki (same maker different name) and Sailor inks.

Paper quality is more important than with ballpoints. Cheaper papers will cause water based inks to spread out and bleed through to the other side of the page. Some inexpensive papers available at normal stores do well enough, but again I'll let others mention specifics. Clairefontaine makes some notebooks that are not too expensive, and that's what I'm using right now for a journal.

Welcome to the nib, and I hope this helps. Others will be along presently with more information, I'm sure. :thumbup:

welcome to the nib, great to see another new face join us. Great hand down, Pens make a great keepsake from a different era, I often wonder if there is anything that children will have left to them as we dont seem to make things that last like that anymore.

As for a pen, any idea on a budget you feel comfortable with ?, there are many great pens in all price ranges, it would help if we could match you to the best pen in your range

For a price range I was thinking, to start with no more then 75-100 dollars? Just until I understand what I am doing and learn how to use, clean, and maintain it the right way.

Welcome! There are lots of great pens to be had in that price range and below. I prefer Pilots just because I like a finer nib, but the Metropolitan makes a great starter from what I've heard. You could also try their Prera since the nib is VERY easy to swap out.

In that price range you may like the TWSBI 580, it will also leave you enough left over for some ink, as well as a pad or two of paper.

You should check out GouletPens, they will have a lot of ink to look at, but you can break it down by colour. Inks from Pelikan, Sailor, R&K, Pilot, Platinum, Waterman, Aurora, Visconti, Lamy, Diamine, J. Herban are all good stuff.

If you see a pen you like but are unsure, you can always post back here and we can give you our thoughts on them. If you like the Pilot Prera, dont buy it from Goulets, they can be had for almost half the price here http://www.engeika.com/product-group/21, you may have to sign up to see that, its safe to do so, and they dont spam you, but for 30 dollars its a nice pen.

Welcome to "The Nib"!!! At that price range you will get many suggestions, both vintage and new/modern. One of the cheap papers to look at is NORCOM Composition books, but make sure you get the "Made in Brazil" ones as they are fountain pen friendly.

Tom

Welcome to the NIB. As a long-ago reserve officer I can say that trying to use a FP for work is difficult. Today I guess most reports are done on a computer. Back in the day it was all hand written with many forms in duplicate. I was looked at askance when I pulled my FP out once...only once.

That being said, there was a LEO who did use one for writing reports while in the station. I guess today with roller-balls and gel-pens FP ink looks pretty much the same. Black is black no matter what kind of pen it comes out of.

So, start with an inexpensive pen. Pilot 78g ($10) or Metropolitan ($15) plus an converter or cartridges. Try it for a while and if you find you like it then buy one in your original price range.

Welcome to the forum. I think Syngent has hit the nail on the head. For the money you're planning on spending, the TWSBI 580 is pretty hard to beat. You get a lot of pen for you money with the TWSBI. I really like mine.

strop

Now half as wise
I haven't used a Platinum Plaisr for a while, since I gave it to someone to et them started, but I remember it as a nice solid starter pen that writes very smooth and wont break the bank.

JMJ -

Welcome to the Nib. I am relatively new to fountain pens and am an LEO as well. I carry a Parker Urban with a fine nib to work with me. The body of the pen is pretty tough and even the fine nib I can 'press' down if I need to write through carbon copies. I also have a Pilot Prera pen that is a little smaller and has a real fine nib.

They both fit fine in my shirt pocket, but I also keep my 'key' there and it has rubbed some of the finish off of my Urban. I use them both in the 'field' with no problems.

Good luck brother.

YBIC
Mike

A box arrived at my house!! Cant wait to get off work crack it open and start learning about fountain pens! I will post pictures when i can. Thanks all for your input and help

So, start with an inexpensive pen. Pilot 78g ($10) or Metropolitan ($15) plus an converter or cartridges. Try it for a while and if you find you like it then buy one in your original price range.

I agree with Phil. Starting out, stay in the entry level range and find out if you even like using a fountain pen, can keep it filled and writing, and can hang on to it without losing it (my greatest fear).

I ended up going with 3 different pens... I got a pilot metro "m" nib, lamy safari "B" nin and twasbi 580 "B" nib

For inks i went with noodlers borealis black with free pen and noodlers 54th mass. with free pen. So far i love the twsbi but i think bold nib is not for me I am going to look for a fine nib later today. The lamy is very touchy just cant seem to get her to start and it seems she likes to skip once i get her to write. And i have not ise the metro yet. Also the noodler free pen is great i love that one as well i think its a fine or ef not really sure.

strop

Now half as wise
I ended up going with 3 different pens... I got a pilot metro "m" nib, lamy safari "B" nin and twasbi 580 "B" nib

For inks i went with noodlers borealis black with free pen and noodlers 54th mass. with free pen. So far i love the twsbi but i think bold nib is not for me I am going to look for a fine nib later today. The lamy is very touchy just cant seem to get her to start and it seems she likes to skip once i get her to write. And i have not ise the metro yet. Also the noodler free pen is great i love that one as well i think its a fine or ef not really sure.

I've never seen instructions come with pens, but most here have found that most new pens will benefit from a thorough flushing with copious amounts of cool to room temp water. Some use a 10 ammonia solution but I've never felt the need myself. There can be bits of stuff and lubricants from the manufacturing process that can cause the skipping and other issues. Give them a good flush and see how they write.

Top Bottom