What's new

Post what nagging injury you have, but still exercise/workout with it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
How did all these injuries occur, were you a football player?
No, not sports related, work related, I've been an ICU nurse for 30 years. In the ICU patients are usually very debilitated and often are morbidly obese. They have to be re-positioned in bed every few hours and often can't even roll over on their own. In nursing, it is very hard to use proper body mechanics when lifting and pulling on these heavy weights. It's difficult to keep your spine straight to protect it as you are forced to bend forward over a patient's bed to pull them up or roll them over. It is not uncommon to have patients who weigh over 400 pounds and we even had one patient who weighed a true 1,000 lbs!! The SLAP shoulder injuries are from puling these heavy patients up in the bed, as gravity causes them to slide down when the head of the bed is raised and they are too weak to scoot themselves up as you or I would do. Think of standing at a waist high bench with a sack of Quickcrete just to your left of center. Now twist your waist to the left and bend forward as you grab that bag of concrete and slide it along the bench to the right ending with your waist twisted to the right. That is the motion you go through to pull a patient up in their bed and you do it many times a day and that was just 80 lbs for the sack of concrete, most of our patients are at least 200 to 400 pounds. It plays havoc on the spine, shoulders, elbows and wrists. That motion results in abduction and external rotation of the humerus, a motion not unlike the "wind up" of pitching a base ball or swinging a hammer. Just without the overhead aspect. Baseball pitchers can get SLAP tears in their shoulder as do manual laborers who swing heavy tools.

Last edited:
No, not sports related, work related, I've been an ICU nurse for 30 years. In the ICU patients are usually very debilitated and often are morbidly obese. They have to be re-positioned in bed every few hours and often can't even roll over on their own. In nursing, it is very hard to use proper body mechanics when lifting and pulling on these heavy weights. It's difficult to keep your spine straight to protect it as you are forced to bend forward over a patient's bed to pull them up or roll them over. It is not uncommon to have patients who weigh over 400 pounds and we even had one patient who weighed a true 1,000 lbs!! The SLAP shoulder injuries are from puling these heavy patients up in the bed, as gravity causes them to slide down when the head of the bed is raised and they are too weak to scoot themselves up as you or I would do. Think of standing at a waist high bench with a sack of Quickcrete just to your left of center. Now twist your waist to the left and bend forward as you grab that bag of concrete and slide it along the bench to the right ending with your waist twisted to the right. That is the motion you go through to pull a patient up in their bed and you do it many times a day and that was just 80 lbs for the sack of concrete, most of our patients are at least 200 to 400 pounds. It plays havoc on the spine, shoulders, elbows and wrists. That motion results in abduction and external rotation of the humerus, a motion not unlike the "wind up" of pitching a base ball or swinging a hammer. Just without the overhead aspect. Baseball pitchers can get SLAP tears in their shoulder as do manual laborers who swing heavy tools.
So can you take pain meds or do you get tested ?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I usually take Ibuprofen during the day when I need it, helps some, but there is always chronic pain to one degree or another, sometimes I just deal with it. If I'm really, really hurting at night I will use prescription narcs, but not very often, I try to use the least amount of pain meds possible, they ALL have bad side effects. Hard on your liver, stomach, kidneys, etc.

I usually take Ibuprofen during the day when I need it, helps some, but there is always chronic pain to one degree or another, sometimes I just deal with it. If I'm really, really hurting at night I will use prescription narcs, but not very often, I try to use the least amount of pain meds possible, they ALL have bad side effects. Hard on your liver, stomach, kidneys, etc.
I take Tylenol and advil like M&Ms, stopped taking Percosets 2 years ago

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Be careful with how much Tylenol you take in a day, particularly if you drink alcohol with any regularity. Really dangerous to your liver. Ibuprofen (advil) can be rough on your kidneys if you are not properly hydrated.

I have a metal splint that runs from knee to ankle that repaired a Tib-Fib break in 1979. It was supposed to be a temporary, 6-month implant, but when the surgeons tried to remove it, it would not come out. So they just left it in there and told me it wouldn't bother me.

Well, it does bother me. Especially in the winter. The pain can be intense. Its just a nuisance when I'm on my feet during the work-day, but when I lie down and try to go to sleep, it really starts to scream.

I lived with this for years, and treated it with Ibuprofen and other OTC pain-killers. Also generous doses of Scotch. Nothing would relieve the pain long enough to let me get to sleep.

Then, about 2 years ago, I discovered Arnica. This is a homeopathic, OTC pain reliever that you can find in health-food stores and upscale supermarkets and pharmacies. It comes in gel form and salve that you apply topically, and tablets that you can take internally for over-all relief.

Since I discovered this, I'm never without it. I apply it liberally to my shin when the pain is there, and daily rub some on the bottoms of my feet before I go to work. I've turned a few co-workers on to this wonder-drug and now, they swear by it, too.

You might have to ask someone to help you find it, since its usually buried in the wall of dozens of brand-choices of Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and NSAID.

Be careful with how much Tylenol you take in a day, particularly if you drink alcohol with any regularity. Really dangerous to your liver. Ibuprofen (advil) can be rough on your kidneys if you are not properly hydrated.
Thanks for the advice. I'm lucky I don't drink alcohol. But instead I drink tons of water.

I have a metal splint that runs from knee to ankle that repaired a Tib-Fib break in 1979. It was supposed to be a temporary, 6-month implant, but when the surgeons tried to remove it, it would not come out. So they just left it in there and told me it wouldn't bother me.

Well, it does bother me. Especially in the winter. The pain can be intense. Its just a nuisance when I'm on my feet during the work-day, but when I lie down and try to go to sleep, it really starts to scream.

I lived with this for years, and treated it with Ibuprofen and other OTC pain-killers. Also generous doses of Scotch. Nothing would relieve the pain long enough to let me get to sleep.

Then, about 2 years ago, I discovered Arnica. This is a homeopathic, OTC pain reliever that you can find in health-food stores and upscale supermarkets and pharmacies. It comes in gel form and salve that you apply topically, and tablets that you can take internally for over-all relief.

Since I discovered this, I'm never without it. I apply it liberally to my shin when the pain is there, and daily rub some on the bottoms of my feet before I go to work. I've turned a few co-workers on to this wonder-drug and now, they swear by it, too.

You might have to ask someone to help you find it, since its usually buried in the wall of dozens of brand-choices of Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and NSAID.
I see many options.. which one is your choice ?

$Screenshot_20160630-212829.jpg$Screenshot_20160630-212819.jpg

I'm getting some

Check back in a week and let us know what you think.

I've converted a few of my friends and co-workers to using Arnica and not one of them has gone back to using their previous pain-killers.

I buy mine based solely on price ... I haven't found any difference in efficacy between any of the various brands I've tried. I get the tablet version sometime for over-all pain relief, but they tend to be expensive. The gel version costs me about $0.50/day with constant use.

I've converted a few of my friends and co-workers to using Arnica and not one of them has gone back to using their previous pain-killers.

I buy mine based solely on price ... I haven't found any difference in efficacy between any of the various brands I've tried. I get the tablet version sometime for over-all pain relief, but they tend to be expensive. The gel version costs me about $0.50/day with constant use.
OK, will do :thumbup1:

Thanks for the military service.....off to the sides?

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been away for awhile. When I say off to the side, I mean I had xrays to see why my knees hurt. Instead of being in the groove where your knee cap is supposed to be, it is off to the outside on both knees. So I get a clicking sometimes and severe pain if jam it. I still play men's softball, so the running can sometimes irritate the hell out of it.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been away for awhile. When I say off to the side, I mean I had xrays to see why my knees hurt. Instead of being in the groove where your knee cap is supposed to be, it is off to the outside on both knees. So I get a clicking sometimes and severe pain if jam it. I still play men's softball, so the running can sometimes irritate the hell out of it.
If I were you i would concentrate on non impact sports, such as swimming, biking.

Still looking

Been blasting my arms lately. ...darn bicep is )killing me, the reattached tendons area is really torturing me.

Today I went on my first run in a few months, nothing too strenuous, an easy 2.5 miles. Was walking through the kitchen tonight a few hours post-run and collapsed when my knees simultaneously decided to rebel against me. When I hit the floor I thought, oh that was strange! After a few minutes of poking and prodding, I got to my feet and went straight for the 600mg ibuprofen. If this was any indication of things to come, tomorrow will be a rough day.

Still looking

[MENTION=12410]alex2363[/MENTION] ... did you find any Arnica yet?

If not, I get mine from Amazon ... great price, fast service.
I've even got the 1^month subscription on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Arnic...id=1474876639&sr=8-3&keywords=arnica+gel&th=1

There having some kind of 20%=coupon sale when I view this page.
The coupon may or may not show up at your end,
but Arnica is worth it even at Azn Feg. Price of $6.88

Arnica really does the job when it comes to pain relief.
Check it out.

Top Bottom