What's new

Where's the beef?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thought I'd put this here instead of the Thin Blue as it's related to Chris' PIF.

Last night was ribeye using the New Zealand seasoning. SWMBO thought she smelled something like bay leaf in it but it didn't taste like it. Kind of hard to describe the taste as it is different than the spices I'm used to using.

Seasoned up the steak, let it sit for a bit, then on the grill. Served up with some fried squash and baked 'tater.

Sure was good. Gonna try some chicken next time.

Attachments

• $015.jpg
    $015.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 50
  • $019.jpg
    $019.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 50
  • $021.jpg
    $021.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 50
  • $004.jpg
    $004.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 50

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That steak looks perfect Mike.
The Kiwi seasoning contains horopiti pepper leaves. It is a mountain pepper bush native to NZ. It has a hot flavour that creeps up on you, unlike the instant heat of chilli.
I guessing this may be what your wife was smelling but as it does not list all the herbs and spices it is hard to say.

The brand is Simon Gault who is a celebrity chef and judge of Master Chef with award winning restaurants here in NZ.
from his web site he list a few recipes using the seasoning.
http://www.simongault.com/index.php/recipes/itemlist/category/13-kiwi-mint

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for the link Cris. I'll have to instigate, umm, I mean investigate, the flavors more.

Aaron, I think the smokiness of the lump charcoal was competing with the seasoning. I'm going to try it on some scrambled eggs tomorrow and see how it goes.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The first herb I smell is thyme. I would think it would need to be cooked for a couple of minutes to impart its flavour.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks for the link Cris. I'll have to instigate, umm, I mean investigate, the flavors more.

Aaron, I think the smokiness of the lump charcoal was competing with the seasoning. I'm going to try it on some scrambled eggs tomorrow and see how it goes.

Scrambled eggs with anything Chris sends you is probably going to be pretty dang good.

The first herb I smell is thyme. I would think it would need to be cooked for a couple of minutes to impart its flavour.

I could only imagine.

Top Bottom