What's new

What should I upgrade to?

Just started shaving with a DE razor, and I love it! Currently, I have an inexpensive razor that works great with no problems. However, like I said, it's inexpensive and the build quality isn't the greatest--- rough edges, unpolished chrome, etc... I would like to make this a travel razor, but what would be a good razor to upgrade to? I'm not necessarily looking for another beginners razor, just a nice upgrade.

I agree. Slim is one razor with many different shaves. Also, consider a vintage Super Speed. You'll thank us later.

Vintage Gillette has great build quality. Pick up a slim adjustable for ~$30 and you won't grow out of it.

It depends on your budget and how many times you want to upgrade. I would skip all of the Zamak stuff entirely which includes pretty much all of the lower priced modern razors like Edwin Jagger and Merkur and many others.

If you want a small upgrade find a vintage Gillette razor, clean it up with something like barbicide and use it. Many people new to this are sometimes freaked out about using a used razor but a quick ten minute soak in a mixture of Barbicide and water according to the instructions kills about every communicable disease that's could potentially be found on a razor including HIV, and all of the Hep viruses. You can get large bottle at the local Sally's Beauty Supply for around seven bucks. A Vintage razor will likely give you a better shave than what you are currently using and you can find many vintage razor on the auction site in the $5 to $30 range. Some collectible models have higher price tags but there are a lot of very usable razors out there for a low cost. As recommended above the Gillette Slim is a good choice. Vintage razors might not shave as well as some of the newer all stainless steel offerings but they were made of brass and were made in a time when products were built to last a lifetime. Plus it's fun to shave with a razor that your Father or Grandfather might have used.

If you want to upgrade one time and never have to do it again then buy an Above the Tie (ATT) razor. I'd recommend their Kronos S2 razor which is an open comb slant version. This is not a cheap razor at $185 but it's worth every cent considering it will give you much enjoyment every day for the rest of your life then you can pass it onto your grandson who can shave with it every day for the rest of his life as well. It's seriously about the very best quality money can buy. Buy it directly from ATT and if you don't like it you can send it back within 30 days for a full refund or trade it for a different model to try out. Stan will even let you switch razors multiple times to find the one that is right for you.

Last edited:
Muhle R89 is by far and away the best quality razor I have ever used, followed by the Edwin Jagger DE89.

The problem with the vintage razors are they are not always easy to find. I wanted to buy a Gillette NEW one time and I got tired of chasing them on eBay.
I suggest a Merkur HD 34c. Nice solid razor with a nice balance. It is one of the largest selling razors in the world and with good reason, it's a great razor.

$Merkur 34c.jpg

When I was at a similar phase of the DE journey, I took the advice of the people who recommended buying a Slim. I used that for the the next 6 months or so, trying out different levels of aggressiveness and came to the conclusion that I liked milder settings. That's when I snagged a Feather AS-D2 from the B/S/T, which became my daily driver. I sold the Slim (which was probably a mistake) because, as my technique got better, I've come to realize that I would like to go up the aggressiveness scale a bit on some days (I have a Wolfman SB on order to scratch that itch).

dfoulk's advice on the Barbicide is on the money if you get a used razor of any vintage.

I've been thinking about a vintage razor as well, but if I get one, I'll probably also get a new one. I've read that there might be some issues with the EJ DE89, such as the head screw braking off... Have y'all heard about this? Also, I ordered some PAA soap, specifically "The Beach" and I love it! I noticed that they have there own brand of razor called the Symmetry that has some very good reviews. If I paired this razor with a shorter handle, I think it would be great!

I've been thinking about a vintage razor as well, but if I get one, I'll probably also get a new one. I've read that there might be some issues with the EJ DE89, such as the head screw braking off... Have y'all heard about this? Also, I ordered some PAA soap, specifically "The Beach" and I love it! I noticed that they have there own brand of razor called the Symmetry that has some very good reviews. If I paired this razor with a shorter handle, I think it would be great!

You can't buy a new vintage razor. They don't make them anymore.

I suggest a Merkur HD 34c. Nice solid razor with a nice balance. It is one of the largest selling razors in the world and with good reason, it's a great razor.
+1 ... the Merkur HD belongs in everybody's shave-den. It is the only DE razor I ever bought new (I got the 34G, gold-plated,) and although I've gone through dozens of other razors over the last 7 years, I keep coming back to this one. When the threads pop up to discuss our "Deserted Island Kit" this is the razor I would want with me.

If you're concerned about poor finish and build quality with your present razor, you'll find the same thing is true of most Merkurs. Its not pretty to look at, it is prone to scratches and the plating will flake off. But if all you want out of your next razor is a good shave, this is it.

The modern razor heads give a better shave than the vintage ones in my experience, I say this as a user of a vintage gillette slim adjustable. I also have a lord l6 and that is a smoother shave at setting 5 of my gillette. But the adjustability of the gillette means I can tune it to for each shave so it's been my goto razor for a few years now. I finally decided to geta Mergress to have the best of both worlds. I wouldnt say the old razors have better build quality either. Vintage razors feel very flimsy compared to modern merkur/muhle/jagger kit, the main difference being they're made from zamec an alloy of zinc alluminium magnesium copper while the vintage stuff is brass an alloy of zinc and copper. There have been only a handful of failures of zamec razors over many thousands made over several years but having just spent over $100 on a mergress (a zamac razor) I wont say I'm not a little concerned.

Top Bottom