What's new

My first Moka Pot! Advice needed!

First time posting in this forum, a lot of great info. Anyways, I drink coffee mainly at work (Maxwell House), but decided I wanted to expand my horizons (or create a new obsession, as my wife pointed out) and bought my first Moka Pot yesterday to use at home, a Bialetti 6 cup (don't worry I did not use Maxwell House in it). Read the directions and instructions from people online about using low to med. heat to boil the water. However, I have an electric stove and it seems like it takes forever, definitely not the 5+/- people said. Long story short, I also read that some people use high heat setting on an electric stove. Which should I be using? I do use warm water in it. I am just confused. Should I be worried about burning the coffee on the high setting? Other information I read said, it might burn the coffee on the low-med setting since it is exposed to the heat longer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I start with water so hot that I can just barely hold the bottom of the moka pot to screw it together. Are you grinding your own beans? If so, be sure not to grind too fine. Some people recommend a grind just a bit courser than an espresso grind, but I have found that to be much too fine. I go for a grind just a bit finer than a drip grind. And I don't pack or tamp at all. I preheat the electric stove (solid surface stove) and flow begins at approximately 3 to 3-1/2 minutes using medium heat setting. Perfecting a moka pot takes time. I've been at it for over a year...

Last edited:
I prefer using cold water and putting the Bialetti on the stove over medium to just-above-medium heat. Have not had any problems using this method to make amazing coffee using the 6-cup and the 12-cup. I've timed it and it takes just a bit over 10 minutes for the 12-cup to start pouring on an electric stove.

I have a 6 cup that I use on a gas stove at med heat. It takes 7-10 minutes I would say to start making coffee.

I think medium or high heat is fine on your electric stove to get brewing started. The heating "issue" is more focused on turning the heat off once the coffee starts brewing so as not to heat the coffee in the top chamber after it is brewed, thus, cooking it again, which can add a bitter taste.

I would also caution the use of warm / hot water to make coffee or cook with if you use a water heater or have lead pipes (unless of course you are boiling it in a separate pot on your stove and then putting it into your moka pot, which would likely take more time than just waiting on the moka pot or use a tankless water heater). Water heaters can be very disgusting on the inside and dont produce clean or clean tasting water.

The heating "issue" is more focused on turning the heat off once the coffee starts brewing so as not to heat the coffee in the top chamber after it is brewed, thus, cooking it again, which can add a bitter taste.

+1 I take mine off the stove after it fills the top reservoir about halfway.

Pretty sure mine is a 3 cup. I put really hot water in to begin with to speed up the process. I turn my stove burner on to a 6. Takes about 5 minutes maybe less.

Personally, my daily cup of Joe is a dark roast K-Cup like Dark Magic mixed with a full moka pot of something strong like an espresso blend. I start my moka pot, then start my K-cup, but the time my K-cup is done and I transfer it to my large travel mug, my Moka pot is almost done and ready to add to it.

Maybe this seems like a bit of work for a cup of coffee, but it works for me. Gives me just the right strength, flavor, and volume of coffee that I need for the morning.

I have a 3-cup version. Cold water to just below the steam vent. . Medium heat on my electric stove. Listen for the burbles; once they stop, coffee is done. Five minutes.

I'm using Bustelo and loving it. But Illy Moka is even better, but costy. I am not a coffee perfectionist: no roasting, grinding, etc.

I live alone, so the three-cup version makes me a nice biggish cup of strong coffee, which I dump into a cappuccino cup, rather than into three little espresso cups.

Last edited:
I have one in my work kitchen. I usually fill it with hot water and set it on the flat top griddle with the lid open. I let it go until I see it start then close it. count to ten or so and pull it off. I use a finer drip grind since it is what I have the grinder set at home.

I'll top my travel mug off with hot water so I'm making more of an americano cup. It tastes great plain but I drink too many and get the coffee shakes after a couple !

I've been using my 1500 watt induction plate lately.

Works great :001_smile

proxy.php

Hi,
I pour water off the boil from my electric kettle into the bottom part (to fill line or just below), add screen and coffee, then gingerly screw on top part (watch them fingers), then slap it on the stove on medium heat. Takes about 2 min or so, maybe less. Have a peek to make sure the coffee "oozes" up nice n slow for the first half at least; if it shoots up all at once your grind may be too loose/coarse. I take it off the burner just as or just before it starts to sputter. Good luck!

Hi,
I pour water off the boil from my electric kettle into the bottom part (to fill line or just below), add screen and coffee, then gingerly screw on top part (watch them fingers), then slap it on the stove on medium heat. Takes about 2 min or so, maybe less. Have a peek to make sure the coffee "oozes" up nice n slow for the first half at least; if it shoots up all at once your grind may be too loose/coarse. I take it off the burner just as or just before it starts to sputter. Good luck!

*Just make sure you're not using hot tap water! After going through your water heater and hot water pipes, that stuff just doesn't taste as good (even if it smells fine). Don't forget the main ingredient in coffee is... water!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The bigger the pot, the longer it takes to boil (i.e. boiling a cup of coffee or 12 cups of coffee won't take the same time).

Medium heat is good. If you put warm or hot water in the bialetti to start with, it won't be as long as you are not starting with a colder temperature (of course).

I never used warm water in mine and had good coffee out of them. I normally filled the water to the safety valve, put the basket on it with the coffee. Close it and medium heat until it's blowing air.

You can do it on low heat but it's really long. I used to do that when I had a small gas oven where I would leave it on minimum and time to get out of the shower and shave, it would be ready.

My mother in law puts it to the max (high heat) and it comes up quickly. Some start it high and then lower the temperature.

Top Bottom