What's new

Question regarding Argan Oil

I came across a bottle of Argan Oil at a Marshall's recently. I decided to pick it up as I like the scent of the Argan Oil bath soap I use in the shower and thought I might use the Argan Oil as a pre-shave oil. The Argan Oil bottle says it's for use in hair (to make it more manageable and reduce frizziness) so I figured using it on facial hair should be fine.

My question is, is it fine to use as a pre-shave oil or is there something special about the formulation of pre-shave oil versus oil one finds in a hair product?

Tim

It definitely softens and conditions hair. I think it is generally in small concentrations in most hair products. I don't know if any of them that are straight argan oil.
I can't see why you couldn't try it as a preshave. Maybe it would work.

Argan oil is used in tiny amounts as a hair conditioner and it really works well.

I bought some from iHerb recently with the specific plan of trying it out not so much as a pre shave oil because I've been down the pre shave path and didn't think it helped much, but as post shave skin moisturising in my home made concotion with essential oils and witch hazel.

I bought a pure product but I suspect that yours would be a prepared product already diluted for use as a conditioner so it's probably good to go for your pre shave trial.

I had half a bottle of AoS sandalwood PSO that I topped up with 100% argon oil. Makes for a much better PSO, in my opinion.

Yes, you can use pure Argan oil as a preshave.
I tend to use a couple of drops (2-3) during showering before I straight razor shave.

Of all the oils, Argan oil has one of the best skin & hair benefits and the oil is absorbed easily by the skin or hair.

There is no magic to pre-shave oil. Most companies use a combination of light and heavy carrier oils to create their desired consistency. Cost is also a factor. Some carrier oils are inexpensive (grapeseed; meadowfoam; castor oil; coconut) while others are very expensive (argan; primrose). It is very unlikely that your argan oil is pure. Most likely it is already mixed with inexpensive oils. Another thing to consider is that some oils clog pores (comedogenic). Coconut oil is getting great press these day, but it is highly comedogenic. Castor oil, surprisingly since it is so heavy, is not comedogenic.

The first link is to a site which discusses the comedogenic properties of carrier oils. The second is to a site which discusses the general properties of carrier oils.

https://bellanina101.wordpress.com/...-oils-and-fractionated-vs-virgin-coconut-oil/

http://www.natural-remedies-for-skin-care.com/carrier-oils.html

It's fine you can use it as pre-shave oil. I use olive oil as preshave oil and it works great. I think you can use any oil as a preshave oil.

Thanks for all the reassuring information and links for further reading.

I will definitely give it a try as a pre-shave oil. It's funny that it was not until I got the bottle home that I saw it was talking about hair care and thick, voluminous hair that I started questioning about using the oil to "cut hair off"!

Tim

I honestly use this stuff as a post shave oil. I only would apply pure Argan oil though as I had some side effects when I used an argan oil infused product with my sensitive face. My skin heals post shave very fast when I dab Argan oil on my face. I have to stress using a pure Argan oil product though, you don't want a bad reaction.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great link list ... mineral oil got a zero on the pore-clog-scale, so that's a relief.

Castor oil was only a "1", not really bad ...

AA

Top Bottom