What's new

Stretching Vintage Red Wings

So, the thrift shop I frequent finnaly has a pair of vintage redwings, only trouble is they're an 11D and i ussually wear a 13D. I've never stretched boots, is 2 sizes to much to expect? Any suggestions?

$uploadfromtaptalk1438281008045.jpg

I have had a pair of boots stretched, hoping to get from an 11 to 11.5. The boots still are uncomfortable.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
You would be stretching it - pun intended.
Normally, you can stretch the width a bit, but I doubt one could stretch lengthwise 2 sizes.

Last edited:
If they are less than $10, I'd just pick them up anyway and see if they clean up nice. You could never stretch them that much though.

How do you stretch shoes? I purchased a pair of Alden Indy boots based on recommendations and have been extremely disappointed. They are just a little bit to tight.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Best bet take them to a good cobbler; he'll have the right equipment.

Yes a cobbler should be able to stretch them. They have what is basically shoe trees that can be cranked once inserted into the shoe so it exerts more pressure than a regular shoe tree. I think they also wet the shoes with a water alcohol mix that helps make the leather pliable.

How long have you worn them? I recently got a pair of AE Longbranch in a 9 D. I usually wear an E on that last because my right foot is slightly larger than my left. At first the right boot was very tight, but after about a month of wearing them every other to every 3rd day, and keeping them on shoe trees when not in use, the leather has stretched to a point where they are very comfortable.

Top Bottom