What's new

Next step from a Merkur 34C?

I'm looking to make another DE razor purchase. My first DE razor was the Merkur 34C so I don't want to jump from that to something really aggressive. Looking for some recommendations for a good 2nd purchase that's more aggressive than a 34C, but not at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Thanks!

If you want to go vintage, the Gillette Slim Adjustable is a great razor. It will also allow you to experiment with different setting to find out what you really like in a a razor.

Save the money and try a sharper blade. I have spent over $ 1000.00 on razors and just started using my 34C again and think its one of my favorites.But if you really want to Above The Tie Razors are excellent.

If you want to go vintage, the Gillette Slim Adjustable is a great razor. It will also allow you to experiment with different setting to find out what you really like in a a razor.

I started with a 34C, moved to an ATT R2, then to an H2, which I use most of the time. I also use a variety of open combs described generally as "aggressive." I don't use my 34C anymore. Your optimal journey may be different.

If you want to go new and not cripple your wallet I find that my Maggard MR5 is a step more aggressive than my 34c.

But trolling through junk and antique stores for a nice old Gillette is great fun.
Just last Saturday I scored a '52 Gillette Black Tip for $5.
Cleaned it up and shaved with it the next morning.

My second razor was a Muhle R106. I highly recommend it. It's substantially different than the 34c as far as looks, feel, weight, and size, but not any more aggressive. I felt I had more enjoyable shaves with the Muhle. It was exceptionally smooth, felt good In the hand and I ended up primarily using that over the 34C. After the Muhle, I tried an ATT and was blown away; sold both the 34C and Muhle. If I could have one back, I'd go with the Muhle.

Oddly enough, with an IP Red inside, my 34C is better at finishing a three pass started with my K1 Slim than finishing with the Slim. Dunno where the razor was labeled as a beginner's shaving tool. Nothing wrong with the Slim, but some days I am sure my 34C is the better choice. Advice? Go get a good Slim as a compliment!

Get this time an open comb so you get to try a such one too! If you want a bit more aggressive razor, try to get any version of the 3-piece Perl open comb. However, only buy it from a reputable seller and ask them to verify the alignment pins are in the middle as this is a pretty common flaw.

If you want to hardly jump up on the scale at all, go for a Parker open comb (24C or 26C).

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I started with an HD as well and have now used the 39c Slant Sledgehammer, 38c "Barberpole", 47c "Engine Turned", 41c/42c "1904" with open and closed combs, and EJ DE89. I guess I like Merkurs. Anyway, here's how they compare to the 34c to me, in the order I first used them:

39c - much more efficient, but not harsher. Shaves are both closer and last longer. I like the long and heavy handle better than the 34c. No regrets picking this up as a second razor. Still my favorite.
47c - three piece Merkurs are slightly milder than two-piece Merkurs, and that's true here too. A little smoother and less efficient than the HD. I love this one for its handle.
41c OC - probably the mildest razor currently in production. The whole "open comb leaves more lather on your face" thing seems to work, making this one extraordinarily comfortable. However, I can't get BBS with it, but that's okay on the weekends.
42c CC (actually the 47c head on the 41c handle, but same same) - Similar to the 47c, but with a much shorter and lighter handle. Felt very similar to the HD, but not as efficient
EJ DE89 - my only non-Merkur. Smoother and less efficient than the HD, but not by much. It mostly just feels different; I'm not sure how to describe it. It works better than the HD with certain blades, so I like it for that. I prefer the EJ head on the awesome 47c handle, thanks to its three-piece-ability.
38c - Shaves almost exactly the same as the HD, but I like its longer handle better. Prettier too, especially the red one I got. It matches my Cella tub for cheesy SOTD pics:thumbup1:.

So, based on my experience, I would say that if you want something similar to the HD, but with a longer handle, the 38c or 47c would be right up your alley. If you want to jump into a slant, go for it. I did not have any trouble making the switch. If you are looking for something milder, than either of the 1904 models or the EJ would suit you. I haven't used any of the aggressive OCs yet, but I feel plenty confident in my technique that I would go for it, given the opportunity.

Thanks for all the suggestions. To clarify, I have been using the 34C for a while and have tried 5-6 blades and settled with Feathers for now. That vintage slim looks sweet!

The Merkur 34C as I recall is the Merkur HD.

Your next razor should be a Merkur 37C, the Slant razor. Consider the Merkur Slant to be an improved HD, but it is not scary aggressive.

tankerjohn

The Merkur 34C as I recall is the Merkur HD.

Your next razor should be a Merkur 37C, the Slant razor. Consider the Merkur Slant to be an improved HD, but it is not scary aggressive.

True statement - 34C is the model number for the HD

OP should go 37C if he likes the size the size of the 34C. If he wants to experiment with a longer handle, go 39C.

I started with an HD as well and have now used the 39c Slant Sledgehammer, 38c "Barberpole", 47c "Engine Turned", 41c/42c "1904" with open and closed combs, and EJ DE89. I guess I like Merkurs. Anyway, here's how they compare to the 34c to me, in the order I first used them:

39c - much more efficient, but not harsher. Shaves are both closer and last longer. I like the long and heavy handle better than the 34c. No regrets picking this up as a second razor. Still my favorite.
47c - three piece Merkurs are slightly milder than two-piece Merkurs, and that's true here too. A little smoother and less efficient than the HD. I love this one for its handle.
41c OC - probably the mildest razor currently in production. The whole "open comb leaves more lather on your face" thing seems to work, making this one extraordinarily comfortable. However, I can't get BBS with it, but that's okay on the weekends.
42c CC (actually the 47c head on the 41c handle, but same same) - Similar to the 47c, but with a much shorter and lighter handle. Felt very similar to the HD, but not as efficient
EJ DE89 - my only non-Merkur. Smoother and less efficient than the HD, but not by much. It mostly just feels different; I'm not sure how to describe it. It works better than the HD with certain blades, so I like it for that. I prefer the EJ head on the awesome 47c handle, thanks to its three-piece-ability.
38c - Shaves almost exactly the same as the HD, but I like its longer handle better. Prettier too, especially the red one I got. It matches my Cella tub for cheesy SOTD pics:thumbup1:.

So, based on my experience, I would say that if you want something similar to the HD, but with a longer handle, the 38c or 47c would be right up your alley. If you want to jump into a slant, go for it. I did not have any trouble making the switch. If you are looking for something milder, than either of the 1904 models or the EJ would suit you. I haven't used any of the aggressive OCs yet, but I feel plenty confident in my technique that I would go for it, given the opportunity.

Very useful thank you for this man

tankerjohn

Very useful thank you for this man
Hey, you're welcome! Glad that old post was still useful. I have to say that since writing it, I've gotten into vintage Gillettes in a big way and these days my hands down favorite razor is the Red Tip. So I have to agree with ThomasB. Imagine a razor with the efficiency of the HD, but exponentially smoother. Like, it doesn't even feel like a blade is touching your face-smooth. But then you notice the water in the sink is full of stubble and your mug is smooth as glass and its like daaaaaam! Anyway, Red Tip - great razor.

Top Bottom